A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Coding for turning on Audi Active Lane Assist (all cars with pre sense)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Thanks Amorak! I'll have another look at this later today.
So.. were you able to get Traffic Jam Assist activated on your Q5?!
IT WORKS!

Huge thanks to Wolly for cracking the code
. I was in at 6am today and very light easter-Monday traffic, but it engaged TJA several times during my drive! The roads still have some snow on the sides, so it wasn't working a lot, but it did engage sub 60kph. You just need cruise control on and ALA to grab 2 lane markers, and then have enough traffic around and then ti goes with the flow sub-60kph.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by amorak
IT WORKS!

Huge thanks to Wolly for cracking the code
. I was in at 6am today and very light easter-Monday traffic, but it engaged TJA several times during my drive! The roads still have some snow on the sides, so it wasn't working a lot, but it did engage sub 60kph. You just need cruise control on and ALA to grab 2 lane markers, and then have enough traffic around and then ti goes with the flow sub-60kph.
^ EXCELLENT NEWS!!
Yes, a huge thanks to Woolly for cracking the code. I'll do the coding on my Q5 tonight!
Old 04-03-2018, 01:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

Originally Posted by BFN949
I did the coding (on my 2018 SQ5) and with the assistance of my dealer, installed a steering stalk assembly I purchased on eBay. Had multiple errors, but after they ran the "replace steering stalk" routine, most of the errors disappeared.
At first, the stalk button would not turn off ALA. Long story short, I eventually figured out that in the last step (Switch-on condition, lane depart. warn.), the Adaption should be set to "Selection via menu" as opposed to "On" as in the instructions.
After the change, everything works perfectly as far as the ALA is concerned.
I do however have an issue with a warning in the instrument cluster when I turn the vehicle on - it complains about the heated steering wheel not functioning properly. The thing is, I don't have a heated steering wheel. The donor vehicle obviously had a heated steering wheel. I looked around (especially in Module 16), but the Coding button is greyed out, so I can't go in there to see if I can change the settings. A bit of a bummer. Afterwards, I realised that when I did the same mod on my S8, I did not get the error messages about the steering, ACC etc. That's when I remembered that I had not replaced the vehicle's slip ring with the stalk assembly, but used the vehicle's original slip ring. At the time, I had read that if the original slip ring is used, it prevents the steering wheel errors which could require recalibration of the steering angle sensor.
I can't figure out why the "Coding" button of Module 16 is greyed out. I'm going to try to replace the slip ring that came with the "new" steering stalk assembly, with the vehicle's original slip ring - hopefully, that would take care of the heated steering wheel error.
I have a A5 B9, which I am going to retrofit a heated steering wheel on. This means that I anyway had to get a new stalk controller. Reading this thread, I might as well get the One that has both the Heated Steering wheel and the ALA button. What is this "replace steering stalk" routine?
Old 04-03-2018, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I have a A5 B9, which I am going to retrofit a heated steering wheel on. This means that I anyway had to get a new stalk controller. Reading this thread, I might as well get the One that has both the Heated Steering wheel and the ALA button. What is this "replace steering stalk" routine?
^ Bruce, it's a pretty big job to replace a steering stalk module. You definitely need to have some technical skills and the right tools.
You may want to consider having the dealer do the job.
Here's a link to a video that shows how to replace a turn signal stalk on an S4-B7 (UK car).

/Richard

Last edited by rbreeze; 04-03-2018 at 04:12 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 722 Likes on 501 Posts

On the B9 platform the steering wheel stalk and the slip ring (clock spring) is all the same unit. So hoping that it's less involved. However I don't know what all coding may be needed when I change the electronics.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

last request...anyone else trying to enable 44-steering byte 2 bit 7 having issues? it says its out of range. i have a 18 SQ5 Prestige US model with high and low cameras up front, rear and side cameras for side assist. followed every direction and got everything done other than the 44-steering which is the last piece needed i think to enable ALA and have steering wheel feedback.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by booreux
last request...anyone else trying to enable 44-steering byte 2 bit 7 having issues? it says its out of range. i have a 18 SQ5 Prestige US model with high and low cameras up front, rear and side cameras for side assist. followed every direction and got everything done other than the 44-steering which is the last piece needed i think to enable ALA and have steering wheel feedback.
^ Booreux - I understand you're using a VCDS to make your coding changes. Many/most of us here have been using the OBDeleven device & app to make the necessary coding changes to enable/activate ALA (and now TJA on certain Australian & Canadian 2018 Q5s), so we would probably never see the coding issue you're getting on Control Unit (44) Steering Assistance.
OBDeleven users only need to change the control unit 44 [Heading Control Assistant] parameter value from "not active" to "active". With your VCDS, according to the Mitchfin instruction, you need to "enable" Byte 2 > Bit 7, but instead when you try this you're getting a message saying it's out of range? What does your VCDS user manual say for parameters/locations reporting "out of range" messages?
Wish I could be more help. Hopefully some VCDS users will chime in here to assist. Good luck.
/Richard
Old 04-03-2018, 07:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rbreeze
^ Booreux - I understand you're using a VCDS to make your coding changes. Many/most of us here have been using the OBDeleven device & app to make the necessary coding changes to enable/activate ALA (and now TJA on certain Australian & Canadian 2018 Q5s), so we would probably never see the coding issue you're getting on Control Unit (44) Steering Assistance.
OBDeleven users only need to change the control unit 44 [Heading Control Assistant] parameter value from "not active" to "active". With your VCDS, according to the Mitchfin instruction, you need to "enable" Byte 2 > Bit 7, but instead when you try this you're getting a message saying it's out of range? What does your VCDS user manual say for parameters/locations reporting "out of range" messages?
Wish I could be more help. Hopefully some VCDS users will chime in here to assist. Good luck.
/Richard
Yes, I have VCDS but decided to sell the cable and buy the ODBeleven based on all the positive reviews on this forum. On vehicle for delivery and coming today.

Other people who have the ODBeleven have also posted errors trying to activate 44-Steering Heading Control Assistant which is why I was wondering if anyone who has had those issues could post a fix or if someone who has done it successfully could post the long coding so that I can compare to see if it's something that is different with the 2018 manufactured cars.

Thanks!!
Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by booreux
Yes, I have VCDS but decided to sell the cable and buy the ODBeleven based on all the positive reviews on this forum. On vehicle for delivery and coming today.

Other people who have the ODBeleven have also posted errors trying to activate 44-Steering Heading Control Assistant which is why I was wondering if anyone who has had those issues could post a fix or if someone who has done it successfully could post the long coding so that I can compare to see if it's something that is different with the 2018 manufactured cars.

Thanks!!
^ Using the OBDeleven I never had issues activating 44 Steering Heading Control Assistant on my '18 Q5. Glad to hear you've ordered [and will receive today] an OBDeleven.
Let's see how you go now with your new OBDeleven. Good luck!
/R
Old 04-03-2018, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
Fitting the steering column switch is not that hard it`s getting the correct one, think there are over 70 different versions, mine is A5 coup has speed limiter and cruise control, so to add the ALA button i need part no 4M0 907 129 HG this part has now been superseded 4M0 907 129 MA so both will do the job.
The problem i have found is that you then need to code the steering module and i cant find any info for the b9`s lots for b8`s
I fitted the switch but had to remove it and fit my original as i couldn't code it.

Last edited by audidave69; 04-03-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Add photo

Quick Reply: Coding for turning on Audi Active Lane Assist (all cars with pre sense)