A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke

hi there,

i have 2009 A4 2.0 tdi with CAGA engine.the car has only 3000 miles on clock but when i drive the 75 mph and go for a stop at that moment there is a lot of white smoke from tail pipe.i check the engine oil and coolant they are fine they are upto maximum level mean no external leak and no fault recorded.any help greatly appreciated
Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by shazoo
hi there,

i have 2009 A4 2.0 tdi with CAGA engine.the car has only 3000 miles on clock but when i drive the 75 mph and go for a stop at that moment there is a lot of white smoke from tail pipe.i check the engine oil and coolant they are fine they are upto maximum level mean no external leak and no fault recorded.any help greatly appreciated
Is this happening on colder days or warmer days as well?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

hi there,

Sounds like you may have an issue with the turbo and/or cooling system. "White smoke" is usually excessive water vapor, which is most likely caused by coolant being dumped into the exhaust stream somewhere. Not good. Even though water vapor is a by product of combustion, you shouldn't be able to detect it once the engine and exhaust are up to temp. Most common leak points are either at the turbo or a leaking head gasket. Keep a very close eye on your oil level. If it increases at all, you're leaking coolant into your crankcase. Very bad things happen when you mix oil and water, especially on a turbo-charged engine. This condition won't always throw a MIL or trouble code. Recommend you take it for service immediately. Any half-educated dealership should be able to diagnose a leaking head gasket or turbo coolant issue.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by B8aruba
Sounds like you may have an issue with the turbo and/or cooling system. "White smoke" is usually excessive water vapor, which is most likely caused by coolant being dumped into the exhaust stream somewhere. Not good. Even though water vapor is a by product of combustion, you shouldn't be able to detect it once the engine and exhaust are up to temp. Most common leak points are either at the turbo or a leaking head gasket. Keep a very close eye on your oil level. If it increases at all, you're leaking coolant into your crankcase. Very bad things happen when you mix oil and water, especially on a turbo-charged engine. This condition won't always throw a MIL or trouble code. Recommend you take it for service immediately. Any half-educated dealership should be able to diagnose a leaking head gasket or turbo coolant issue.
A basic compression and leak down test can provide insight into a bad head gasket. Since its a 2009 I'd bet its under warranty still so if you don't want to do the test yourself, consult your dealer.
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com
Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i took my car to dealership after they told me they faound a very high sulfur content in my diesel.what they said something like 10000 ppm.what is this ppm?is sulfur cousing the white smoke after burning?is it true?they saying to change my filling station otherwise they coulnot do anything for me.
anywhay appreciete your response.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...what is this ppm?
parts per million
Old 06-18-2010, 05:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure what the normal level for diesel fuel is, but I'm sure there's info posted on some of the TDI forums out there. I'd try researching further on your own, as I'd be pretty surprised if that's the cause based on what you explained here earlier. If you can see the exhaust discharge physically change over in color, something isn't right with that lump (engine). Sorry I can't assist further, I'm primarily a petro guy.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Basic Sponsor

Originally Posted by Old Dog
parts per million
Diesel in the States is 500 PPM and is considered low sulfur content. Sounds like you may have got farm grade diesel?
Phone: 1.800.924.5172 - Sales: 8:30am to MIDNIGHT EST | Customer Service 8:30am - 8pm EST
Questions? PM us for a quick response! | Email: Pete@ecstuning.com