A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

perspective A4 buyer, would love some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VM
Are there any cars matching that description in inventory? Blue, grey interior, MT, and a sport plus package (if that can be combined with the grey interior?) strikes me as something that would be very rare... and I believe it's too late to order a 2018. So 2019 it might have to be...
There is a car that matches on color and MT, but not other things. Sports plus isn't on my list. I like the thought of improved steering and I have given some consideration to 19" wheels but since ruled them out as winter and potholes talked me out of them.. And the other things in that package don't tickle my fancy.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! Your number one dislike is why I still prefer a MT.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AidanHadley
I think you meant to write that you're a 'prospective' A4 buyer. Perspective is what you're looking for. ;-)

My apologies in advance for the pedantry. I paid a lot for my English degree and as such I need to get my money's worth by exercising it once in a while. Plus, it's completely plausible that Audi owners are precise and meticulous. At least this one is.
No worries, I actually appreciate the heads up. If I was walking around with chive stuck in my teeth I'm the kind of guy that would appreciate somebody letting me know.
Old 05-08-2018, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SchwarzS6
Even if you do not renew you will not lose Navigation. You will lose the live traffic and the Google Earth overlay. I believe this is the case whether or not you have VC.
You are absolutely correct on that, I should have been more clear. The standard map just looks plain and dated to me while the Google Earth overlay is very cool. My father in law was really impressed when he saw that on the VC screen. I just realized I use Apple Maps through Carplay more (not as good as Google Maps but a lot more convenient to use) so I decided against renewal.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iisabrane
You are absolutely correct on that, I should have been more clear. The standard map just looks plain and dated to me while the Google Earth overlay is very cool. My father in law was really impressed when he saw that on the VC screen. I just realized I use Apple Maps through Carplay more (not as good as Google Maps but a lot more convenient to use) so I decided against renewal.
I prefer the standard map because you get the awesome 3-D view with the buildings all popped up, whereas the Google Earth view is completely flat and so cluttered that it's harder to follow.
Old 05-08-2018, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, fwiw, this is my opinion after owning a 2017 A4 P+ for about 20 months. If I was to do it again, and I may very well, I would just get the Prestige with the Cold Weather Package and maybe the Black effects package with the 18 inch tires. The price isn’t that much more and I think it is well worth it.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CKPW
I'm considering purchasing a new A4 ( Premium Plus, Manual, Scuba/Rock Gray) and I'm stuck on a few issues and welcome all comments and opinions.

Virtual cockpit vs 7" color display- No doubt VC is one of the cooler things I have seen in a car in a long while. I know there is the Google Earth issue in '20 so unless anyone has a crystal ball we'll put that aside for now (IMHO it goes away permanently) I'm more interested in what the 7" color driver information actually provides in way of information? I think in a perfect world I'd be able to have the 8.3 display w/o having the VC/Nav upcharge.

18 vs 19 wheels- Summer tires on the 19 is a PITA, but from a handling standpoint is the prospect of having to change tires twice a year worth it? Durability of the two sizes vs potholes or other road hazards? I have 17's on my 03 330i and I feel like those get beat up already by large pothole. We have good to decent roads for the most part but every now again there are hazards that make me think I might have bent a rim...that being in context for the above.

Dynamic steering- What's the benefit and is it available as a stand alone option that I can installed after purchase? I realty don't like the other elements of the package.

I'd love to hear about what you think I might be missing, your pet peeves with the car or things that may have unexpectedly made you smile from ear to ear.

Thanks, Chris
I think you may end up having to order your car as MT and scuba blue are both hard to come by on the lots.
The VC is all about the wow factor, and provides minimal functional gain over standard instrument cluster from what I can tell in the owner's manual. On the other hand, I would always opt for the 8.3" over the 7".
I have the sport pkg with the standard 18" and I'm satisfied with the balance between ride height, appearance, handling, and comfort.
From what I can see, dynamic steering appears on the order guide as only an option for sport plus pkg but I doubt it adds that much as the standard steering feel is acceptable in terms of adaptation to speed.

Pet peeve is applicable only to prestige in regards to the top view camera option resetting after each drive. Otherwise the car is a great blend between performance and comfort but you probably gathered that from your test drives. If you choose to chip your car or even use one of the power modules, the performance per $ gets even better.

Good luck!
Old 05-10-2018, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm going to muck it up a bit and suggest you get the Driver Assistance Package. You can only get it on Prestige with '17s and '18s so the VC question is a moot point. While I certainly enjoy VC, HUD and the great audio system that came with Prestige, I would have been OK without them if I could have had the DAP on P or P+.

I consider the DAP to be one of the most important safety developments since Stability Control.
Old 05-10-2018, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MDAudi
I'm going to muck it up a bit and suggest you get the Driver Assistance Package. You can only get it on Prestige with '17s and '18s so the VC question is a moot point. While I certainly enjoy VC, HUD and the great audio system that came with Prestige, I would have been OK without them if I could have had the DAP on P or P+.

I consider the DAP to be one of the most important safety developments since Stability Control.
How well does traffic jam assist work with the manual transmission?
Old 05-11-2018, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml

How well does traffic jam assist work with the manual transmission?
It doesn't--Traffic Jam Assist is not available with the Driver Assistance Package in a manual transmission. But you get everything else, and it is wonderful. The Adaptive Cruise Control makes highway driving in even light traffic much less taxing. Side Assist (blind spot monitoring) and Active Lane Assist are helpful as well.

Going forward, I will never buy a car without DAP features. My guess is that, like stability control and backup cameras, they will become standard in a few years,. But for now you have to pay extra.

For me, the DAP is worth it. And if you get the automatic transmission, you get the added bonus of Traffic Jam Assist, which is awesome--but not awesome enough for me to give up the manual transmission!

Last edited by MDAudi; 05-11-2018 at 05:58 PM.

Quick Reply: perspective A4 buyer, would love some help