A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Steering Issue

Hey folks, just wondering if any of you fine people have had any issues with their steering? Lately mine seems to be "heavy"...almost like standard steering. something just seems off. My warranty is up so I'm coming here first before going to the 'stealership' hoping for some insight. I searched the forums for similar topics but couldn't find anything specific to the B9 A4. It's not the drive select (auto, comfort, dynamic etc)...as I've tried each and it all feels the same. Read somewhere that it jus may need lubrication, but thought I'd try here first. Thanks in advance. P.S. Car is a 2017 A4 Quattro Progressiv
The following users liked this post:
Bernad (03-26-2020)
Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 AM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you done the usual checks before taking in to Audi?

-Tire Pressure
-Tire condition
-Any noises while turning the wheel?
Old 03-18-2020, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Tire pressure is correct and the tires are brand new...only purchased last week. No noise when turning the steering wheel.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper33
Hey folks, just wondering if any of you fine people have had any issues with their steering? Lately mine seems to be "heavy"...almost like standard steering. something just seems off. My warranty is up so I'm coming here first before going to the 'stealership' hoping for some insight. I searched the forums for similar topics but couldn't find anything specific to the B9 A4. It's not the drive select (auto, comfort, dynamic etc)...as I've tried each and it all feels the same. Read somewhere that it jus may need lubrication, but thought I'd try here first. Thanks in advance. P.S. Car is a 2017 A4 Quattro Progressiv
I have had this exact issue and posted on here recently about it. No one seems to have added to that post though. Mine will be fine sometimes and then all of a sudden it will be super stiff while trying to turn, then almost feels like it breaks free. I plan on taking my car to the dealer to get it looked at shortly. My car is out of manufactures warranty, but I still have CPO left. Once I get it to them and have some results hopefully I'll provide some insight.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You mentioned that the tires are new. Did this stiffer steering situation start before or after the new tries were installed? Different tires and treads can make steering feel differently.
Tire pressure could still be an issue. Check it yourself since when the new tires were installed in a heated environment the pressure reading would be different than later on when the car has been outdoors for a period and cooled down. For every drop in F temp the tire pressure drops 1 PSI.
Good luck.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Booked mine in with my dealer for next Tuesday. My service guy said that they have seen steering shaft issues on the B9, so I have a positive feeling it will be something that can be covered under CPO for me.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

This problem started before my new tires but has gotten noticeable worse in the last few days. I will check the tire pressure but I am also going to stop by the 'stealership' tomorrow morning to chat with the service manager. Unfortunately my warranty is expired but maybe...MAYBE if it's a known issue he will take a look at their expense...I know I know...dream a little dream. Good luck Woodsie...please let me/us know the outcome!!!
Old 03-19-2020, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Hopper33
This problem started before my new tires but has gotten noticeable worse in the last few days. I will check the tire pressure but I am also going to stop by the 'stealership' tomorrow morning to chat with the service manager. Unfortunately my warranty is expired but maybe...MAYBE if it's a known issue he will take a look at their expense...I know I know...dream a little dream. Good luck Woodsie...please let me/us know the outcome!!!
Going to the "stealership?" That's where the "saleshole" works, isn't it lol
Hopper33 (03-19-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So this past Thursday I stopped into a local garage with a good rep for dealing with foreign cars. I explained my issue and without hesitation the mechanic suggested I go to the dealership and speak with the service manager directly (said he has encountered others with same issue). So Friday I went to the local dealership and spoke to the service manager in person, explained that my warranty is expired (83150 kms) but hoping that there's something he can do. He tells me about a 'good faith' clause I think it was. Being a repeat customer and having all service performed at the dealership, sometimes Audi Canada will factor all that in and help. The mechanic took my keys and only slightly moved my car before realizing something was amiss. Sure enough it was the steering shaft. The service manager sent off a request to Audi Canada and within an hour they responded...offering to cover $750. Had the car in today and the steering shaft replaced...cost to me $209. Work order stated the shaft was 'binding' up. All is well again. Sorry for the long post but figured I'd include as much information as possible.
Void20 (11-21-2022)
Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Car went in this morning to the dealer. Of course the issue hasn't been happening all week, but after talking with the service rep who said his Q5 was doing the same thing, he suggested I leave it anyway. Got a call about 2 hours later saying they confirmed it was the steering shaft and that they had one in stock and it would be ready by around noon. Given that they have the parts in stock leads me to believe this is a bit of a known issue with the cars that will be popping up now. I had 85,000kms on my car and it was covered under CPO.
Hopper33 (03-24-2020)

Quick Reply: Steering Issue