A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Roof Console Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator6
I don't think that this is what the OP is referring to. It appears to be the cover directly above the mirror. What I, and I believe the OP are referring to is this:
Hello Guys want to remove this part as well... any info on how to pull it out?
Old 02-28-2018, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those still looking for info I found the attached

Hope it helps!
Attached Thumbnails Roof Console Removal?-screenshot_20180111_174711_25f5e95251cf71688ac0e698320ab88c3997c6c2.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
ctaylor1664 (05-08-2021)
Old 02-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also want to remove this console, I already tried removing it. I had to apply a ton of force and it still would not pop off, I was afraid i would break it or some piece so I stopped.
Old 03-10-2018, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I got it!

If you look at the attached photo, the only tight clip is the in the center on the side closest to the windscreen. I found the area behind lights at the front (red arrow) is a very sturdy area you can pry down with a trim removal tool. It does require quite a bit of force but the console panel is very solid. I would be more wary of the roof lining. Pull/Pry down but do your best to not put to much pressure on the roof lining.

I ended up pulling down using a tool from the left side while supporting the right side and gently pulling down with my hand.

Good luck! Let me know if you need more info.
Attached Thumbnails Roof Console Removal?-20180310_213215.jpg  

Last edited by woebags; 03-12-2018 at 01:26 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by woebags
If you look at the attached photo, the only tight clip is the in the center on the side closest to the windscreen. I found the area behind lights at the front (red arrow) is a very sturdy area you can pry down with a trim removal tool. It does require quite a bit of force but the console panel is very solid. I would be more wary of the roof lining. Pull/Pry down but do your best to not put to much pressure on the roof lining.

I ended up pulling down using a tool from the left side while supporting the right side and gently pulling down with my hand.

Good luck! Let me know if you need more info.
I am trying to remove this console as well. Do you think I can insert the credit card to each side of the metal clip and pull the the console near the windshield with the trim tool, so that the center metal clip can be released?

Is the center connector controlling the sunroof? I want to tap the dashcam wires there.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mazinger

I am trying to remove this console as well. Do you think I can insert the credit card to each side of the metal clip and pull the the console near the windshield with the trim tool, so that the center metal clip can be released?

Is the center connector controlling the sunroof? I want to tap the dashcam wires there.
I was doing this to tap into power for my Radar Detector. So basically for the same purpose.

I'm not sure, if credit cards will work. The clips are really quite tight so you may need to use something sturdier than credit cards. I ended up buying a set of trim removal tools form Amazon (about $10), and using the one that looked like a small crowbar. If you can get to the Metal Clip and just pull down you should be fine. But it is VERY tight so you will likely need to pull pretty hard.
It was a little daunting the first time. The actual frame of the console piece is very sturdy, so as long as you find part of the frame to pull on you should be fine.

Old 03-15-2019, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was doing this to tap into power for my Radar Detector. So basically for the same purpose.

I'm not sure, if credit cards will work. The clips are really quite tight so you may need to use something sturdier than credit cards. I ended up buying a set of trim removal tools form Amazon (about $10), and using the one that looked like a small crowbar. If you can get to the Metal Clip and just pull down you should be fine. But it is VERY tight so you will likely need to pull pretty hard.
It was a little daunting the first time. The actual frame of the console piece is very sturdy, so as long as you find part of the frame to pull on you should be fine.
i just tried again and still did not work.

i placed each side of the metal clip with credit card, then I used the wedge tool crowbar which was about 2 1/2 wide and inserted to the center of the console and tried to pull it out but no success.

When you inserted your crowbar tool, did you pull to the plastic area near the center metal clip?

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mazinger

i just tried again and still did not work.

i placed each side of the metal clip with credit card, then I used the wedge tool crowbar which was about 2 1/2 wide and inserted to the center of the console and tried to pull it out but no success.

When you inserted your crowbar tool, did you pull to the plastic area near the center metal clip?

Thanks.
sorry my last post may have been confusing.

I pulled down on the area with the red arrow in my picture. While pulling down on the opposite side with my fingers.

The middle clip will come out.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

sorry my last post may have been confusing.

I pulled down on the area with the red arrow in my picture. While pulling down on the opposite side with my fingers.

The middle clip will come out.
Thanks.

I just tried a couple of times using your method. The console was so tight, I pry out one end near the map light with the crow bar tool and inserted one more edge tool to the opposite end. However, I still could not get it out. I am so afraid the trim will break if I tried to force it out.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Sorry to revive an old thread, but figured this info could be useful to some as documentation is completely different. I finally decided to squash the nasty rattle and went to remove this thing with the proper Audi tool. Instead of 1 side clip, I had 4! 2 on each side. I have a 2018 model with July 2017 production date.

Quick Reply: Roof Console Removal?