A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

LukeHawk's A4 Build Thread - "The White Wolf"

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 06:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby
They're replacements for the reflectors -- there is no light that shines through them to begin with.
Ok, thanks. I would have thought replacing the reflectors with solid pieces would be a no no as far as the law was concerned. But they do look nice though.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chompers
beautiful. did you do the grill swap yourself? everytime i see a non NA bumper I have the urge to remove the amber reflectors or even swapping out the bumper entirely.
Thanks! I got the body shop to fit it all for me. They painted to new bumper, and did the complete swap. I'm pretty handy myself, but they offered to do it for free after painting, so I opted for that. Yeah, I'm glad I dont have the reflectors, as they sort of ruin the clean look. Isnt it a law in America?

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
What M and MY?

Looks great btw!
2.0 TFSI A4. MY2017. The 190hp "ultra" model, whatever that is. Where I'm, from, that's pretty much the top engine trim for that year model, with the 1.4TFSI being the lower spec. the 252hp quattro is not often seen around here, possibly because of the climate? I'm not sure. Thinking about a JB4 or race-chip in the future to get more out of the engine.

Originally Posted by BeezySBaby
Did you also add the lower door splitters? Mind if I ask how you went about that? I've seen the replacement instructions before, but the S-Line comes with clips for it to attach to.
By lower door splitters, do you mean the side skirts? They came standard on my vehicle. How these cars are spec'd where I live seems to be a but different. A4's aren't classified in "premium plus" or anything like that here. You get the standard, the "Sport" and the "S-Line" I think. You can also get the black edition, but it only adds a black grill and black mirror caps, not a spoiler and black side-skirts like I've seen elsewhere. I think my car is the "Sport", as it never came with the S-line front and back, but very well spec'd out with everything else. Everything comes as an option you can add.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeHawk
By lower door splitters, do you mean the side skirts? They came standard on my vehicle. How these cars are spec'd where I live seems to be a but different. A4's aren't classified in "premium plus" or anything like that here. You get the standard, the "Sport" and the "S-Line" I think. You can also get the black edition, but it only adds a black grill and black mirror caps, not a spoiler and black side-skirts like I've seen elsewhere. I think my car is the "Sport", as it never came with the S-line front and back, but very well spec'd out with everything else. Everything comes as an option you can add.
I do, and thanks for the info! In the US, our "Premium" level doesn't get those, the S-line front end, or the S-line rear diffuser/bumper to my knowledge.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah by law they have to have it but it ruins the look and I’m more likely to be pulled over for no front plates than removing reflectors.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by chompers
Yeah by law they have to have it but it ruins the look and I’m more likely to be pulled over for no front plates than removing reflectors.

I have not had front plates on for over 3 years on my 2016 Macan and 2017 AR and never got pulled over. However I got pulled over last year in NYC for having a clear cover over my rear plates. Apparently it hinders that camera in the sky catching speeders. I had no idea about that; I got away with a warning, but removed the cover that evening.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The problem with those TAG replacements is 1) cost and 2) installation. Apparently you have to remove the bumper to put these on, they aren't simply 'peel and stick' or removing the original reflectors are clipped into the body, hence, removal of the bumper is required. It's too much work for me and I don't know how to do that.

So I went the tinted route and I think it looks amazing.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
The problem with those TAG replacements is 1) cost and 2) installation. Apparently you have to remove the bumper to put these on, they aren't simply 'peel and stick' or removing the original reflectors are clipped into the body, hence, removal of the bumper is required. It's too much work for me and I don't know how to do that.

So I went the tinted route and I think it looks amazing.
Tag states installation is 30 minutes or less.

Can’t imagine you remove the bumper, switch the reflectors and then reattach the bumper in 30 or less?
Old 07-11-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Tag states installation is 30 minutes or less.

Can’t imagine you remove the bumper, switch the reflectors and then reattach the bumper in 30 or less?
Not sure, i thought I read that somewhere about them that's why I never considered it. I could be completely wrong about it though.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i have a clear license plate cover so hopefully i can get away with that. a cover makes my car washes much easier as theres nothing for the microfibers to snag on.

what do you guys think about these? $60 reflectors but no longer orange. downside is the installation is the same as the tag ones.

https://www.uniquestyleracings.com/s...ht-BLSMAUA417F
Old 07-11-2019, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Not sure, i thought I read that somewhere about them that's why I never considered it. I could be completely wrong about it though.
Here's what I got back from Tag: These are installed through the wheel well area. You must pull back the fender liner and remove the reflector through the backside of the bumper. Once you remove the old reflectors clean up the adhesive residue and then install the new ones in it's place!

Quick Reply: LukeHawk's A4 Build Thread - "The White Wolf"