Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
Try Overcast.
Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by caliaudib9
Does anyone know how to get a consistent connection with apple car play?
I just upgraded to iOS 11 and hope that these questions will go away. Until we reach that Nirvana, here is my tried-and-true solution to the biggest problem I have had with CarPlay – getting started. When I get in my car in the garage, the logical thing to do is start the car and connect the phone. Typically I see the screen that says something like "there is no phone connected to...". I connect the phone and that screen is replaced by the CarPlay interface. Then I back out and lose the connection. Bummer...

The solution that works for me is to press the button that turns off the beeping sounds and backup camera. This has one major benefit by itself – I hate the beeping sound and it isn't needed. I am in my garage for crying out loud so of course there are objects that are close to the car. I don't need to be warned that the wall of the garage is there or the trash can. Also when I get in my car I'm pretty sure that there is nothing behind me in the driveway. So the backup camera isn't that useful at this point. I could probably back out with my eyes closed.

CarPlay has never disconnected when I have followed this procedure. I have yet to back into the wall of my garage or run over anyone that suddenly snuck up behind me. But I do start enjoying CarPlay.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I always plug mine in before i start the car. it seems to work, i get the occasional "not connected" i have a 7+. I just put iOS11 on yesterday. No problems this morning...
Old 09-23-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jcallip1
I always plug mine in before i start the car. it seems to work, i get the occasional "not connected" i have a 7+. I just put iOS11 on yesterday. No problems this morning...
Occasionally I get a weird issue where the audio comes out of the iPhone instead of the car on Carplay, but a quick unplug-plug back in always fixes it
Old 09-24-2017, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I went beta, then GM, for iOS11 I have zero problems loading Spotify or Pandora (where it would basically hang and crash before).

How's everyone's Apple Maps behaving? Mine seems to lose GPS location a lot, it's staggering to turn the map when I turn the car, and sometimes has me on the adjacent road.

I don't plan on spending the $30/month when my Prime trial runs out. And I was hoping Apple Maps would at least suffice for traffic data.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Spotify, Unknown and Virtual cockpit

Originally Posted by cigaro
Hey guys!

Just signed the lease on my 2017 Quattro yesterday and absolutely love this car (I am turning in my A3 TDI this friday).

I had a question specifically about carplay though... when I am playing music on spotify, it always says unkown under the media information in the virtual cockpit.

It shows unknown artist, unknown song, etc and does not show any album artwork. Is there a way to fix this? Or is this an unavoidable bug?

I have this same issue in my 2017 A4. It also pops up in some other audio apps from carplay, but it is nearly 100% consistent with Spotify. Were you able to correct this in your car?
Old 09-27-2017, 10:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayharp
I have this same issue in my 2017 A4. It also pops up in some other audio apps from carplay, but it is nearly 100% consistent with Spotify. Were you able to correct this in your car?
I'm going to guess that Spotify may not be supporting an API function for reporting the current song playing. The song is always displayed properly when using Apple's music app. I'd report it as a bug to Spotify and perhaps they'll fix it at some point.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this with Pandora and Apple Music too.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default I have the reversing problem too... 2018 SQ5

... strangely enough, CarPlay seems to still be running in the background, so if I started listening to a podcast, it would continue playing, but clicking on the CarPlay icon on the MMI system just does nothing. I will definitely try the trick of resetting the MMI.

However, I am very surprised that no-one else mentioned some other 'problems' or design decisions in Audi's integration of CarPlay into their cars (and I don't think these are Apple issues):
  1. No touch screen. Some other cars have touch screens, but not the Audi. So you have to navigate by constantly scrolling back and forth and clicking with the dial on the center console. Not the best. For example, the ‘home’ button on the screen… you can’t click it! To get back to the home screen with the icons, you have to use the touch pad and hit back, back, back, back until you finally get back to the home screen. Or rotate that scroll wheel many many rotations. When I look at videos of carplay in other cars, it looks so much better using a touch screen!
  2. The controls on the steering wheel (answer a phone call etc) doesn’t work w Carplay. You can only control it with the big **** on the console and the ‘back’ click on the touchpad. It is actually a bit of a distraction when I receive a phone call, I have to make sure to navigate to the 'answer' spot with the scroll wheel... a bit dangerous. Would have been great if you could answer the call the same way you would answer a bluetooth call on the steering wheel. The volume control on the steering wheel works, though.
  3. It is not wireless. So you have to constantly plug it in and unplug it. Sometimes it is nice to just jump in the car with the phone in your pocket… and then you basically use the normal Bluetooth functions and the car’s normal MMI system. And that changes completely how stuff works, since you answer a call differently etc.
Thoughts?

Quick Reply: Apple Car play problems