A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Choosing between Audi A4 Premium AWD and Premium Plus FWD with Technology Pkg

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think there are plenty of other fwd lux sedans I would choose over a fwd Audi. Audi is all about the Quattro.

I had to factory order mine because I couldn't find one without VC. Audi’s analogue guages are some of the best in the biz- so get em while you can- You wont have a choice in a few years. I do like the tech of the VC, and I’m not especially technophobic, but i knew I’d set it for classic view, and never change it. The sport view- single tach/ digital speed readout in the center, reminded me of a Beetle or Mini Cooper cockpit. The small speedo/ tach looked odd for some reason, and I couldnt see either well, though i really did like the big nav view in sightline. I was working with a budget, but once I ruled out the VC/Tech pack, I could get the sport pack and dynamic steering, which just adds even more Quattro-appeal for me.

I can say, no regrets not having the VC- Apple car play has me sorted for a lot of the good stuff the VC offers. And there IS a color screen between the proper tach and speedo. It has some of the capabilities as the VC, albeit with smaller real estate.

Having said all that, I’d hold out for a cpo A4 2.0T Quattro PP.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for their opinions. I agree Audi is known for AWD. I saw the Premium Plus FWD and it has the S Line badge on the door. Does this mean it is different from the FWD you guys are referring to? Is the S Line more powerful?
Old 04-13-2018, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by agp2572
Thanks everyone for their opinions. I agree Audi is known for AWD. I saw the Premium Plus FWD and it has the S Line badge on the door. Does this mean it is different from the FWD you guys are referring to? Is the S Line more powerful?
S-line is just a few changes in exterior , like sportier bumpers.
I assume you are talking about the 2018 FWD and AWD models, since for 2018, the FWD comes only in the ultra version in the U.S i.e. 190 HP and much better mileage than AWD, 27 city, 37 hwy.
Based on where you live (snow/rain), you may want the AWD over FWD, but if you live somewhere like LA or SF bayarea where you are stuck in traffic most of the time, the FWD may be better.
Prem Plus has much better sound system, LED headlights, blind spot and rear cross traffic assist and parking sensors which are all more useful than VC.
i would say Prem plus with AWD to get best of both.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:51 AM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by samsj
S-line is just a few changes in exterior , like sportier bumpers.
Depends on the market. In Canada, at least in 2017, the S-line exterior was included in the S-line sports package, which included all kinds of horrible things - black headliner, lowered sport suspension, summer tires on 19" rims, sport seats, etc.

I think in 2018 they may have done like they do in the U.S. and put the S-line body work on all the upper trims while all the awful stuff remains optional.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No. S Line is the exterior styling package which is standard on all 2018 A4 trims. It wasn’t available on 2017 A4 premium trim. The only difference between the 2018 premium and premium plus on the exterior is the the lack of chrome window surrounds on the premium trim.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Just to give you some context I am buying a car via Hertz Car Sales. They have really nice cars and I saw two Audi which are same price since Hertz carries cars about $42000 in retail price.

I have seen few of the AWD models Premium model only, some with sensor, some without, some with 18 inch rim upgrade.

I just saw a Premium Plus on their site which cost about the same in retail value about $43000 because it uses FWD over AWD but it include Technology Package as well which includes the Virtual Cockpit. It has the black headliner which looks nice and has the S Line badge outside and towards the bottom as you open the door. It has LED light inside and it looks very nice at night. I have not seen the Premium models at night so do not know how much LED lights they provide inside for mood.

I would prefer to have this car with AWD but since I am not buying from dealership directly and via the Hertz Car Sales I just have the choices given to me. The car can be sold and bought by someone else and new cars keep coming but it is rare to see a Premium Plus in my area and this is the only one I have seen in the past 2 months.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to give you some context I am buying a car via Hertz Car Sales. They have really nice cars and I saw two Audi which are same price since Hertz carries cars about $42000 in retail price.

I have seen few of the AWD models Premium model only, some with sensor, some without, some with 18 inch rim upgrade.

I just saw a Premium Plus on their site which cost about the same in retail value about $43000 because it uses FWD over AWD but it include Technology Package as well which includes the Virtual Cockpit. It has the black headliner which looks nice and has the S Line badge outside and towards the bottom as you open the door. It has LED light inside and it looks very nice at night. I have not seen the Premium models at night so do not know how much LED lights they provide inside for mood.

I would prefer to have this car with AWD but since I am not buying from dealership directly and via the Hertz Car Sales I just have the choices given to me. The car can be sold and bought by someone else and new cars keep coming but it is rare to see a Premium Plus in my area and this is the only one I have seen in the past 2 months.

Msrp of a brand new FWD premium plus is $42000 on Audi USA website.
https://www.audiusa.com/audicode/A3LEDDN9
You can at least get 6% discount plus incentives which is usually $2000-$2500 even if you order the car and you can get much more off of a car if you find something you like in a dealer inventory. So a brand new premium plus FWD or a premium AWD would be roughly $36000.

Last edited by marz1; 04-13-2018 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That is good to know. The Hertz Car Sales sell them at $2500 or $26000 for 2017 models with roughly 30K miles. The Audi A4 AWS Premium was $25K and the Audi FWD Premium Plus S line body and technology package was $26K.

I would prefer to have AWD but they have limited stock and it keeps changing and there are chances that maybe they don't have a AWD Premium Plus because they do not buy such expensive cars for their rental fleet as I have not seen a single Prestige Trim in their fleet.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going to purchase an Audi A4 and wanted to get opinions of others in the forum about these two options.

Just wanted to get opinions on whether Virtual Cockpit is worth it over sacrificing AWD. Also are the speakers in Premium Plus worth it along with the LED headlights?

An B9 A4 with FWD is SLOW. Don't do it!
Old 04-14-2018, 12:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You are asking an enthusiast fansite, of course nearly everyone is going to say get the AWD. But in real life, most people don't use or need it, and money doesn't grow on trees. The questions are, where do you live? Are you in a wet climate? Do you autocross your car? Only you can answer these questions. But for nearly most fair-weather dwellers and every-day commuters, FWD is just fine. Sales reflect that in many regions. Also better mpg's, lighter, and lower sticker.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Choosing between Audi A4 Premium AWD and Premium Plus FWD with Technology Pkg