A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 03:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

This whole back and forth about Audi's responsibilities feels moot and premature (name calling notwithstanding and not permitted in the forums) . Audi now owns HERE with Mercedes and BMW (formerly NavTeq which Audi currently uses for nav map and data) which has an excellent 3D overlay that appears to be superior to Google's. There is no reason to believe that it will not be a replacement for Google Earth and there is plenty of time for those of us who currently enjoy the Earth overlay to discover what Audi will do down the road for earlier model owners. Since Earth is a download data source, it wouldn't take much in coding to receive HERE overlays in its place.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Audi now owns HERE with Mercedes and BMW (formerly NavTeq which Audi currently uses for nav map and data) which has an excellent 3D overlay that appears to be superior to Google's.
Which leads to another question: is there a place to report errors in the nav system's routing? Since I am not paying the extra fee for Connect/Connect Prime I am using the default app.

I live on a street which is gated at both ends and open to a cross street in the middle. Nav tries to route me to the ends and insists that the middle access is closed, just the opposite.

Any place to report this? Thanks!
Old 07-18-2017, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Which leads to another question: is there a place to report errors in the nav system's routing? Since I am not paying the extra fee for Connect/Connect Prime I am using the default app.

I live on a street which is gated at both ends and open to a cross street in the middle. Nav tries to route me to the ends and insists that the middle access is closed, just the opposite.

There may be a link to report these kinds of things on the HERE website or though their "HERE We Go" app. Just don't expect to see any changes for at least a couple of years.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis

https://mapcreator.here.com/mapcreator/

I used to work for Nokia, and some of my coworkers are still at HERE. It seems that employees either left like I did, went to HERE, or went to Microsoft.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank you, David. I have entered corrections, so now it is wait and see. Apparently I cannot install a map with the corrections until Audi says so.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The origin of the original report

I'm ordering a new A6 and was given the 2018 A6 Brochure. The text from the original post here is the same as a note found at the very bottom of page 4. I've told the dealer I want clarification before I place the order. He's checking now.
Does anyone have current information about the status of this?
Old 10-18-2017, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Audi only uses Googlemaps for an overlay. They navigation stuff is HERE.
Is this true? Today it tried to get me to make a left turn on a road that had a do not enter sign, and another one that had a no-left turn sign. I reported it to Google Maps. Was it google routing me or Here?

Also, I was never able to understand the Audi Nav system. Today I figured it out - it lists the turn-by turn directions in reverse order. So you need to read them from bottom to top. Weird.

Last edited by rsilvers129; 10-18-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Is this true? Today it tried to get me to make a left turn on a road that had a do not enter sign, and another one that had a no-left turn sign. I reported it to Google Maps. Was it google routing me or Here?
Google Maps is not the source of Audi nav data. As he wrote, the map data and routing is provided by HERE (formally NavTeq). The Google Earth feature is a photo overlay only on top of the car's HERE maps and is not used for navigation. Google Map as found online with computers and phone apps is a different system and is not sourced or employed by Audi.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Ok. What other brands of cars use this data?
Old 10-18-2017, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Ok. What other brands of cars use this data?
Most do. Audi, BMW and Daimler together bought HERE from Nokia last year. Nokia bought NavTeq a while back. NavTeq is a long time supplier of map data for car navigation systems.

Google Maps used to use NavTeq data before Google started to map the world themselves. There are only two big digital maps providers. Here and TomTom. And then there is Google and Apple who try to do it themselves. Microsoft uses HERE.

Last edited by superswiss; 10-18-2017 at 07:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Google Earth Going Away in 2021?