A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

JB4 Information thread for 2.0T 252hp

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Helped my friend install a JB4 tonight in his B9 A4. For those that aren't sure about the JB4 because of the install, it is a breeze. All I can say about the power is WOW! HUGE difference in power vs. stock. Makes the car pull all the way until the redline. I have driven an ECU tuned B5 and B8 A4 and this is definitely more noticeable. The only complaint if I really have to find one is because of the increased torque the "slop" in either the engine or trans is much more noticeable... meaning you can feel them move on hard shifts or quick deceleration. This was a manual trans car, not sure about the autos.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by A4ORCE1
Helped my friend install a JB4 tonight in his B9 A4. For those that aren't sure about the JB4 because of the install, it is a breeze. All I can say about the power is WOW! HUGE difference in power vs. stock. Makes the car pull all the way until the redline. I have driven an ECU tuned B5 and B8 A4 and this is definitely more noticeable. The only complaint if I really have to find one is because of the increased torque the "slop" in either the engine or trans is much more noticeable... meaning you can feel them move on hard shifts or quick deceleration. This was a manual trans car, not sure about the autos.
Hi there! Would you explain a little more on the reported slop in the manual transmission? That is what I am worried about when I install my JB1, even though it doesn't put out as much power as JB4 does. On the manual in stock form, I noticed the shifter was a bit notchy and I shifted into the wrong gear a couple times.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it noticeable on lower RPM's?
Old 09-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the mini review.
Does the sloppiness occur at any rpm point it lands on in the rpm range. We can most likely do a map 6 to drop the torque at that point if the user is keen to try it out.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by George@BMS
Thanks for the mini review.
Does the sloppiness occur at any rpm point it lands on in the rpm range. We can most likely do a map 6 to drop the torque at that point if the user is keen to try it out.
I think it is just a result of the trans/engine mounts. He is going to order the 034 motorsports billet trans and subframe mounts to stiffen things up a bit. I doubt he is interested in lowering the torque
Old 09-28-2017, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kinman Chung
Hi there! Would you explain a little more on the reported slop in the manual transmission? That is what I am worried about when I install my JB1, even though it doesn't put out as much power as JB4 does. On the manual in stock form, I noticed the shifter was a bit notchy and I shifted into the wrong gear a couple times.
Slop was probably a poor choice of words. The tune didn't effect the shifting or clutch feel, they seem to handle the power just fine. Under heavy load or when quickly letting off the throttle you can feel movement in the drivetrain. You could feel it when stock too but much less. I bet an aftermarket engine/trans mount with fix things up nicely.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
Is it noticeable on lower RPM's?
From what I recall, it seems to really throw you back around the high 2K and low 3K range.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Random thoughts and questions on JB4

From what I recall, it seems to really throw you back around the high 2K and low 3K range.
I'm seriously tempted to try it, even though I already have the Neuspeed Power Module installed. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference. The JB4 looks very intimidating, but I'm wondering if I might be disappointed in the JB1, even though the JB1 can do more with the extra connection the Neuspeed doesn't have (Plug C near the manifold, as both the Neuspeed and the JB1 have the other two sensors in common). The JB4 has two additional connections the Neuspeed doesn't have (the AFR wire and the ODB plug).

For George, I have a couple of questions looking through the install guide. Are the pictures of the ODB port wires from the vantage point of the inside of the car or from the engine bay, in particular the one showing the grommet below the picture of the ODB port? Is the picture after that a view from the engine bay? And if it is, where in the engine bay is that? Is that high up or down below where you have to use a flashlight to see it? I'm trying to get a feel for how hard it would be to install a JB4. If I interpret the directions correctly I only have to remove a couple of bolts to get to that grommet in the firewall, but I'm not sure, as shining a flashlight under the dash where the ODB port is only shows a couple of them. HyperS4 mentioned something about having to take out the driver's side glove compartment as well, but I don't know if just taking out those two bolts would just do that for you. Unfortunately, for a newbie like me, it's hard to tell just how difficult it is to do that ODB port install. Is it easy to put the piece of the dash back once the connection is made? Are there more than two bolts? What's the best way to punch through the firewall? Can you just slither a wire past the tube, or do you have to use something like a knife or flat head screwdriver to make that hole?

