A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Earth Going Away in 2021?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 09:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just edited my road for Here, Tom Tom, Waze, and google maps. I added the road (which was sometimes missing), fixed the one-wayness, and put my house number in the correct spot.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

--- UPDATE ---

This topic has come up in other forums in the meantime, but nobody seems to have contacted Audi to find out what this is all about. So, I finally went ahead and contacted Audi Customer Service to find out what the deal is. Unfortunately, Google Earth is indeed going away for all current models. Anything older than MY2019 will lose the Google Earth functionality. I'm planning to respond and voice my displeasure with this development. What they said about new Hardware is simply BS. This doesn't sound like something that couldn't be resolved with a software update for existing models. If you like Google Earth, I would recommend you contact Audi and start making a stink about them taking away something that was clearly a selling point for the virtual cockpit in particular.

Here's the response from AoA:

The research is true. Audi vehicles were manufactured to support Google Earth, but Google has since created a new software update in which the hardware in older vehicles will no longer be compatible with. Audi has taken steps to manufacture hardware that is compatible with the new software in MY19 and newer vehicles. However,

there is no new hardware available for older model year vehicles at this time. Let me know if you have any further questions.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, if they are correct that it would take a hardware update (and will be unwilling to do so), they had better drop the cost of Audi Connect. At the very least.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

It fit's the picture though: No MMI updates, so ECU updates at all unless they are forced by a recall, lame excuse about new hardware while Tesla provides regular updates to any model ever sold. I recently got a survey implying that they (Audi) are looking into subscription features similar to AudiConnect but extended to let say Adaptive Cruise Control (hardware installed, software disabled until you pay). Audi has full access to all Navteq/Here (or whatever it's called this week) data and all it takes is new MMI software to replace Google Earth with Here. But that only costs money and doesn't sell new cars...
Old 11-14-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, this is turning into another reason for me to delay the purchase of my next car or potentially look elsewhere. I just had a B9 A5 loaner for a week while my RS5 got an alignment and two leaking hoses fixed. I've been spending time in the R8 and TT RS lately and the more I'm sitting in the B9 the less I like it. That cheap looking vent across the entire dash is starting to repulse me. The VC unless you have an S model and use the sport view as well as the nav view, it's just rather bland to look at. I find the traditional recessed gauges with the chrome trim around it in my RS5 a whole lot nicer to look at and the dash/cockpit design is more like the R8 and the TT. The B9 interior lost all the sporty feel that the B8 had. Also, the car had less than 2000 miles and it was already rattling and creaking around the doors. Speaking of the doors, they also no longer have the solid feel when you close them. The cost cutting is becoming rather obvious. Quite disappointing.

In addition, the MMI is drastically changing in the newer cars. The A8 introduced a brand new MMI with touchscreens and multiple displays. The same MMI is going to be in the A6/7 series and they are going with embedded Android as demonstrated in the Q8 sport concept. Not sure yet if the new system in the D5 and C8 is already running Android. I think I'm gonna wait for what the B9.5 has in store or get the next S6/7 for my daily driver.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-14-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Meh. Google Earth is only a gimmick for me. If I'm really trying to navigate I prefer a clean map - I don't need to see the roofs of all the houses in the neighborhood.

But I agree it's kinda a lame move on Audi's part.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nostromo
Meh. Google Earth is only a gimmick for me. If I'm really trying to navigate I prefer a clean map - I don't need to see the roofs of all the houses in the neighborhood.

But I agree it's kinda a lame move on Audi's part.
I used to think like that and the images used to be a bit grainy before Google improved the quality, but I've grown quite fond of it. There's something about seeing the real world representation in your cockpit with the navigation instruction. The detail of the terrain, seeing where there are houses and where there's just open space. Seeing neighborhood driveways and small roads that are not necessarily mapped. It's hard to really put a finger on, but for me there is a level of information present with Google Earth that the standard map doesn't provide. There's also the visual appeal, which matters a lot to me. The standard maps are not very attractive and the 3D view wastes significant space at the top with the artificial horizon. With the Virtual Cockpit, there's really no comparison, having the map with Google Earth in full screen view in the VC is quite something else. A precursor to augmented reality navigation systems.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
I used to think like that and the images used to be a bit grainy before Google improved the quality, but I've grown quite fond of it. There's something about seeing the real world representation in your cockpit with the navigation instruction. The detail of the terrain, seeing where there are houses and where there's just open space. Seeing neighborhood driveways and small roads that are not necessarily mapped. It's hard to really put a finger on, but for me there is a level of information present with Google Earth that the standard map doesn't provide. There's also the visual appeal, which matters a lot to me. The standard maps are not very attractive and the 3D view wastes significant space at the top with the artificial horizon. With the Virtual Cockpit, there's really no comparison, having the map with Google Earth in full screen view in the VC is quite something else. A precursor to augmented reality navigation systems.
I should mention I live in LA: Google Earth is just a massive clutter of roof after roof after roof. Every road is mapped. There are zero surprises.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Nostromo
I should mention I live in LA: Google Earth is just a massive clutter of roof after roof after roof. Every road is mapped. There are zero surprises.
That I can relate to. When driving in the city, the value is definitely less. Still prefer it over the fake 3D buildings, though.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That I can relate to. When driving in the city, the value is definitely less. Still prefer it over the fake 3D buildings, though.
Is Street View gone, too, which is often available in the cities? That can be used on the center display, but not on the VC right now. Will that disappear with the rest?

Quick Reply: Google Earth Going Away in 2021?