A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

2019 A4 sensor and emergency brake failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:33 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2019 A4 sensor and emergency brake failure

Hello, I am going to ask my dealership about this of course, but was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else?

I have a brand new A4 that I've put 1500 km on so far. I do a lot of driving involving three point turns and getting in and out of parking spots. About 20% of the time when I put the car in reverse and start moving backwards, the car auto brakes with the loudest metal-on-metal screeching sound I've ever heard. So loud that everyone on the block will look to see if there was an accident. After the car auto brakes, I just put my foot off the gas pedal and press the brake pedal, release the brake pedal and I can continue rolling backward. I found it strange I don't have to put it in Drive or Park before continuing to reverse.

The first time it happened I got out of the car thinking I smashed into something or ran something over because the auto braking slams on the brakes hard. When I got out, nothing was behind or under the car. I don't even get out to check any more because I figured its a rear sensor failure. It not only happens in rain but also on clear days, so even dust will set it off?

I tried turning off Parking Aid the only way I could, through INDIVIDUAL mode and then I drove INDIVIDUAL mode ... it still happened about 20% of the time.

I really want to ensure that no matter what the sensor detects, the car will NEVER throw the brakes on automatically again.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by dundas
Hello, I am going to ask my dealership about this of course, but was wondering if this has been a problem for anyone else?

I have a brand new A4 that I've put 1500 km on so far. I do a lot of driving involving three point turns and getting in and out of parking spots. About 20% of the time when I put the car in reverse and start moving backwards, the car auto brakes with the loudest metal-on-metal screeching sound I've ever heard. So loud that everyone on the block will look to see if there was an accident. After the car auto brakes, I just put my foot off the gas pedal and press the brake pedal, release the brake pedal and I can continue rolling backward. I found it strange I don't have to put it in Drive or Park before continuing to reverse.

The first time it happened I got out of the car thinking I smashed into something or ran something over because the auto braking slams on the brakes hard. When I got out, nothing was behind or under the car. I don't even get out to check any more because I figured its a rear sensor failure. It not only happens in rain but also on clear days, so even dust will set it off?

I tried turning off Parking Aid the only way I could, through INDIVIDUAL mode and then I drove INDIVIDUAL mode ... it still happened about 20% of the time.

I really want to ensure that no matter what the sensor detects, the car will NEVER throw the brakes on automatically again.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
What you are experiencing is not a brake failure but rather the Reverse Automatic Braking system. For some reason your car thinks you are going to hit something and is putting on the brakes. Some people on the forum have this problem often, some never have it. I suspect it has to do with driving style. If you are a confident parallel parker and you move quicker than Audi expects for this situation it may think you are going to hit something.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
What you are experiencing is not a brake failure but rather the Reverse Automatic Braking system. For some reason your car thinks you are going to hit something and is putting on the brakes. Some people on the forum have this problem often, some never have it. I suspect it has to do with driving style. If you are a confident parallel parker and you move quicker than Audi expects for this situation it may think you are going to hit something.
Doesn't necessarily have to be "quicker," but it is absolutely terrifying when you are trying to parallel park or reverse park and there is oncoming traffic, perpendicular or parallel to you. For instance, you are backing into a parking spot that faces a large street.

The side cross alert sees a car and thinks you are in a path with them even at 3 mph and will slam on the brakes.

OP, you can try hitting the traction control button once. It should deactivate Audi pre sense. I am not sure if it will affect the automatic reverse braking, though. After you turn the car back on, it will be reactivated.