A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Automatic headlights stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Page 50 of the manual for my 2018 A4 supports the OP's statements - see attachment
Attached Files
File Type: docx
B9A4 Manual page 50.docx (929.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by chemengin
Unless there's been an update to the user manual, the A4 manual does not mention this for regular headlights. The headlight activation time only applies for high-beams. I don't know why you reference the A6 manual because the settings are clearly not the same.
See pg. 54 on the A4 user manual:

I don't have any Auto-dimming high beams menu in my MMI. I checked under Vehicle Settings / Exterior Lighting / Automatic headlights. There is no setting for high beams, although I have enabled auto-dimming with my OBDEleven.

Last edited by A4Driver; 02-14-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 97 Likes on 73 Posts

OK, so there seems to be a lot of confusion going on in here.

Headlight Assistant is "auto high beam," which is only enabled if you've done it through OBDEleven. This does not control any of the automatic low beams, however, the automatic high beams will only work if your headlight switch is on Auto and you manually enable it by moving your turn signal stalk forward. A new icon will appear in the dash of the high beam icon with AUTO underneath.

Now for why the headlights remain on even though it is sunny and bright outside may be attributed to two things, and is not isolated to just Audi.
  • Harsh lighting. While dawn or dusk where the sun is creating harsh lighting (i.e. when the sun is just above the horizon where it will wash out cars, people, etc.) your headlights will remain on as a safety feature.
  • Front camera sensor is blocked, dirty, or damaged. Unless your windshield was replaced or Pre-sense was incorrectly calibrated, this is rare.
Now, my question is, when it asks you turn on your headlights or where your headlights are on, is it generally in the morning around 7-8:00 AM when the sun is still rising? Basically, to the point where for you to see the road safely, you'll need sunglasses. If so, this is normal.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid;25276602[color=#2980b9
]OK, so there seems to be a lot of confusion going on in here.
Headlight Assistant is "auto high beam," which is only enabled if you've done it through OBDEleven. This does not control any of the automatic low beams, however, the automatic high beams will only work if your headlight switch is on Auto and you manually enable it by moving your turn signal stalk forward. A new icon will appear in the dash of the high beam icon with AUTO underneath.
Now for why the headlights remain on even though it is sunny and bright outside may be attributed to two things, and is not isolated to just Audi.
  • Harsh lighting. While dawn or dusk where the sun is creating harsh lighting (i.e. when the sun is just above the horizon where it will wash out cars, people, etc.) your headlights will remain on as a safety feature.
  • Front camera sensor is blocked, dirty, or damaged. Unless your windshield was replaced or Pre-sense was incorrectly calibrated, this is rare.
Now, my question is, when it asks you turn on your headlights or where your headlights are on, is it generally in the morning around 7-8:00 AM when the sun is still rising? Basically, to the point where for you to see the road safely, you'll need sunglasses. If so, this is normal.
I know the difference between auto headlights and auto high-beam dimming. The first came with my car, the latter I added with OBDEleven.

And, yes, my headlights usually stay on when it's early in the morning and the sun is low in the sky. But it seems that the headlights stay on too long. Especially when the glare outside requires me to wear sunglasses, but I have trouble seeing my MMI screen, which is dim.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue with my auto headlights coming on with the sun out. Not a big deal except it puts the MMI screen in night mode which was annoying. I changed the setting mentioned earlier from "medium" to "late" and the problem has gone away.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Daaavid
OK, so there seems to be a lot of confusion going on in here.

Agreed about the Headlight Assistant has nothing to do with the Low Beams. In fact, in newer manuals like mine, they even changed name to High Beam Assistant, probably to avoid confusion. Similarly, the Headlight Activation Time (Early, Medium, Late) has nothing to do with the High Beams.. as some people have also confirmed on their own settings.

Regarding the Auto Headlights keeping the Low Beams on: I understand your rationale about the safety feature at dawn and dusk, but mine also stayed on indefinitely (even during mid day 1-2p where sun is directly overhead and bright). I have kept my Auto Activation Time setting only to “Late” now and it seems to be working better.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by cdt540
I had a similar issue with my auto headlights coming on with the sun out. Not a big deal except it puts the MMI screen in night mode which was annoying. I changed the setting mentioned earlier from "medium" to "late" and the problem has gone away.
Yep. Same thing for me. “Late” seems to be only setting that works properly.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ONI1013

Yep. Same thing for me. “Late” seems to be only setting that works properly.
What is your MMI software version? I don't have this setting in my MMI settings.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chemengin
What is your MMI software version? I don't have this setting in my MMI settings.

"MH2p_US_AUG35_P2482"