A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Regular vs Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not rely on other's opinions about seats when it comes to back issues. Everyone's body is different and aches from different causes. Test out everything and ask for longer test drives. For what it's worth, the new A4 seats are gathering very positive comments from professional reviewers. So is the current Lexus IS seats.
Old 10-09-2016, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also note that the quality of the leather in the sport seats differs from the regular seats. I found the texture in the regular seats to be rough when compared to the sport seats.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:26 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave W
I think the Sport seats in my B9 are about the most comfortable car seats I have ever had. They are firm but still supple, have supportive bolsters, have great movable thigh extensions, plus the power lumbar gives me nice support even though I like to sit down in the seat a little. I test drove a car with the standard seats and they were pretty good too, but the Sport seats were a major part of why I insisted on the Sports Package for my B9.

But hey, this is just me and someone else may come to a completely different conclusion.

Here is a pic of my Sport Package seats.
Thanks for the comments!

I have to admit, that is not the color I would have chosen for my interior, but I think it looks really great anyway!

Enjoy your new car!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:36 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is a good point. I need to find a way to test this a bit more.

When I bought my current 2013 model, I think no seat option on A4 had thigh extension and I don't remember many other cars I tested having it either.

It could be partially why the A7 comfort seats felt so great (I remember moving the extension there forwards).

A good lumbar support does however help for me, and for instance the Lexus one did not hit in the right place. I don't remember the details exactly, but I think I could not move it far enough up for me.

I have a fairly long back (I am 178 cm, my sister is 172, her legs are longer than mine...) and Audi lumbar support had more room for height adjustment than both BMW and Lexus had.

I actually tend to move the lumbar support around a bit once I drive more than 1-2 hours. Gets bad no matter what I do if I cannot shift the position a bit.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-10-2016, 02:54 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by plat27265
While it is perfectly alright to seek Owners' opinions and thoughts on seats and seat comfort, it is still best to find out what seat works for you. Here's a perfect example. I used to be an active member of the GOLFMKVI forums when I owned my GTI. Most members were raving about the GTI seats. There were a few members who bought the car based on everyone's feedback and ended up hating the seats because they found them uncomfortable or it gave them backaches. It turns out, some of those who eventually complained about seat comfort has a case of slipped disk and pinched nerves in their spinal columns. Some just dislike the seat so much that they swapped seats with Owners who have regular Golf seats.

It is best to try the car and its seats to your heart's content before making a purchase decision. If you need to take it for a longer drive through traffic or freeway, I am sure you can get your dealer to either allow you to take home the demo car or take it for a long demo drive.
Thanks,

I definitely agree that the seat needs to be tested.
For me, I need at least a 3 hour drive.

My current Audi shop will definitely let me borrow one as well. I already had an A4 with standard seats overnight for testing.

Problem is, he right now have no demo models with sports seats that I could test at all. The one I did get to test sit for a few minutes, I actually think was under preparation for delivery to a customer.

There are lots of Audi dealers (both Audi official ones and private) in the monster city of Tokyo so I guess I will find one with the right demo car if I just go looking.

Just thought I would get peoples opinion before I started visiting other shops to see if it would be worth the hassle.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:56 AM
tnm
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Eric5273
I have a bad back as well, and I think the sport seats are much better than the regular seats mainly because of the thigh extension. It really helps your lower back on longer trips.

However, everyone who has a bad back is slightly different. For example, I hear many people talk about how important lumbar support is. But I don't notice much of a difference either way with lumbar. It's more in the thighs and legs where I notice it -- if the seat bottom is too short, it is uncomfortable for me.
That is a good point. I need to find a way to test this a bit more.

When I bought my current 2013 model, I think no seat option on A4 had thigh extension and I don't remember many other cars I tested having it either.

It could be partially why the A7 comfort seats felt so great (I remember moving the extension there forwards).

A good lumbar support does however help for me, and for instance the Lexus one did not hit in the right place. I don't remember the details exactly, but I think I could not move it far enough up for me.

I have a fairly long back (I am 178 cm, my sister is 172, her legs are longer than mine...) and Audi lumbar support had more room for height adjustment than both BMW and Lexus had.

I actually tend to move the lumbar support around a bit once I drive more than 1-2 hours. Gets bad no matter what I do if I cannot shift the position a bit.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-10-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tnm
Thanks,

There are lots of Audi dealers (both Audi official ones and private) in the monster city of Tokyo so I guess I will find one with the right demo car if I just go looking.

Just thought I would get peoples opinion before I started visiting other shops to see if it would be worth the hassle.
You're in Tokyo! That explains why you're having a hard time looking for the right demo car. Audi does not sell a whole lot of imports compared to local brands and they don't stock as much A4's as, say, a typical American Audi dealer. Yes, I agree with you that you have to visit some more local Audi dealers to find a demo unit with the sport seats. Maybe ask your dealer to find out which other dealer has it? I think there's a universal database that allows Audi dealers to find out what other dealers have in their stock.
Old 11-07-2016, 12:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've been torn over the decision to get the normal seats over the sport seats with ventilation on my B9 allroad that's on order. I was disappointed that they just don't offer the sport seats in the Atlas Beige color I wanted for the interior. It's baffling to me that the beige sport seats (granted, w/o ventilation) are available on the UK configurator. I figured I'd get the normal seats and just see if they worked out before spending the extra money on an interior color I didn't really want. The standard seats have got to be better than my 99 Accord velour seats. But I'd love to have lumbar support as an option.

That being said, is it realistic to expect OEM options to get the beige sport seats later? I'm guessing the B9 platform is interchangeable between the sedan and allroad flavors, so those seats should exist somewhere. Anyone have experience with buying OEM seats for their car from the European market?
Old 11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by _SlugBug_
I've been torn over the decision to get the normal seats over the sport seats with ventilation on my B9 allroad that's on order. I was disappointed that they just don't offer the sport seats in the Atlas Beige color I wanted for the interior. It's baffling to me that the beige sport seats (granted, w/o ventilation) are available on the UK configurator. I figured I'd get the normal seats and just see if they worked out before spending the extra money on an interior color I didn't really want. The standard seats have got to be better than my 99 Accord velour seats. But I'd love to have lumbar support as an option.

That being said, is it realistic to expect OEM options to get the beige sport seats later? I'm guessing the B9 platform is interchangeable between the sedan and allroad flavors, so those seats should exist somewhere. Anyone have experience with buying OEM seats for their car from the European market?
If you can find someone to swap seats with and shipping is reasonable and you have a good mechanic or are up to the task yourself (I sure am not) then it may be reasonable. But I'm willing to bet buying them outright from a dealer would be very, very expensive.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by _SlugBug_

Honestly, it isn't realistic. Sport seats don't typically come in beige because that isn't considered a "sporty" color. I would bet on black, gray or brown. Audi typically only offers beige in standard trim.

Quick Reply: Regular vs Sport Seats