A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Google Maps or Waze on 2017 a4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that the Apple Maps routes have got better and are usually very accurate but I can’t deal with the off Centre map and driving position. Very strange... I like it in the middle.

maybe there is a setting somewhere?!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

When I was making my 90 mile trip from Maryland to Northern Virginia this week, I had both Audi nav and Waze navigating using the same route. Audi nav's ETA was an hour later than Waze's due to Audi's prediction of traffic delays. Not surprisingly, as I got close to my destination Audi's ETA started to move closer to Waze's. It turned out that Waze was almost dead on from the very beginning. I do not think Audi nav updates traffic info as well as Waze. As an aside, I have been generally surprised at how few Wazers there are around.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Problem with police reporting in Waze is that people mark Police on construction details. Those police cannot stop working to give you a speeding ticket, so there is no reason to report them.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
When I was making my 90 mile trip from Maryland to Northern Virginia this week, I had both Audi nav and Waze navigating using the same route. Audi nav's ETA was an hour later than Waze's due to Audi's prediction of traffic delays. Not surprisingly, as I got close to my destination Audi's ETA started to move closer to Waze's. It turned out that Waze was almost dead on from the very beginning. I do not think Audi nav updates traffic info as well as Waze. As an aside, I have been generally surprised at how few Wazers there are around.
Do you see a huge difference in the ETA between Google maps and waze considering waze is integrated into Google maps. I like the UI of Google maps better than waze. Also Google maps kind of highlights the recent places you have visited or any hotel reservations coming up.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsilvers129
Problem with police reporting in Waze is that people mark Police on construction details. Those police cannot stop working to give you a speeding ticket, so there is no reason to report them.
Waze allows me to drive 80 -85 all the time. Would rather slow down for a policeman on construction detail than to fly by one who is not lol! Plus a good share of my driving is commuting so you pretty quickly learn the construction zones.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Construction details are in plain site. You have to slow down for them anyway.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am driving-commuting with Waze in last one week, at a first look it was kind of weird GUI then I got used to it.
Almost like it if they would do couple changes:
# 1 I am missing the map zom-in/out or move around (same as googlemaps if they indeed integrated), here I feel the google map is way more advanced as a standalone map.
# 1 again, I am missing a volume control independent from a background sound (in example I am listening Spotify in offline mode), I remember at the initial setup waze asked me to allow integration but my thought to keep them each in their own swim-lane for any troubleshooting or finetuning.
# z I would like to have the notification box removable (this for both waze and googlemaps) so the screen would be wide open, the voice is already telling me things then why to have on the screen as well?
# y I like the HereMaps features still more then the Waze
Old 11-03-2017, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Couple days driving with Waze, I can firmly confirm that I don't like it ...
After work, rush hour, 4:15-4:30, GTA (Toronto) North of 407, on 400 or 404 Northbound.
Waze is sending me from a 60 Km "any" Avenue with so so traffic - towards a Hwy through several traffic lights and millions of cars stop-and-go - and the HWY turns out all red for next 10 kilometers...it is good I cross checked several times with google map otherwise I would be still sitting there...
this is a nono for a "respective app" everybody is cheering about.
This is a toy and not much more...falling behind Here Maps or google maps or any other GPS for decades...They putting in guizmos and icons, but what I want is to get home fast.
I will not uninstall, but will no playing with it at any work day...weekends maybe or some any other leisure drive...