A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

How long is the CPO warranty, actually?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 06:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long is the CPO warranty, actually?

Hi all - new member here and I am looking at purchasing a 2021 CPO A4. I am a bit confused by the CPO warranty. Is it 5 years and unlimited miles total, or do I have unlimited miles from the date the factory warranty expires? If the latter, how does Audi know what date I crossed the mileage threshold?
Old 03-18-2022, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,612 Posts

A. You buy the CPO warranty and the car has remaining new warranty remaining (the car is both <48 months since in-service date and <50k miles). Your new warranty expires when either 48 months or 50k miles has passed. The CPO is active until 60 months since in-service date, with no regard for miles. So if you show up for a claim at 40 months and 52k miles, it's a CPO warranty claim. If you show up at 50 months and 40k miles, it's a CPO warranty claim. If you show up at 61 months regardless of miles, your SOL.

B. You buy the CPO warranty and the car has no new warranty remaining (the car is either >48 months or >50k miles). You have CPO warranty for 12 months from that day, no regard for miles.

Old 03-18-2022, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
A. You buy the CPO warranty and the car has remaining new warranty remaining (the car is both <48 months since in-service date and <50k miles). Your new warranty expires when either 48 months or 50k miles has passed. The CPO is active until 60 months since in-service date, with no regard for miles. So if you show up for a claim at 40 months and 52k miles, it's a CPO warranty claim. If you show up at 50 months and 40k miles, it's a CPO warranty claim. If you show up at 61 months regardless of miles, your SOL.

B. You buy the CPO warranty and the car has no new warranty remaining (the car is either >48 months or >50k miles). You have CPO warranty for 12 months from that day, no regard for miles.
Great, that’s what I thought. The car in question has an in-service date of January 2021, so I will effectively have a little less than four years of warranty remaining. I drive 15k to 20k miles per year, so this warranty seems like a pretty good deal.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not as good as the old CPO. The old CPO was to 100k miles, time unlimited. 12 months is only worth 18k miles to me, whereas 50k miles is worth 33 months.
But yeah, I wouldn't buy a used Audi without the CPO if I can get it (not available on >60k miles vehicles, nor from non-Audi dealerships).
Old 03-23-2022, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 263 Likes on 201 Posts

Fwiw, I was in today buying CPO and was told there was a 100,000mi expiration also. Now, I can't imagine hitting 100K in the one year after the 4yr/50K factory warranty expires, but that's what they told me, for completeness.
Old 03-23-2022, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

My CPO back in 2018 was just an extra 12 months or 100K miles, whichever comes first. I’m at 43k and cPO ends this coming September - sadly
Old 03-23-2022, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

It's always subject to the piece of paper you're signing, so always read the actual paperwork vs. whatever some sales guy is saying. CPO sold before May 1, 2018 (up to 100k miles) and CPO sold after May 1, 2018 (+12 months) are as I've already pointed out. But if we go any look at the latest materials, it appears they have changed / are changing the CPO yet again. Though I couldn't find any contract documents.

https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/my...rotection.html

"our optional Audi CPO Vehicle Service Protection provides coverage up to eight years or 120,000 miles"
from the brochure is not the same as:
"our optional Audi CPO Vehicle Service Protection provides coverage up to two years and unlimited miles.ą⁶"
from the web page.

Where that footnote 16 is: "Adds coverage of one (1) or two (2) years and unlimited miles, depending on the term you select. The term of Audi Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle Service Protection begins on the Agreement Start Date. For In Warranty vehicles, the Agreement Start Date is calculated as five (5) years and one (1) day from the Manufacturer’s Original In Service Date. For Out of Warranty vehicles, the Agreement Start Date is calculated as one (1) year and one (1) day from the Agreement Purchase Date".

I'm not sure what to make of that. Why would the agreement start date be at 5 years; the original warranty is only 4 years.

So it seems things are changing again. And yet again Audi has used people with far inadequate conviction to accuracy. So what are you buying? Whatever the piece of paper you're signing says.
Old 03-23-2022, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And what is Term Protection?

"The premium performance of your Audi requires precision moving parts. Audi Term Protection covers parts and labor for wearable components(1) for up to six years or 72,000 miles, with no deductible the entire time(2). This way, when parts such as brake pads, belts and windshield wiper blades wear out, we’ll replace them at no
additional cost to you."

Appears to be something you have to buy on a new car within the first 12 months or 12k miles.

They can't even get that consistent; another document puts Term Protection as:

"The premium performance of your Audi requires precision moving parts. Audi Term Protection covers parts and labor for wearable components for up to four years or 60,000 miles, with no deductible the entire time(1). This way, when parts such as brake pads, belts and windshield wiper blades wear out, we’ll replace them at no additional cost to you."

That's quite a difference in deliverable.

Typical financial institution; if everything was clear and accurate, they couldn't make up a new scam for every customer.
Old 03-24-2022, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SMac770
And what is Term Protection?

"The premium performance of your Audi requires precision moving parts. Audi Term Protection covers parts and labor for wearable components(1) for up to six years or 72,000 miles, with no deductible the entire time(2). This way, when parts such as brake pads, belts and windshield wiper blades wear out, we’ll replace them at no
additional cost to you."

Appears to be something you have to buy on a new car within the first 12 months or 12k miles.

They can't even get that consistent; another document puts Term Protection as:

"The premium performance of your Audi requires precision moving parts. Audi Term Protection covers parts and labor for wearable components for up to four years or 60,000 miles, with no deductible the entire time(1). This way, when parts such as brake pads, belts and windshield wiper blades wear out, we’ll replace them at no additional cost to you."

That's quite a difference in deliverable.

Typical financial institution; if everything was clear and accurate, they couldn't make up a new scam for every customer.
Term Protection is basically a service contract that covers many of the wear items not covered under your manufacturer vehicle warranty.

You' would have to read the plan being offered to you for the exact details, but the contract I read included brake pads, battery, windshield wipers, wheel alignment, belts and hoses, headlamps, bulbs and fuses, and for an extra cost, the brake rotors as well.

You can buy this service contract for various terms, and of course the price will be scaled appropriately for the length of the contract. When I purchased my Audi a few months ago, they quoted me prices for 48 month and 60 month terms.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I guess if you plan on only letting the dealership touch the car, TermProt might work out ok. But anyone sourcing their own parts no doubt would do better without it.

I do wonder how much of this VSP / CPO / TermProt stuff is locked down by AFS (Audi Financial Services) and how much if it is open to whatever the dealership wants to negotiate to offer.

The thing I did notice was the dates on the brochure materials regarding the out of norm CPO statements were late '17 and early '18. The PDF terms and conditions document that referred to CPO sold after May 1 '18 was a much more committed document. So I think CPO is still as I had it originally, and that current CPO terms are the simple +12 months.