A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Piano Black Inlay scratches and swirls

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

And now they have made piano black standard for the center console in the mid-cycle refresh. IMO, it looks cheap, few people like it, and it holds up poorly. What are they thinking?
Old 05-15-2019, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

They're adding another item to the list for the owner's OCD to kick in and start thinking about new car, "Damn my interior is all in scratches, time to upgrade". I do not know anyone who likes glossy plastic. People either hate it, or indifferent about it. The latter is usually indifferent just about anything.
Old 05-29-2019, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxerBoi76
Going to attempt to get the scratches and swirls out myself using Meguiar’s ScratchX
Wow! I spent ten or so minutes taping (3M’s 18mm green automotive tape) and then using Meguiar’s PlastX (was going to use ScratchX but everyone said to use PlastX instead) on my piano black trim in the console area and the results were far better than I expected.

I purchased the car new in April and it had only 3 miles on it but a bunch of light scratches you could see when the light hit them right on the black trim and I was vacuuming the floors previously and pulled the hose over to the other side and added a few more! Arghh, won’t do that again. Thankfully, all but two small scratches are gone now. I’m going to tackle those this weekend and based on this experience, expect those to be gone as well.

Last edited by BoxerBoi76; 05-29-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! I spent ten or so minutes taping (3M’s 18mm green automotive tape) and then using Meguiar’s PlastX (was going to use ScratchX but everyone said to use PlastX instead) on my piano black trim in the console area and the results were far better than I expected.

I purchased the car new in April and it had only 3 miles on it but a bunch of light scratches you could see when the light hit them right on the black trim and I was vacuuming the floors previously and pulled the hose over to the other side and added a few more! Arghh, won’t do that again. Thankfully, all but two small scratches are gone now. I’m going to tackle those this weekend and based on this experience, expect those to be gone as well.

Can you explain how you buffed it? Did you do it by hand or with a machine?
Old 05-30-2019, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Can you explain how you buffed it? Did you do it by hand or with a machine?
By hand using a microfiber wax pad - I put about a nickels worth of PlastX on the pad, folded the pad on itself (in half) to spread the PlastX, then applied in circular motions with moderate pressure until the PlastX disappeared on the inlay. I then applied the remaining from the pad (where I had folded it over) using the same circular motion until it disappeared. I then cleaned it up using a microfiber towel.

I was nervous about doing it but it was easier than I thought it would be.

Note: my scratches couldn’t be felt with a finger nail and were light but noticeable nonetheless. If you have deeper scratches, you’ll probably need a mechanical tool to assist in removing the scratch.

Last edited by BoxerBoi76; 05-30-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by adg44
I'd take a soft swirl mark remover and a foam applicator pad and lightly and sparingly try and buff the inlay. Something like 3M Swirl Mark Remover for dark paints or Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover. You could also try some Mothers Plastic Polish as that is very gentle and could also work.

You don't want to get any of this on the dash, so I'd also tape off the dash, and again, a very small amount should be used.
I second Meguiars #9 swirl mark remover.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

By hand using a microfiber wax pad - I put about a nickels worth of PlastX on the pad, folded the pad on itself (in half) to spread the PlastX, then applied in circular motions with moderate pressure until the PlastX disappeared on the inlay. I then applied the remaining from the pad (where I had folded it over) using the same circular motion until it disappeared. I then cleaned it up using a microfiber towel.

I was nervous about doing it but it was easier than I thought it would be.

Note: my scratches couldn’t be felt with a finger nail and were light but noticeable nonetheless. If you have deeper scratches, you’ll probably need a mechanical tool to assist in removing the scratch.
Took another 10 minutes and successfully removed all remaining scratches from the piano black inlay!

PlastX works wonders!
Old 07-07-2019, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Finally decided to experiment with polishing my black optics inlays... my scratches were very bad from when I bought it as CPO. M105 on orange pad followed by m205 on a black pad. Very happy with the results. Will slowly get the rest of them polished.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by vkamnyev

Finally decided to experiment with polishing my black optics inlays... my scratches were very bad from when I bought it as CPO. M105 on orange pad followed by m205 on a black pad. Very happy with the results. Will slowly get the rest of them polished.
Wow! Great results man.

I got similar results with mine using PlastX. Have you found anything we can use to protect/seal the finish?

Something that can resist scratching perhaps?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I was told to use wax. I haven't done so yet but wonder if that's a good idea?

Quick Reply: Piano Black Inlay scratches and swirls