A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Navigation without the Audi connect plan

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Freak
No, the map is not tied to the VIN.

I know because I bought a CPO 2017 A4 and downloaded the map update for it. I had to replace the car because the "ventilated confort sport seats" were just too uncomfortable! I am 6'4" and the seats ended up being too narrow for my size after a drive longer than the nornal "test drive".

Since I already had a SD card with the update and the replacement car also needed a map update, I tried loading it in the new car and it loaded without any problem.

This probably means that someone who has an active map update MyAudi account could share his updated maps.
That sounds like a good reason for a "group buy" *wink wink*
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New to Audi. Just bought a 2016 a4 b8.5 on CPO. When I go to myaudi and then connect services, I only see two icons, neither of which is map updates. Do I need to have a connect subscription to get the map updates?
Old 10-30-2018, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by uddiver1979
New to Audi. Just bought a 2016 a4 b8.5 on CPO. When I go to myaudi and then connect services, I only see two icons, neither of which is map updates. Do I need to have a connect subscription to get the map updates?
In the exact same boat here. I called Audi USA and they sent me a new sim card free of charge, telling me that the one that came with the vehicle could only be used by the prior owner. I haven't set up Audi connect yet, but thinking that maybe doing so will allow a map update.
Old 01-19-2020, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi i have had a problem audi a4 2017 before i had an update on my car but lately there are none but i want to ask if anyone wants to send their update so i can update it in the car it would really mean a lot to me i don't understand this sometimes these navigation systems
Old 01-19-2020, 01:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi i have had a problem audi a4 2017 before i had an update on my car but lately there are none but i want to ask if anyone wants to send their update so i can update it in the car it would really mean a lot to me i don't understand this sometimes these navigation systems
Old 01-17-2021, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So reviving this conversation a bit, but is it me or would it not just be more cost effective to purchase one of the Android/Carplay adapter kits (RSNAV, etc...) and use one of the multitude of available navigation apps from your phone on your screen rather than paying perpetual update fees at ridiculous costs? Am I missing something? I am looking into buying a 2014 Q5 Prestige - the current owner has kept up with the Audi Connect subscription to maintain wifi, but I will not have a need for that service as our phone's data plan is more than sufficient, and cannot imagine paying any fee just to keep navigation enabled on something I already have on my phone, or that could be sent to my car's screen for $300 and an hour or so worth of work...
Old 01-17-2021, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I use Waze over Android Auto 100% of the time. I find it much more accurate than the stock nav. I haven't even bothered to update the maps for the stock nav. I do appreciate the fact that I could use the stock nav if I were in an area without sufficient cell service, but so far it has not been an issue.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I don't have Audi connect but enter destination in MMI. I have the option to view the map on virtual cockpit.
Then connect phone to car and use Waze in MMI without entering destination.

This way, I get turn-by-turn in virtual cockpit and head-up display plus traffic on MMI from Waze. The Waze "police ahead" was really useful recently at a place where I usually go a bit too fast!
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (01-17-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I don't have Audi connect but enter destination in MMI. I have the option to view the map on virtual cockpit.
Then connect phone to car and use Waze in MMI without entering destination.

This way, I get turn-by-turn in virtual cockpit and head-up display plus traffic on MMI from Waze. The Waze "police ahead" was really useful recently at a place where I usually go a bit too fast!
Forgive my ignorance but this seems to apply to cars that have CarPlay/Android Auto built in. I’m referring to cars that have Navi, but no other way to access navigation within the car’s available display(s) - and as I am reading, people are losing some navigation function (or at the very least outdated maps/no traffic updates) without active Audi Connect. I have been out of the Audi game for a few years so still learning the intricacies of the newer tech/features. Seems Audi tries to make it fairly complicated with so many versions/platforms of their MMI.
Old 01-18-2021, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacen Miller
Forgive my ignorance but this seems to apply to cars that have CarPlay/Android Auto built in. I’m referring to cars that have Navi, but no other way to access navigation within the car’s available display(s) - and as I am reading, people are losing some navigation function (or at the very least outdated maps/no traffic updates) without active Audi Connect. I have been out of the Audi game for a few years so still learning the intricacies of the newer tech/features. Seems Audi tries to make it fairly complicated with so many versions/platforms of their MMI.
You cannot compare the MMI in the 2014 Q5 (MK I or B8.5) with the 2017 A4 (B9) or 2020 A4 (B9.5) with the latter two always having CarPlay/AA at least in the US.

You never loose navigation and you can always go to the dealer to get a paid map update installed but if the car did not come with CarPlay/AA, RSNAV is a cost efficient way to get it and forget about OEM NAV and expensive updates.

Quick Reply: Navigation without the Audi connect plan