A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation without the Audi connect plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Updates

I think the catch to letting the 6 month Audi Connect trial lapse then down the road renewing again in hopes of "restarting" another 5 free map downloads is the restriction that it is only the FIRST five updates to the version of the map INSTALLED AT THE FACTORY that are free. I'm afraid Audi has us if we want to keep our mapping updated after the first 2-1/2 years.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Are the map updates tied to the VIN, or could an update downloaded by one owner be used on another car?
Old 04-11-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinB656
In that exchange, Audi customer service (Lisa) did not say it would be $400-$500. Richard told her that his salesman said it would be that amount. Lisa said it is done through service rather than sales and that Richard should check with the service department rather than relying on what the salesman said.

Now it could be that the service department says the same thing, but until someone from Audi or the service department provides a number we won't know. Lisa's response also suggests that it could be up to individual service departments to determine what they will charge. If that's the case, there may be opportunities to shop around.
This AM I asked the Service Manager at my Audi's dealership how maps could be updated after the initial 2-1/2 years of free updates. Can they be downloaded or shipped via DVD disc or SD card for a cost? "No, they have to be installed by a dealer". What is the cost to have a dealer install the update? "The 2017 and 2018 Audis are too new for any owner to need dealer installed updates yet therefore the dealer installed cost has not yet been determined."

Bend over Audi owners, you are about to be either absolutely gouged to update your mapping OR you will eventually have mapping years out of date. I will advise that the free (other than cellular data cost) Google mapping via Android Auto works fine, but for those of us that paid the big bucks for the "virtual cockpit" display the map only shows up on the smaller central display screen.
Old 04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe they will surprise us with a reasonable charge. Audi has worked hard to get to the top of the customer satisfaction heap and hosing us on this would go far to hurt that. I wonder if we will get updates for free if we subscribe to Audi Connect?
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KevinB656
Maybe they will surprise us with a reasonable charge. Audi has worked hard to get to the top of the customer satisfaction heap and hosing us on this would go far to hurt that. I wonder if we will get updates for free if we subscribe to Audi Connect?
To bad Audi does not follow Acura in providing map updates shipped by DVD (or SD card) for a reasonable cost.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Even $99 is ridiculous. You can buy more accurate Garmin software AND hardware for that.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rquinley
I think the catch to letting the 6 month Audi Connect trial lapse then down the road renewing again in hopes of "restarting" another 5 free map downloads is the restriction that it is only the FIRST five updates to the version of the map INSTALLED AT THE FACTORY that are free. I'm afraid Audi has us if we want to keep our mapping updated after the first 2-1/2 years.
Are you saying that someone who has continuous Audi connect service is still limited to map updates for only 2-1/2 years?
Old 04-21-2017, 03:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

https://www.audiusa.com/technology/i...e/audi-connect says "Over-the-Air Map Data Updates" are included in AudiConnect Prime without mentioning an end date or version. I guess we will have to wait until some time in 2018 when the first of us with AudiConnect are ready to get the 6th update.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan in St. Louis
Are the map updates tied to the VIN, or could an update downloaded by one owner be used on another car?
No, the map is not tied to the VIN.

I know because I bought a CPO 2017 A4 and downloaded the map update for it. I had to replace the car because the "ventilated confort sport seats" were just too uncomfortable! I am 6'4" and the seats ended up being too narrow for my size after a drive longer than the nornal "test drive".

Since I already had a SD card with the update and the replacement car also needed a map update, I tried loading it in the new car and it loaded without any problem.

This probably means that someone who has an active map update MyAudi account could share his updated maps.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great news! Thank you. Sometime about 2 years from now there will probably be a lot of Private Messages bouncing around............

Quick Reply: Navigation without the Audi connect plan