A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Love Hate Relationship

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
The thing that drives me most nuts about my Prestige A4 is how bad the navigation routing is. Every time I leave work to go home I get a pop up saying that my route has like a half hour delay, but you'd have to be nuts to go that route anyway. Then I recalculate and pick a more reasonable (but still not as Google) route.

It also seems to be unwilling to take back roads even when it makes more sense. This morning the navigation REALLY wanted me to do a U turn to get back on the highway and get stuck in the traffic it was showing on that highway instead of continuing on the back road I was on which was a much more direct, faster, and no traffic route.
A bit off topic:
I have a 2016 A6 but on two occasions have had 2017 A4’s as loaners from my dealer. On both occasions I hated the voice function in terms of entering details of an address when seeking NAV route guidance. When I hit the voice button on the steering wheel the voice and MMI prompts said something like “enter house number, street, city and state if it is not the current state.” I started saying as individual numbers: "1-3-2", planning to continue with the rest of the full address (132 West 31 Street, New York City) and before I got to “street” or “city” the voice interrupted and asked me to select from a list of localities (not numbers or streets), none of which seem to relate to anything I had said, they were villages in NYS starting with “s”. The other day I sat at the side of the road for like 10 minutes following every prompt I received (voice and on MMI) and keep getting the same non-relevant responses. Finally I ignored them and just said “New York City.” At that point a series of prompts allowed me to say the street and house number and then the guidance started and continued with no problem. I subsequently needed to go to White Plains NY and ignored the verbal and MMI prompts to enter house #, street, etc. and in frustration just yelled "White Plains NY". This produced another succession of prompts and it worked – I got the guidance. These seems very odd to me – is it normal for the B9?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Why don't you guys just wear the seatbelt first thing you do after you switch the engine on?
Maybe it because I lived most of my life in the Middle East where fines for not wearing seat belts are insane. The first thing I do after I turn the engine on is to put on my seatbelt. Even before I move. The only times I've heard the chime is when my wife put her seatbelt on a bit late. And she knows it pisses me off so she wears it asap too.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Why don't you guys just wear the seatbelt first thing you do after you switch the engine on?
I became an avid seat belt wearer after working corners at sports car races. I saw drivers unhurt after serious crashes and roll-overs and learned what great protection is offered.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
I became an avid seat belt wearer after working corners at sports car races. I saw drivers unhurt after serious crashes and roll-overs and learned what great protection is offered.
I don't think anybody on this thread is advocating not wearing seat belts.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
... My issue with the belt chime is the weight sensitivity of the passenger seat. Sometime when my iPad is sitting in the passenger seat the car will detect it as enough weight that it thinks it's a person and I'll get that seat belt chime....
That's odd. Sometimes I put a fully loaded camera bag on my passenger seat, and it doesn't activate my seatbelt chime.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by sprior
The thing that drives me most nuts about my Prestige A4 is how bad the navigation routing is. Every time I leave work to go home I get a pop up saying that my route has like a half hour delay, but you'd have to be nuts to go that route anyway. Then I recalculate and pick a more reasonable (but still not as Google) route.

It also seems to be unwilling to take back roads even when it makes more sense. This morning the navigation REALLY wanted me to do a U turn to get back on the highway and get stuck in the traffic it was showing on that highway instead of continuing on the back road I was on which was a much more direct, faster, and no traffic route.
I agree with you, Navigation can be very annoying. It doesn't always take the shortest route, and when you start heading a route you know is quicker, it will nag you to "turn right, and then right again" at every single intersection you approach. It will do this for miles until you get closer to your destination.

Navigation also often warns me that there's a "roadblock ahead," or some other traffic delay, but when I get there, there is none.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a couple of pre-sense false alarms in 7 months of ownership. Once, it triggered on a 2 lane highway for no discernible reason whatsoever and I'm sure that the driver behind me was cursing at me for slamming on my brakes. The other time was a situation where there was an oncoming car slightly in my lane trying to skip up to the left hand turn lane. There wasn't any real risk, but I could understand how the computer would consider it a risk.

I've also had a handful of situations where pre-sense triggered (not sure if it was just an alert or alert and brakes) correctly. I was on top of the situations and in no danger of crashing, but the computer is still quicker than human reactions.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by drewba
I have had a couple of pre-sense false alarms in 7 months of ownership. Once, it triggered on a 2 lane highway for no discernible reason whatsoever and I'm sure that the driver behind me was cursing at me for slamming on my brakes. The other time was a situation where there was an oncoming car slightly in my lane trying to skip up to the left hand turn lane. There wasn't any real risk, but I could understand how the computer would consider it a risk.

I've also had a handful of situations where pre-sense triggered (not sure if it was just an alert or alert and brakes) correctly. I was on top of the situations and in no danger of crashing, but the computer is still quicker than human reactions.
If you had an option to have the pre-sense, would you hesitate to get it or do you still think it's worth it?

I've decided to wait for a 18' model and I'm always changing my mind if I want to spend an extra 2 grand for the Advanced Driver Assistance Package.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
If you had an option to have the pre-sense, would you hesitate to get it or do you still think it's worth it?

I've decided to wait for a 18' model and I'm always changing my mind if I want to spend an extra 2 grand for the Advanced Driver Assistance Package.
I don't think you need the ADAP system to get pre sense.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
I've had my A4 with DAP for 3 days now and I'm loving the DAP features. In stop and go traffic the car will automatically slow to zero and then accelerate again once the car in front of you drives on. If you were stopped longer than 3 sections you need to tap the gas to get the car automatically moving again.

One trick: If you are approaching a stop light, if you are in an open lane the car will not detect the stop light; you need to hit the brakes. But if you are in a lane with a car in front of you, the car will slow to zero automatically, just like you were in a traffic jam. Then when the light turns green, tap the gas and off she goes again.

Quick Reply: Love Hate Relationship