A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Which oil extractor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by TheTurbanator
Ah sorry, I meant the motorized extractor.
ATPTOOL 12V 60W Oil Change Pump Extractor. It goes by many different names, but they appear to be the same or similar.
Old 07-12-2022, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My own choice is the manual-pump Mityvac 7201, which holds 8 liters.

My first one lasted about 12-14 years, with a couple of caveats:
  • It takes a few minutes (10-15) to vacuum out the old oil. If the oil is too hot (more than about 80C) and you pump too vigorously, you can pull a good enough vacuum to partly collapse the polypropylene reservoir. Even after that, mine worked fine for several years.
  • The rubber stopper that seals the chamber over years tended to swell with oil exposure. Store it open with the stopper dry.
  • The pump seals eventually got a little swollen as well, making it stiff to use. Not a big deal.
Niggling complaints apart, when I decided to buy a replacement pump recently I got the same thing.

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-12-2022, 06:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I’ve read elsewhere on this forum, that folks are having trouble extracting 100% of the oil on the 2019 A4. Has anyone had success extracting from the 2019?
thanks!
Old 12-12-2022, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 2019 A4 allroad and use the Schwaben 6.5 Liter Extractor with the 1/4" OD tube:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../011885sch01a/

The tube is pretty stiff. The first time I used it, I didn't push it all the way to bottom of the oil sump and left about 1/2 quart in the engine. There are two points of resistance when inserting the oil extraction tube. The first is easy to push past, but the second one has much more resistance - enough that it feels like a firm stop. With enough force you can get the tube inserted a couple more inches, and after I did that I was able to extract all of the oil with the vehicle parked on level ground.
Old 12-14-2022, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Has anyone tried the ECS/Schwaben extractor that is powered by a compressor? The price is about the same and I have a compressor in the garage.
Old 12-15-2022, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

I got the manual ECS Schwaben 6.5L one on sale for $48 a couple years ago, and it works great -- I just wish it was larger so I didn't have to empty it in the middle of extracting the oil on my S4
Old 12-17-2022, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I've been using a Pela PL-6000 extractor for over 4 years. I t's been trouble free and works great. Currently $62 at Amazon.
Old 12-18-2022, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooselook
I’ve read elsewhere on this forum, that folks are having trouble extracting 100% of the oil on the 2019 A4. Has anyone had success extracting from the 2019?
thanks!
with the dip stick opening being in the front of the motor, I noticed that if reverse into my garage before suctioning the oil, I get more out. The garage has a slight 4-5 degree slope which then slightly “tilts” the car and help get all the oil out. Been doing it this way for the last 40k miles every 5k.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this accurate for 2023/4 S5 as well? Pretty straight forward without getting under the car.

Where can you get the right OEM oil and filter? Will WV be less expensive?
Old 01-14-2024, 02:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kamabazi
Is this accurate for 2023/4 S5 as well? Pretty straight forward without getting under the car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z208QipMzwA

Where can you get the right OEM oil and filter? Will WV be less expensive?
Should be the same procedure from 2021 to current B9 models, as far as I know. Only thing I noticed is that he used a socket in inches; I bought one in metric (just a few dollars at Harbor Freight).

Can get the oil and filter at an Audi dealer or VW dealer--price depends on the dealer/location. Can also get it from online sources:
ecstuning.com
fcpeuro.com
I'm sure there are others as well.

Ordering online, a couple of things to keep in mind:
1. ecstuning lists my car (2021 A5) as requiring 5w-40 oil; this is incorrect, since that's 502 and my car takes 0w-20 508. I messaged them about it, and it sounds like they have a difference of opinion of what oil they think is best for the 2.0 TFSI. So if you want to stay with OEM recommendation, stay with what's listed in your car. (I also had a VW parts desk ask me once what weight of 508 I wanted--I thought all 508 was 0w-20, but he said he had a couple different weights.)
2. fcpeuro considers oil and oil filter you buy from them to be under warranty. I haven't bought from them, but as I understand it, if you buy from them, the next time you buy oil & filter from them, you can package up the old oil & filter, pay for shipping back to them, and they refund the cost of the replacement oil and filter. Sounds too good to be true, but worthwhile checking out. https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
3. The pre-selected oil change kits include a drain plug, which you don't need if you extract from the top ($4-5). And one of them also includes an oil change sticker ($3), which you hopefully don't need in a car with a computer that will tell you when oil change is due. So compare the price of the kit with ordering oil/filter separately as you put them in your checkout cart. The kit may be more expensive.

I would keep the receipts of oil/filter in case there are any warranty issues, so you can prove what you used and when you did it. I also took a photo when I did it--has the date and time in the metadata.

Last edited by 2DaLab; 01-14-2024 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Which oil extractor?