A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

questions about Audi Care package verbiage

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by A4Nash
I have my 5yr/50k audicare scheduled next week. I only have 38k miles, but it will be 5 years of ownership. To me, it's really important to note these intervals, similar to the warranty, are based on "whatever comes first". Things like brake fluid that break down and absorb water lean to a more time-based approach, and I didn't want to mess with between interval oil changes. I also wanted all of my first 4 service visits in under warranty, as like many others I had several issues with the thermostat housing. I was able to call things out just prior to the 4 year warranty expiration.
Congratulations on using "brake" and "break" properly.
The following users liked this post:
Aviator6 (07-03-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 07:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
@sandune Thanks for the reply! I'm still kind of on the fence about this one. I made up a spreadsheet projecting my mileage and months starting from now (28k miles and 34 months), assuming 8k miles per year. Based on that, I'll hit 30k miles at 37 months; 40k at 52 months; 50k at 67 months; and 60k at 82 months; all of which are I believe within the time allowance for the package. (That's with borrowing the time expirations from the 40k-50k and 50k-60k packages.)

OTOH if I do continue at 8k/year and stick to every 12 months, then I'll be doing the 50k service at 44k actual miles, which kinda feels like Id be using up the package unnecessarily early.
(Hmm, but on the other-other hand, at 44k the car would still be well within warranty at the time of the 50k service, which might(?) dissuade a shady dealer service from not calling out problems that they hope will become profitable repair work just after the car goes out of warranty. (Yes, I'm wearing a bit of a tin foil hat there.)

Another approach I'm also considering is doing the 30k now (at 28k miles but 12 months since the 20k service), and then getting back on my own "half-interval" oil change schedule around 34k miles, then doing the 40k at actual 40k miles. This route would be based on the assumption that my mileage per year will increase soon if I resume commuting for work. Or I just go joyriding more (which if I get the car tuned will be easy to do)

I also need to look up the service schedule and see what else besides oil changes occurs at the 30/40/50k's. I know there's some important transmission related stuff in there...

I really don't think you'd have anything to lose or need to worry about using up your package unnecessarily by bringing it in for service based on time. It is just a whichever occurs first. So even as you begin to drive more, the mileage may eventually become the reason to service it instead of being time based.

One thing for certain, if you ignore the time and never really drive too much in the coming years, you will absolutely run out of "care" and certainly will not take full advantage of what the program will offer you after the 48 months have passed (If you have 48 months of Audi Care).