A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ignoring that people think Audi *will* replace it with their own, and that is yet to be known....there are so many logic gaps in your statement that I could not help myself.

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Yes, but many of us bought the car we did because of the availability of that option.
Really? Then you misunderstood what you bought and what an "optional service" is. Unless you have some sort of documentation that shows Audi used Connect Prime and the guarantee of these services never going away to convince you to by an A4 in the first place?

If they take away that option, we haven't received what we paid for. There was nothing in any of the materials, at least when I bought my car a year ago, saying that option might be taken away.
That isn't the case at all. You bought a car and received what you paid for. A beautiful A4 with the capability to *add on* the Connect Prime service with all of these wonderful features. If you're paying for Connect Prime then you are also getting what you paid for. If they change Connect Prime and violate their agreement for that then you have actions against Audi for the Connect Prime service. *Although* there is the following in the publicly available terms and conditions which you agreed to when you signed up:

located here: https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...Jan_4_2016.pdf

"3. Changes to Terms of Service
We can change these Terms of Service; change, add or delete Services and Service Plans; and
change the prices we charge for each Service Plan, at any time. Any change in prices for your
Service Plan will not take effect until the current term of your Service Plan has expired. We will
notify you of such change by posting of amended terms. It is your responsibility to review these
Terms of Service periodically. You can cancel this Agreement if you do not agree to the change,
but if you do not notify us within 30 days after we give you notice of the change, then the change will become part of this agreement."

I would feel pretty good about bringing that class action suit if it happened.
Sorry, you'd have no case since they appear to be living up to their terms you *accepted* when you signed up for Connect Prime.

If they pull it and don't replace it with a comparable service then your option is to vote with your wallet. If enough people cancel to make a difference Audi will put it, or something comparable, back.

Last edited by mmorais; 07-12-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Why are you being such an *** about this? And where did you go to law school? (I went to Georgetown.)
Old 07-12-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Because when you post things like that you should expect to be challenged. And if you went to law school and I'm wrong you can show me? If there's a real bait and switch here then where is it?
Old 07-12-2017, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mmorais
And if you went to law school and I'm wrong you can show me?
Actually, I'm not willing to waste any more time with you. Go be an *** to someone else.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Audi needs to wake up and not become another Microsoft. They need to introduce regular software updates (free with Audi Care) and paid feature updates (like adding Here overlay to 2018 or older cars). Driving and design aside, eventually all cars will be defined by their software and not by their engine or suspension.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Why are you being such an *** about this? And where did you go to law school? (I went to Georgetown.)
I don't see how he's being an *** for trying to explain his position. Last time I checked, a debate is where you try to present arguable facts and refute; not name calling.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiA4B6US
Audi needs to wake up and not become another Microsoft. They need to introduce regular software updates (free with Audi Care) and paid feature updates (like adding Here overlay to 2018 or older cars). Driving and design aside, eventually all cars will be defined by their software and not by their engine or suspension.
They do. In Europe and elsewhere. Audi of America needs to pull their collective heads out of their asses and prioritize customer service instead of units sold. Aftersales for AoA is an entirely different beast, and frankly one of the worst in the industry. (Only Porsche is worse in my opinion.)

Example: A good friend received a "customer goodwill" service visit recently in Europe. This free visit included various software updates, fluid top off, alignment, pressure check, courtesy wash, and another session to familiarize him with the car/answer additional questions that arise as part of ownership.

My local TFM told me to pound sand when I requested an MMI update, instead sharing a terribly worded, dishonest, and misspelled TSB. Thankfully, I have other ways to get updates.

As for the legal issue, Audi has no responsibility to update your vehicle or replace any functionality lost by the discontinuance of Google Earth. You bought a service, and the terms of the service indicate that they can be changed at any point - with notice - at Audi's discretion.

Think of it another way, using Apple as an example. You buy a brand new MacBook Pro. Apple commits to releasing updates for it for a certain period of time. There is no guarantee future updates will work. When one is released that doesn't, does Apple owe you a new computer? No.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by wdimagineer
Think of it another way, using Apple as an example. You buy a brand new MacBook Pro. Apple commits to releasing updates for it for a certain period of time. There is no guarantee future updates will work. When one is released that doesn't, does Apple owe you a new computer? No.
Flawed analogy. Of course, they don't owe you a new computer. They do, however, owe you the service they promised to provide as a material inducement for you to buy the computer you bought.

By the way, it is very cool that as an Audi insider you participate in this forum as you do. Much appreciated.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Flawed analogy. Of course, they don't owe you a new computer. They do, however, owe you the service they promised to provide as a material inducement for you to buy the computer you bought.

By the way, it is very cool that as an Audi insider you participate in this forum as you do. Much appreciated.
It's actually not. Apple could entice you to buy a Mac with a software program like Aperture, for example. Apple discontinued Aperture. Fortunately, it continues to operate and is available to download from the App Store. It's likely GE would continue to as well, using data cached on the internal SSD.

Audi sold you a vehicle with navigation, and an optional service with Google Earth.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wdimagineer

My local TFM told me to pound sand when I requested an MMI update, instead sharing a terribly worded, dishonest, and misspelled TSB. Thankfully, I have other ways to get updates.

As for the legal issue, Audi has no responsibility to update your vehicle or replace any functionality lost by the discontinuance of Google Earth. You bought a service, and the terms of the service indicate that they can be changed at any point - with notice - at Audi's discretion.

Unfortunately it is more expensive to buy a new car with the updated MMI than to buy a new MacBook Pro.

Quick Reply: Google Earth Going Away in 2021?