A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2017 A4 coding tweaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by zen1605
Has anyone figured out how to switch the default for the eco-engine mode? I'm not sure of the official name, but the thing that cuts the engine off when youre at a stop.

I absolutely hate that I have to remember to press the button every time I turn the car on to disable it.
This was posted by the Admin on the OBDeleven Q7 board here: Coding and adaptations | OBDeleven back in February.

De Activation of Start-Stop
Select Control unit 19 (can gateway)
Adaptation
Start-Stop Voltage Limit>12V (New Value)

Sound like it tricks the system so that the start/stop never meets criteria. I have not tried this myself, so no idea if it works.
Old 10-22-2016, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

So I got an OBDEleven dongle and a cheap Android phone, $120 total, and I must say that I'm impressed with the OBDEleven software so far. Much easier to use than VCDS and VCP and a very good concept. While the Android software is free I would think $10 or $20 would be justified for an iOS version (to recover the additional development costs).

The big advantage of OBD11 is the fact that lots of coding is documented (similar to VCP). I don't get why VCDS still has no coding information even after almost a year since the introduction of the MLBevo platform. Adaptation is similar to VCDS and VCP (since the text comes from the UDS channels). Their concept of apps (scripts in VCP) that cost extra but allow things that are not possible or tricky when done manually is a good idea because it doesn't cause any extra for casual use or manual coding.

I have to play around a little more with the new toy but I would recommend OBD11 as a simple and cost effective way to clear faults and change some coding/adaptations. VCP would be next (~$350 shipped from Germany), more powerful and more dangerous too. And while VCDS ($500 plus shipping) was THE tool in the past, their concept (Windows fat client, java based client required for some features, slow and cumbersome web interface with HEX-NET) seems to be outdated in todays world.
Old 10-22-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
So I got an OBDEleven dongle and a cheap Android phone, $120 total, and I must say that I'm impressed with the OBDEleven software so far. Much easier to use than VCDS and VCP and a very good concept. While the Android software is free I would think $10 or $20 would be justified for an iOS version (to recover the additional development costs).

The big advantage of OBD11 is the fact that lots of coding is documented (similar to VCP). I don't get why VCDS still has no coding information even after almost a year since the introduction of the MLBevo platform. Adaptation is similar to VCDS and VCP (since the text comes from the UDS channels). Their concept of apps (scripts in VCP) that cost extra but allow things that are not possible or tricky when done manually is a good idea because it doesn't cause any extra for casual use or manual coding.

I have to play around a little more with the new toy but I would recommend OBD11 as a simple and cost effective way to clear faults and change some coding/adaptations. VCP would be next (~$350 shipped from Germany), more powerful and more dangerous too. And while VCDS ($500 plus shipping) was THE tool in the past, their concept (Windows fat client, java based client required for some features, slow and cumbersome web interface with HEX-NET) seems to be outdated in todays world.
You compromised your morals for an android device 😱😱
Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
You compromised your morals for an android device 😱😱
Anything for an Audi. And I washed my hands before I touched my iPhone or Mac afterwards...
Old 10-22-2016, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Anything for an Audi. And I washed my hands before I touched my iPhone or Mac afterwards...
Those are some pretty loose morals. At least your following the proper cleansing protocol. 😂
Old 10-22-2016, 01:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I got the obdeleven and an 8 gb Digiland Android tablet that was on sale for $39! The tablet is about the size of an iPhone plus, so it's good for viewing the app. The only thing I use it for is the obdeleven so all I have on it is the obdeleven app, some obd code reference apps, the ocr manual, this site and a couple other Audi sites. Works great. Not any near as well as my iPhone 7 would work, but it works. Now I just got to figure out how to use the obdeleven and coding.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can somebody please send my coding number with drive select from stg.09
Old 10-22-2016, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gguy
I got the obdeleven and an 8 gb Digiland Android tablet that was on sale for $39! The tablet is about the size of an iPhone plus, so it's good for viewing the app. The only thing I use it for is the obdeleven so all I have on it is the obdeleven app, some obd code reference apps, the ocr manual, this site and a couple other Audi sites. Works great. Not any near as well as my iPhone 7 would work, but it works. Now I just got to figure out how to use the obdeleven and coding.
I use a rooted fire tablet that I use specifically for android stuff .
Old 10-23-2016, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Need Help

Hi All,

I just received my OBDEleven. I don't to do anything until I understand.

Some coding shows changing bytes etc. and some shows the names, e.g.
09 - Central Electrics
Coding->high_beam_functions->high-beam assistant

A5 - Front Camera Driver Assist ->High-Beam_Assist->Active

So, which one should I use when using OBDEleven?

Also, I cannot find info about enabling needle sweep. I have gone through the whole thread but cannot find it. Can someone please send me that?

Thanks alot!
Old 10-23-2016, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by danoarx
Hi All,

I just received my OBDEleven. I don't to do anything until I understand.

Some coding shows changing bytes etc. and some shows the names, e.g.
09 - Central Electrics
Coding->high_beam_functions->high-beam assistant

A5 - Front Camera Driver Assist ->High-Beam_Assist->Active

So, which one should I use when using OBDEleven?

Also, I cannot find info about enabling needle sweep. I have gone through the whole thread but cannot find it. Can someone please send me that?

Thanks alot!
You can use either in OBDEleven. They do the same thing but with VCDS you can only do that bits. So whatever you do just do one side the whole way. Staging is what the needle sweep is called. If you look in module 17 than you'll find it under coding. Just change it to activate.

Quick Reply: 2017 A4 coding tweaks