A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by morris39
What is so bad about the P7s? Customer and vendor (eg Tirerack) reviews are in general positive. Can you provide details of shortcomings?
My issues are with grip. Wet grip is almost non existent. Don’t even get me started about grip in the snow. Hehe. All my cars have AS tyres (all that came stock with the car except the SQ5 for which I got Pirelli Scorpion Zeros) and all of them perform significantly better than the P7s, both in wet and snow. Now I know these aren’t winter tyres and shouldn’t be used in the snow but I don’t drive much at all in the snow. And I’m comparing the P7s to other all seasons on my car. So I think it’s a fair comparison.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What is so bad about the P7s? Customer and vendor (eg Tirerack) reviews are in general positive. Can you provide details of shortcomings?
It's interesting the disparity of opinions on the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Consumer Reports rates the Plus version of it tied for first place in both the Performance All-Season H speed and V speed rating classes in their 2018 Buying Guide. Is the Plus that dramatically different from the non-Plus version?
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
It's interesting the disparity of opinions on the Pirelli P7 Cinturato. Consumer Reports rates the Plus version of it tied for first place in both the Performance All-Season H speed and V speed rating classes in their 2018 Buying Guide. Is the Plus that dramatically different from the non-Plus version?
I take anything consumer reports says with a grain of salt. How can one publication be the master of all. They are going to rate tires like they rate vacuum cleaners? Just saying. Id go with any of the tire-rack tests if anything.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I take anything consumer reports says with a grain of salt. How can one publication be the master of all. They are going to rate tires like they rate vacuum cleaners? Just saying. Id go with any of the tire-rack tests if anything.
I have owned two cars that I have used their reviews for, a ‘14 Mercedes CLA and my ‘17 B9, and I have to say they were amazingly accurate with both of their reviews of those two vehicles. I agreed with about everything. The CLA reviews were on the negative side and it was tough owning the car at the time, but I knew they were right about it’s many shortcomings.

I don’t have any reason to promote them, I just feel they are a good general source to go to for information. They purchase all the vehicles they test and don’t rely on manufacturers providing cars to them to test, so they don’t owe the manufacturers anything.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I have owned two cars that I have used their reviews for, a ‘14 Mercedes CLA and my ‘17 B9, and I have to say they were amazingly accurate with both of their reviews of those two vehicles. I agreed with about everything. The CLA reviews were on the negative side and it was tough owning the car at the time, but I knew they were right about it’s many shortcomings.

I don’t have any reason to promote them, I just feel they are a good general source to go to for information. They purchase all the vehicles they test and don’t rely on manufacturers providing cars to them to test, so they don’t owe the manufacturers anything.

Fair enough, I see your reasoning.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with you. While I don't always agree with them they are one of the few honest brokers out there - they don't have a dog in the race and tainted by $$ coming their way from manufactures, I really believe they have the end consumer's interest at heart.
Old 02-21-2019, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I too have no vested interest to promote Consumer Reports, but would not be so dismissive of Consumer Reports, which in addition to performing dynamic evaluations of acceleration, braking and handling similar to Tire Rack, also evaluates tread life (driving at least 16,000 miles on each set) to project actual treadlife. Additionally, Consumer Reports tests significantly more tire models/yr than does Tire Rack, which usually tests 4 tires (in each category) against each other.

That said, neither Consumer Reports or Tire Rack are gospel, but both provide objective data on which one could select a tire based on those factors deemed most important; not everyone considers each category important (e.g. CR includes hydroplaning in total score; this may not be important in the southwest as in the norththeast; for others treadlife takes a backseat to performance). Tire Rack also includes surveys - essentially a collection of anecdotes, which if demonstrate a consistent theme, may help you decide among your top few picks from the objective tests.

So, no disrespect but whether one is interested in tires or vacuum cleaners, Consumer Reports is a good objective place to start as they actually perform a significant number of tests on each product rated - and has no financial interest as they do not sell or advertise products rated. Since one’s life is literally riding on tires, would advocate for checking both Tire Rack and Consumer Reports prior to purchase.

Last edited by AMDG75; 02-21-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

OK, How much salt do we need to accept your opinion over professionals. You seem to have a thing against Pirelli for some unstated reason but you are overdoing it and probably losing your intent. Maybe you add some humor here and give us the background story.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

OK, How much salt do we need to accept your opinion over professionals. You seem to have a thing against Pirelli for some unstated reason but you are overdoing it and probably losing your intent. Maybe you add some humor here and give us the background story.
Wow, guess I should give CR another shot then. Didnt realize there were so many advocates out there for it. I dont have a thing against Pirelli, just against these specific tires that came on the car. I had the P-Zeros on my previous S6's and had no issues with them for the time they were on there. I do wish they would get their act straight in Formula 1 though. Every year we get different colors that mean nothing and wear terribly.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Same. I don’t have anything against Pirelli. I have Scorpions on the SQ5 and P7s on the A4. The scorpions are good. The P7s. The less said the better.

Quick Reply: Best All Season Tires for a 2017 A4 B9 Premium Plus