iOS 11.2 breaks CarPlay on 2017 A4?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markymids
I took a video of the problem to assist Apple, you can view it here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6hf5y8hj1l...blems.MOV?dl=0
I am experiencing the exact same problem with a 2017 A4 allroad and iPhone X. I have finally worked out the cause and a convenient workaround...

The cause: as you have reported, when CarPlay user interface is visible on the MMI screen, and I shift the car in reverse gear, the backup camera's image appears on the MMI. When I shift into forward gear, the camera's image disappears, but the CarPlay user interface does not reappear-- and selecting the CarPlay icon will not make it reappear. One must either unplug the USB cable from the iPhone, or reboot the MMI by holding down its large scroll wheel button while simultaneously pushing the NAV and RADIO buttons upward (both are unsafe while driving). This is definitely an MMI firmware bug.

The workaround: before shifting into reverse gear, press the MMI's MENU button to exit CarPlay mode. After shifting back into forward gear, select the CarPlay icon, and the CarPlay user interface will display properly.
Old 01-31-2018, 05:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I just updated to iOS 11.2 over the weekend, and now CarPlay doesn't work. Anyone else with this experience?
I have the same experience with our Audi Q7
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I just updated to iOS 11.2 over the weekend, and now CarPlay doesn't work. Anyone else with this experience?
I had the same problem. Then I realized that my Bluetooth settings in Audi smart interface was set to visible & it had a different name other than my iPhone Bluetooth. When I turned that setting to off, my Apple CarPlay came up immediately! So relieved!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Nostromo
It's working for me on iphoneX. but it's very glitchy. If my pre-sense goes off (which it likes to beep at me in heavy traffic), I can no longer get to the carplay screen. I have to unplug, wait, and plug the phone back in
old thread iknow, but iwondered if you had found a fix for this?
I have a 2017 S5 plus an iphone 6s on ios 11.2 ... as you say, CarPlay initially works fine until something causes the mmi screen to display something else... reverse camera, seat controls etc.. then the mmi goes back to the main menu.. carplay music still plays and i can forward the track, but although the carolay icon is still green/active i cannot get back into the carolay mmi screen.
I could understand having issues if i were using an old Nokia phone, but with a fairly current iphone, this is disappionting given Audi’s claim to the most advanced infotainment system
Old 02-17-2018, 03:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Garyf3005

old thread iknow, but iwondered if you had found a fix for this?
I have a 2017 S5 plus an iphone 6s on ios 11.2 ... as you say, CarPlay initially works fine until something causes the mmi screen to display something else... reverse camera, seat controls etc.. then the mmi goes back to the main menu.. carplay music still plays and i can forward the track, but although the carolay icon is still green/active i cannot get back into the carolay mmi screen.
I could understand having issues if i were using an old Nokia phone, but with a fairly current iphone, this is disappionting given Audi’s claim to the most advanced infotainment system
Yeah, same problem here with my 2018 SQ5. It seems that whenever the sensors detect something they don’t like, it kills the CarPlay display. The music keeps playing, but the display disappears, and you can’t get it back until you unplug the USB cable and reconnect it, which is a major pain while driving, since the cable is so short the phone ends up under your right elbow! Not safe! Last night I was using the navigation in CarPlay to get to a destination, but since it was snowing at the time, the snow was collecting on the front bumper parking sensors and radar sensors. The dash message was telling me that pre-sense was disabled, etc, which is fine, but that kept killing the CarPlay display, so I kept losing my iPhone’s navigation screen at the most inconvenient times. I actually missed a few key directions due to this.

Im also getting all the other weird music display issues, progress bar freezes, Bluetooth drops, album art issues, complete loss of the MMI screen, etc, but the dealer keeps telling me that there are no known issues, and that it must be my iPhone. My wife’s iPhone does the same thing. And when I’m driving a rental Hyundai in another city, CarPlay works very reliably. Yet the dealer still blames my phone.

i used to think Germans had great technology all round, but now I just think they’re great mechanical engineers, but not very good software engineers.

Last edited by jprouette; 02-17-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:32 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jprouette

Yeah, same problem here with my 2018 SQ5. It seems that whenever the sensors detect something they don’t like, it kills the CarPlay display. The music keeps playing, but the display disappears, and you can’t get it back until you unplug the USB cable and reconnect it, which is a major pain while driving, since the cable is so short the phone ends up under your right elbow! Not safe! Last night I was using the navigation in CarPlay to get to a destination, but since it was snowing at the time, the snow was collecting on the front bumper parking sensors and radar sensors. The dash message was telling me that pre-sense was disabled, etc, which is fine, but that kept killing the CarPlay display, so I kept losing my iPhone’s navigation screen at the most inconvenient times. I actually missed a few key directions due to this.

Im also getting all the other weird music display issues, progress bar freezes, Bluetooth drops, album art issues, complete loss of the MMI screen, etc, but the dealer keeps telling me that there are no known issues, and that it must be my iPhone. My wife’s iPhone does the same thing. And when I’m driving a rental Hyundai in another city, CarPlay works very reliably. Yet the dealer still blames my phone.

i used to think Germans had great technology all round, but now I just think they’re great mechanical engineers, but not very good software engineers.
I have an iPhone 8 Plus now & Apple car play works seamlessly except when it drops Bluetooth in areas where my WiFi gets weak
Old 02-27-2018, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default CarPlay Repeatedly Disconnects in 2017 Q7

Originally Posted by Nostromo
It's working for me on iphoneX. but it's very glitchy. If my pre-sense goes off (which it likes to beep at me in heavy traffic), I can no longer get to the carplay screen. I have to unplug, wait, and plug the phone back in
This same issue happens with my 2017 Q7. When ever the parking assist engages, it will not allow me to reconnect to CarPlay unless I disconnect it from the lightning connector and reconnect it. Frustrating as all hell. They gave me a loaner to try to get to the bottom of the issue with my can and the 2017 Q5 loaner did the same exact thing.
Old 02-28-2018, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by lifjoy
I am experiencing the exact same problem with a 2017 A4 allroad and iPhone X. I have finally worked out the cause and a convenient workaround...

The cause: as you have reported, when CarPlay user interface is visible on the MMI screen, and I shift the car in reverse gear, the backup camera's image appears on the MMI. When I shift into forward gear, the camera's image disappears, but the CarPlay user interface does not reappear-- and selecting the CarPlay icon will not make it reappear. One must either unplug the USB cable from the iPhone, or reboot the MMI by holding down its large scroll wheel button while simultaneously pushing the NAV and RADIO buttons upward (both are unsafe while driving). This is definitely an MMI firmware bug.

The workaround: before shifting into reverse gear, press the MMI's MENU button to exit CarPlay mode. After shifting back into forward gear, select the CarPlay icon, and the CarPlay user interface will display properly.
This is exactly what I do to get around it
Old 02-28-2018, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dennishylau
This is exactly what I do to get around it
I do the same thing to prevent the problem (switch out of Carplay). If you forget and hit the bug, you do not have to reboot the MMI nor disconnect/reconnect the lightning cable. You can alternatively use the MMI Connection Manager and disconnect/reconnect to restore Carplay.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default CarPlay and parking assist problem. dealer response.

I have the same problem with parking mode and CarPlay on my 2018 S5. Took it to dealer three times before they could admit its a problem with the car. They said that they contacted Audi about it and its being worked on.

Here's the service summary:

Let me know if anyone hears anything! This is driving me crazy as I live in a high traffic area where parking mode is engaged when anyone gets close. It makes CarPlay completely unusable.

EB

Quick Reply: iOS 11.2 breaks CarPlay on 2017 A4?