A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Audi connect key and iOS 13.4 car key

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audi connect key and iOS 13.4 car key

Does the 2017 A4 support the Audi connect key where you can use your phone to unlock the car and start it via NFC without the physical key as given in the article below.
iOS 13.4 is adding car key feature to do this as well for NFC enabled cars.
I am not referring to the remote unlock via myAudi app
Audi connect key
Old 02-11-2020, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 266 Likes on 204 Posts

A 2017 A4 likely doesn't support the CarKey API which was released in Beta this week.

It's possible Audi will provide app/software updates to support this feature, if it actually makes it to the iOS release later this year.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

The Audi connect key is not offered in North America. It's a standalone option in Europe that has to be added, so North American cars are unlikely to have the required NFC sensor in the door handle. I personally find this feature lacking big time, because you actually have to take the phone out of your pocket and hold it up against the door handle. I suppose you can rub your butt up against it trying to get it triggered, but the key fob is so much more convenient. Just grab the door handle and the car unlocks. The key fob also works much better if you have your hands full walking up to the car and using the kick motion to open the trunk. Using NFC seems outdated already. Tesla uses Bluetooth in the Model 3, so just like a key fob you can leave the phone in your pocket and the car unlocks as you approach it. That's a proper solution and the backup key is the size of a credit card, so it can be kept in one's wallet. iOS 13.4 car key I believe also relies on NFC, so not sure about the usefulness of this. They should all take a page out of Tesla's book on this.
Old 02-11-2020, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The Audi connect key is not offered in North America. It's a standalone option in Europe that has to be added, so North American cars are unlikely to have the required NFC sensor in the door handle. I personally find this feature lacking big time, because you actually have to take the phone out of your pocket and hold it up against the door handle. I suppose you can rub your butt up against it trying to get it triggered, but the key fob is so much more convenient. Just grab the door handle and the car unlocks. The key fob also works much better if you have your hands full walking up to the car and using the kick motion to open the trunk. Using NFC seems outdated already. Tesla uses Bluetooth in the Model 3, so just like a key fob you can leave the phone in your pocket and the car unlocks as you approach it. That's a proper solution and the backup key is the size of a credit card, so it can be kept in one's wallet. iOS 13.4 car key I believe also relies on NFC, so not sure about the usefulness of this. They should all take a page out of Tesla's book on this.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree it is not as useful as the Tesla implementation but you could leave the physical key at home or add guest users who can drive the car.

The myAudi app at least has some improvements now with Siri shortcuts to lock/unlock car and find parked location
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No the unlock/lock feature using NFC is not possible with the A4 in Europe either as the cars also do not posses the NFC hardware in the door handles...
Old 03-08-2020, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer the NFC option. Bluetooth only works when your phone is powered up. NFC does not require powers to operate.

Can you imagine being stranded because your phone battery ran out? Ideal situation would be for the car to support both Bluetooth and NFC.

Old 03-08-2020, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jnoel
I prefer the NFC option. Bluetooth only works when your phone is powered up. NFC does not require powers to operate.

Can you imagine being stranded because your phone battery ran out? Ideal situation would be for the car to support both Bluetooth and NFC.
That is true and that's why Tesla includes an NFC key card that fits in one's wallet.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is true and that's why Tesla includes an NFC key card that fits in one's wallet.
That’s cool. According to my owners manual my Q8 supports that as well although I’m not sure how to get one. Ultimately I’d love to ditch the wallet too. I already use my phone for the majority of my purchases. I’d love to just carry my phone vs phone, wallet, keys.

Great now I have that song stuck in my head.

The following users liked this post:
vkamnyev (03-08-2020)
Old 03-08-2020, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jnoel
That’s cool. According to my owners manual my Q8 supports that as well although I’m not sure how to get one. Ultimately I’d love to ditch the wallet too. I already use my phone for the majority of my purchases. I’d love to just carry my phone vs phone, wallet, keys.

Great now I have that song stuck in my head.
We are a long way from getting by with only a digital wallet/key store at least in the USA. Things like drivers licenses need to become digital first, but then again, if I get pulled over, there's no way I'm handing a cop my phone when they ask for driver license and registration. Turns out digital wallets don't really solve a problem that many people view as a problem. Adoption of mobile payments for example is quite low in the USA, because it really isn't faster or more convenient enough compared to using a credit card. I do use my phone for payment wherever I can and it's convenient to have things like my insurance ID card there and use the phone as a key in certain places. For example my gym access is all via Bluetooth. I have so far pretty much gotten rid of all my keys other than the car key and I only keep that on my person if I'm actually going somewhere with the car. My house has a keypad lock and other places I access use a badge, which also I only carry if I'm going there.

Last edited by superswiss; 03-08-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

That's certainly not true. While a nfc card or tag doesn't require it's own battery, the nfc function on your phone certainly does. Even the express card feature on an iPhone still need battery even it is marketed as being able to work after the phone is "dead". What Apple did was basically cut off the phone power earlier when it is running low so it will have enough power reserved for the nfc function.

Quick Reply: Audi connect key and iOS 13.4 car key