A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Just bit somebody's tail

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
So the insurance appraisal just came in. It's $16,228. Approaching half the worth of this car. All replacement parts cost $12,090. Basically replacing whole front shell including front bumper, grill, hood, two LED head lamp assemblies plus some other embraces as well as AC condenser. The two LED headlights alone cost $4,200. Very expensive. If previous experience is accurate, there usually a supplemental and will add extra cost. I also learn that my insurance already paid the other party $942.45 for the rear bumper (probably according to their appraisal).
but its probably wishful thinking on my part.

This is absolutely incredible. If this is from a 10 mph collision, I'm guessing a 25-30 mph hit would have totaled your car.
Old 04-26-2017, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, it definitely wasn't above 20. The thing is, the impact is right above front bumper embrace due to the height of the Jeep tail. So the most soft part of the upper front got smashed in. The guy at the body shop told me that the clam shell hood design created impact transfer even affected two front doors which need be re-aligned. Also, this appraiser factored in a lot of parts I didn't realize need be replaced. I do see one head lamp has a crack. I thought the other one was OK. I was using the AC when drove to the body Shop and it felt producing cold air but they say the condenser need be changed. I even saw $650 for paint protection film which I am scratching my head here. Anyway, my hope is all the mechanical parts are still intact and were not damaged.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by minmet
Well, it definitely wasn't above 20. The thing is, the impact is right above front bumper embrace due to the height of the Jeep tail. So the most soft part of the upper front got smashed in. The guy at the body shop told me that the clam shell hood design created impact transfer even affected two front doors which need be re-aligned. Also, this appraiser factored in a lot of parts I didn't realize need be replaced. I do see one head lamp has a crack. I thought the other one was OK. I was using the AC when drove to the body Shop and it felt producing cold air but they say the condenser need be changed. I even saw $650 for paint protection film which I am scratching my head here. Anyway, my hope is all the mechanical parts are still intact and were not damaged.
Well, there is a big difference in damages if you are going 20 rather than 10 mph, but that is still a lot of damage. But as you mention, the height of the jeep played a role as well as modern cars are meant to absorb the crash and get "schmuzzed" and protect the passengers. Hopefully all will be fixed good as new.