A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Android Auto screen freezes after 2 mins.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unlike you all I don't have audi but I juat had Kenwood ddx7017bts installed in my honda Odyssey 2010. I have the same issue of Android Auto Freezing up within few seconds I tried my Samsung Galaxy S5 and also my wife's Sony Xperia Z5. I thought I could be due to usb cable so I bought brand new cable an expensive one buy no gain. AWhen I went back to the technician he plugged his Iphone which seem to work pretty well. So I am in middle of now can any of you advise my what I can possibly do and the way what is MMI is it something specific to audi? Thank
Old 09-12-2017, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi has a SOLUTION finally and this is a HARDWARE DEFECT on a batch of B9 A4s.
The issue has been resolved. The problem was isolated to bad hardware(5F module failure) which is the equivalent of the CPU in certain batches of 2017 Audi A4 vehicles. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB # 2044024/2) in place and my vehicle was used as the test bed(Patient 0) for identifying and resolving this issue by Audi America. So all owners for the 2017 Audi A4 with MMI Radio Plus who have issues with Android Auto where it freezes after 2 minutes , please contact your dealer with this information. and I can forward you the invoice and additional details if needed.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My prestige B9 A4 is in for maintenance right now and I've been seeing this Android Auto problem for a while. But when I called them this morning to tell them the TSB number and they pulled it up it seems that they got an old version of the TSB which says the fix is pending and to sign the customer up for a notification for a software update when the fix comes out.

By any chance does this fix also fix the issue where every time you start.stop the car it asks for message access and doesn't store the fact that you said yes for next time?
Old 09-12-2017, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KrzBell
Audi has a SOLUTION finally and this is a HARDWARE DEFECT on a batch of B9 A4s.
The issue has been resolved. The problem was isolated to bad hardware(5F module failure) which is the equivalent of the CPU in certain batches of 2017 Audi A4 vehicles. There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB # 2044024/2) in place and my vehicle was used as the test bed(Patient 0) for identifying and resolving this issue by Audi America. So all owners for the 2017 Audi A4 with MMI Radio Plus who have issues with Android Auto where it freezes after 2 minutes , please contact your dealer with this information. and I can forward you the invoice and additional details if needed.
Thanks for the update. Did the dealership upgrade your Audi MMI to resolve this ?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

KrzBell, you posted this bit of hope and then kinda disappeared. Can you provide any more details as to the fix? I spoke with my local dealer and they don't have anything beyond a fix is maybe coming someday, nothing in the TSB you gave that allows them to take any immediate action.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by krissbell
All,
I am having issues with Android Auto in my vehicle. The screen freezes in 2 minutes of plugging in the device and opening Android Auto. This is faster when running Google Maps navigation. I tried all the cables "certified" by Google and still run into same issues. The problem is persistent across all USB-C devices(Moto Z, LG G6) and micro USB devices(Samsung S7). Irony is that Android Auto used to work (albeit with some connectivity issues over a period of time) prior to the latest versions of Android Auto. Anyone else see the same problem?
After using Android Auto for some time now with no problems, this week for the first time after I plugged in my Android phone, my MMI froze (with a black screen) as I started to drive away from my house.

No matter what buttons I pushed, I couldn't clear the screen. So I pulled over and stopped the car, even opened the door as if I was going to get out. But the screen stayed frozen.

I shut the door and restarted the car, but the screen remained black. I was pissed because I was going somewhere where I needed to use the Navigation. Luckily, after driving for about a half a mile, I got a message on the screen saying the MMI was initializing and soon and everything went back to normal.

Btw, has this issue been resolved with AoA yet? Have they issued a fix?