A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Automatic headlights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A past BMW I owned would do this in low angle sunlight, winter AM and PM, as a safety feature to help others see you when the low angle sunlight reduces visibility due to glare.
idk if that's the case with your Audi though.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013

I don’t expect it to be “perfect” or replace the human eye, BUT sorry, it can and should work as designed. It should tell the difference between bright daylight and dark/dusk, and make adjustments accordingly. The fact that other I’ve owned two other cars that has Auto headlights and works “perfectly” makes me know this is NOT “normal” functionality.
Whatever, SEARCH google for auto headlamps ON in the daytime and you'll get plenty of hits. That is a FACT...
Old 01-28-2019, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by cuke2u
Whatever, SEARCH google for auto headlamps ON in the daytime and you'll get plenty of hits. That is a FACT...
Why is this even an argument? I already have googled this EXTENSIVELY. So what part of auto headlight function do you disagree with? Do you even know what the hell its suppose to do? When it’s daylight, the headlights supposed to turn OFF automatically and the MMI supposed to go into Day Mode, and when it’s dusk/nighttime, it’s supposed to turn ON automatically and the MMI supposed to go into Night Mode. These are the facts. What part of THAT are you disputing?? Do yourself a favor and actually go to a dealership (any dealership) and ask them about how auto headlights supposed to work before talking.

Last edited by ONI1013; 02-03-2019 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbias
A past BMW I owned would do this in low angle sunlight, winter AM and PM, as a safety feature to help others see you when the low angle sunlight reduces visibility due to glare.
idk if that's the case with your Audi though.
Hi. Thanks for the response. I think what you are referring to are the Auto High-Beams. My car also has this feature and works flawlessly, where at night, the High Beams go on automatically, and switches back to low beam headlights whenever it senses traffic or intersections- so as to not blind other drivers.

What at I was referring to are the Automatic Headlights function where it’s supposed to detect ambient light conditions and turn on/off your normal low beams headlights automatically at day/night. Mine happens to stay on indefinitely regardless of the light conditions, unless I manually disable the Auto Headlight feature.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Why is this even an argument?

In all honesty, because you are making one out of it. Relax. Maybe yours is worse than any other one and needs to be fixed. It’s certainly possible. But what he is talking about is in FACT a well known issue with the sensors. I don’t think that i have had a car lately that didn’t have the problem to some extent.
Old 01-28-2019, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gguy

In all honesty, because you are making one out of it. Relax. Maybe yours is worse than any other one and needs to be fixed. It’s certainly possible. But what he is talking about is in FACT a well known issue with the sensors. I don’t think that i have had a car lately that didn’t have the problem to some extent.
Respectfully, I’m not the one questioning my knowledge of how the Auto Healights supposed to work to the point where I’m supposed to Google it. If his point was that most people don’t have this problem and mine was a unique situation, then simply say that. But that wasn’t what he was saying. I’m simply inquiring if others have this problem and if so, how did they fix it. I’m not asking how the Auto Headlight functions, as this guy assume to think I don’t know.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Driver
Thanks. I went out again this afternoon and the headlights didn't come on this time.
Perhaps the windshield area where the light sensor is located is covered in salt/dirt? Try wiping the windshield from the OUTSIDE near the top-center where the rear-view mirror is attached. Can you report back if that fixes it?
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay11
Perhaps the windshield area where the light sensor is located is covered in salt/dirt? Try wiping the windshield from the OUTSIDE near the top-center where the rear-view mirror is attached. Can you report back if that fixes it?
My windshield is spotless and my headlights still come on sometimes when it is sunny outside, so that's not the problem.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi. Thanks for the response. I think what you are referring to are the Auto High-Beams. My car also has this feature and works flawlessly, where at night, the High Beams go on automatically, and switches back to low beam headlights whenever it senses traffic or intersections- so as to not blind other drivers.

What at I was referring to are the Automatic Headlights function where it’s supposed to detect ambient light conditions and turn on/off your normal low beams headlights automatically at day/night. Mine happens to stay on indefinitely regardless of the light conditions, unless I manually disable the Auto Headlight feature.

No. I know the difference btwn auto headlights and auto high beams.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dbias
No. I know the difference btwn auto headlights and auto high beams.
Oh I see. Apologies for misunderstanding what you meant. I don’t think it’s that because right now the headlights are on indefinitely, regardless of time of day or brightness. It’s like the light sensor think it’s night time all the time. Also checked sensor was clean and not blocked in any way. I’m thinking it’s probably a faulty light sensor, but hopefully it’s something that can remedied with a factory software reset, and not a hardware replacement. I’ll see what the dealer says. Just a little frustrated with a 2 week old car. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Automatic headlights stopped working