Another thing that has me concerned with the JB4 is that if someone does make a hole in the firewall, wouldn't that be a big red flag to Audi that somebody installed a JB4 and removed it? Why else would there be a hole there at this moment in time? Is there another reason to make a hole there that isn't related to piggy back tunes? Maybe it's me being paranoid, but in considering the Neuspeed, I was thinking I'd have to remove the velcro I used to attach it to the engine bay since the presence of one side of the velcro might set off red flags. This is a similar thing.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have some pictures or guides on how to remove the lower dash and perform this installation?
Old 09-29-2017, 01:18 PM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthwestB9
I'm seriously tempted to try it, even though I already have the Neuspeed Power Module installed. I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference. The JB4 looks very intimidating, but I'm wondering if I might be disappointed in the JB1, even though the JB1 can do more with the extra connection the Neuspeed doesn't have (Plug C near the manifold, as both the Neuspeed and the JB1 have the other two sensors in common). The JB4 has two additional connections the Neuspeed doesn't have (the AFR wire and the ODB plug).

For George, I have a couple of questions looking through the install guide. Are the pictures of the ODB port wires from the vantage point of the inside of the car or from the engine bay, in particular the one showing the grommet below the picture of the ODB port? Is the picture after that a view from the engine bay? And if it is, where in the engine bay is that? Is that high up or down below where you have to use a flashlight to see it? I'm trying to get a feel for how hard it would be to install a JB4. If I interpret the directions correctly I only have to remove a couple of bolts to get to that grommet in the firewall, but I'm not sure, as shining a flashlight under the dash where the ODB port is only shows a couple of them. HyperS4 mentioned something about having to take out the driver's side glove compartment as well, but I don't know if just taking out those two bolts would just do that for you. Unfortunately, for a newbie like me, it's hard to tell just how difficult it is to do that ODB port install. Is it easy to put the piece of the dash back once the connection is made? Are there more than two bolts? What's the best way to punch through the firewall? Can you just slither a wire past the tube, or do you have to use something like a knife or flat head screwdriver to make that hole?

Another thing that has me concerned with the JB4 is that if someone does make a hole in the firewall, wouldn't that be a big red flag to Audi that somebody installed a JB4 and removed it? Why else would there be a hole there at this moment in time? Is there another reason to make a hole there that isn't related to piggy back tunes? Maybe it's me being paranoid, but in considering the Neuspeed, I was thinking I'd have to remove the velcro I used to attach it to the engine bay since the presence of one side of the velcro might set off red flags. This is a similar thing.
When we released the JB1 for the Golfs many users moved over to it from the NPM and a google search will bring up a lot of information. The NPM does not have a rpm signal so I suspect the sudden boost request will affect the power delivery later in the rpm range. The large plug you mentioned sends rpm signal to the JB1 as well as fuel biasing to the rail increasing fuel pressure. The NPM works by having a lean condition at the O2 sensor and the ECU compensating for fuel. The JB1 avoids this cycle by matching rail pressure to unmeasured boost keeping the ECU out of constant adaption mode allowing for a smoother power delivery.

The OBD wire exits where the red wire is below on the right side access compartment as you looking at the engine.

In terms of trim from the inside I have only done a right hand drive which has a exit elsewhere. Prior to getting it or deciding take a shot at removing the panels till you can see the thick harness that exits the cabin. It should require four bolts total. Two for trim and two for the drop down storage compartment. If you can see the harness then its simple to do. The slit in the rubber is not a issue as I doubt techs will inspect the whole car as they are in the business of conducting repairs and rely on the electronic means for mods.
The following users liked this post:
LGARCIA (11-10-2022)

Quick Reply: JB4 Information thread for 2.0T 252hp