A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

A4 (B9) - P011800 - Coolant Temperature Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A4 (B9) - P011800 - Coolant Temperature Sensor

Hi folks,
Is this a common issue out there or I am just the 'lucky' one lol. Started the car today, fans started right away but did not think into it too much. As I drove away, I was looking at the temperature gauge and it suspiciously did not move at all even after about 10 minute drive while it was around +15C outside.
So read the codes with OBDEleven and got this code under Engine.

Has anyone seen this before and if so, is it something I can do myself with some basic tool and patience, or 'must take to dealer/repair shop' kind of issue. I imagine if the issue is this sensor, wondering how can I locate it and where I can source a good replacement part for it.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Hi everyone,
In the very unlikely case anyone sees this in the future, here is the verdict. Good news is that issue was found and corrected. Bad news is that it was found at Audi Dealer but oh well. See pic attached, a black wiring harness cut or ripped, this is the coolant temp sensor harness at the back of the motor under the headshield near the tranny case
Old 11-14-2020, 02:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by ionhincesti
Hi everyone,
In the very unlikely case anyone sees this in the future, here is the verdict. Good news is that issue was found and corrected. Bad news is that it was found at Audi Dealer but oh well. See pic attached, a black wiring harness cut or ripped, this is the coolant temp sensor harness at the back of the motor under the headshield near the tranny case
Rodent problem? Looks quite a sharp break.
Old 12-01-2020, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by minmet
Rodent problem? Looks quite a sharp break.
Yes unfortunately
I got dealer to fix this a few weeks ago and guess what the issue is back.
Took this photo the other day when I changed the oil. All was well until today, started the car second time after sitting about one hour and exactly same fault again.
Is there any chance that bugger is still there somewhere? And what are the chances of cutting the same cable again??
This sucks big time.

Rodent nest?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I can tell you that the first step in assessing it would be to get that rat's next out of your engine bay! Then, I'd try and jack it up, drop the splashguards, and make sure there aren't any animals still there!
Old 12-02-2020, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby
I can tell you that the first step in assessing it would be to get that rat's next out of your engine bay! Then, I'd try and jack it up, drop the splashguards, and make sure there aren't any animals still there!
Oh yeah I cleaned that nest **** up right away. Confirmed today, he same cable that was severed a few weeks back, was cut again and this time closer to the connector housing. Due to the length remaining, I barely fixed it, will see if it's going to hold up.

Vehicle has been parked outside for the past few weeks though (I'm in Bradford, ON), how the heck this is even possible for rodents to survive and also - why the same damn cable??

I did not think to drop the splashguards, so that's what I'll do very soon.

The one upside is that damage could have been way worse...

Old 03-10-2024, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello! I have a 2018 2.0T Quattro A4. Having the same error code come up - I think I need to replace the sensor since mine came up while driving so likely not a rodent issue. Is it hard to get to it - where is it located exactly? Is it hard to swap the sensor out with a new one?

TYIA