A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Silent danger

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 02:27 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently took my car to dealer I realized the did some coding and tune. Cars transmission seemed flawless and didn’t feel like a dual clutch anymore but I also notice when I put the car in park the engine shuts off with start stop but if you don’t move it in 10 sec it completely shuts off.
new update maybe is out for all.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Stories like this and others are why I have 2x CO detectors on every floor of the house, one of them is inside house adjacent to attached garage. The story that really caught my attention was regarding "Weird Al" Yankovic's Parents death from CO poisoning.

I have OEM remote start on my Mazda CX-9, and I've occasionally accidentally turned it on with keys in my pocket while sitting down, etc.. It shuts off after 10 minutes, but not good situation.
The following users liked this post:
A4Driver (06-21-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Var
I recently took my car to dealer I realized the did some coding and tune. Cars transmission seemed flawless and didn’t feel like a dual clutch anymore but I also notice when I put the car in park the engine shuts off with start stop but if you don’t move it in 10 sec it completely shuts off.
new update maybe is out for all.
This sounds like a thread subject in itself - stuff getting reprogrammed by the dealer that they dont tell you about and which changes your car's behavior in ways you don't necessarily want. This actually scares the heck out of me. For example I consider it very fortunate (and surprising) that "S" mode implicitly disables the auto-stop-start, but it would be very easy for Audi to undo that. (And considering some of the other attributes the car already has, in the name of fuel economy, e.g. laggy throttle, the silly "green foot" dashboard icon), there would certainly be incentive.)
Regarding the transmission feel, maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "doesnt feel like DCT", but if I drove off after an oil change and found my car feeling like a slushy torque converter car Id be furious.

Originally Posted by djc6
I have OEM remote start on my Mazda CX-9, and I've occasionally accidentally turned it on with keys in my pocket while sitting down, etc.. It shuts off after 10 minutes, but not good situation.
I find it very surprising that remote starters are allowed to be an OE thing, given the economy-minded things going into cars now.

Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; 06-23-2019 at 08:57 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by SkiingInABlueDream
I find it very surprising that remote starters are allowed to be an OE thing, given the economy-minded things going into cars now.
You would be surprised how much Audi was blasted on surveys(JD Power, Consumer Reports etc.) because it didnt come with remote start. I even lost a couple sales to customers who refused to buy the Audi because they could buy a different brand that offered it from the factory as opposed to aftermarket. Maybe Im jaded because I have a garage, but even when I didnt, it only takes a few minutes to clear snow or ice from the windows, you dont need to let the car sit running for 15 minutes to do that.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
You would be surprised how much Audi was blasted on surveys(JD Power, Consumer Reports etc.) because it didnt come with remote start. I even lost a couple sales to customers who refused to buy the Audi because they could buy a different brand that offered it from the factory as opposed to aftermarket. Maybe Im jaded because I have a garage, but even when I didnt, it only takes a few minutes to clear snow or ice from the windows, you dont need to let the car sit running for 15 minutes to do that.
I park in a garage too but I agree with you, it only takes a couple minutes to warm up a car. I never understood the appeal of remote start.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by guy_incognito
I park in a garage too but I agree with you, it only takes a couple minutes to warm up a car. I never understood the appeal of remote start.
Not only that, but the car actually heats up faster in a couple minutes when put under load than, like I said, idling for 15 minutes in the driveway.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Having spent 1 winter the A4 now, I've been amazed at how quickly the car gets warm. By "get warm" I mean how quickly I perceive warmth in the cabin. The seat heater is pretty immediate but even the HVAC is quick to get warm.

I would completely support legislation banning remote starters.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yeah I’ve noticed a considerable difference between my A4 and Toyota RAV4. The Toyota took at least 15 minutes to warm up when driving to actually feel some heat come out of the cabin. The A4 literally heats up in like under 3 minutes, no joke.

Im sure German cars are designed to heat up this fast because idling is illegal in Europe. I don’t need a car starter anymore imo
Old 06-24-2019, 03:23 PM
VM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by JDA_yeg
Yeah I’ve noticed a considerable difference between my A4 and Toyota RAV4. The Toyota took at least 15 minutes to warm up when driving to actually feel some heat come out of the cabin. The A4 literally heats up in like under 3 minutes, no joke.

Im sure German cars are designed to heat up this fast because idling is illegal in Europe. I don’t need a car starter anymore imo
The A4 heats up shockingly fast because it has an integrated exhaust manifold, I think...

One thing that's worth noting - it only heats up fast under load. If you start up the car on a parking lot hoping to get some heat to unstick some ice, then... ouch. Not pretty.