A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Thanks! Things I learned here about my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know if being on Wifi uses your data to obtain cover art for your songs on your iPhone and the radio?
Old 10-20-2016, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Strife1013
Does anyone know if being on Wifi uses your data to obtain cover art for your songs on your iPhone and the radio?
It will, but those metadata files are so tiny that it wouldn't really put a big dent in it. And FYI when I was on my trial I used 12 GB of data with no issue or cut off.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mitchfin
It will, but those metadata files are so tiny that it wouldn't really put a big dent in it. And FYI when I was on my trial I used 12 GB of data with no issue or cut off.
Would I be able to connect to my wifi at home for faster and free speeds for stuff like updating maps and stuff? I'm trying to get my cover album in apple car play using my iPhone. I plan playing with this whole stuff quite a bit later today when I get home. 0_o or disappear from work for a little bit.... :P
Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Would I be able to connect to my wifi at home for faster and free speeds for stuff like updating maps and stuff? I'm trying to get my cover album in apple car play using my iPhone. I plan playing with this whole stuff quite a bit later today when I get home. 0_o or disappear from work for a little bit.... :P
I bet it's impossible to focus with that new toy waiting for you. I don't think you can connect your car to another access point.
Old 10-20-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What music service do you use?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What music service do you use?
I just want to use my iPhone to use my music with. I was able to get cover art for radio stations but when I use my iPhone in Apple Carplay it doesn't show cover art. It just shows a screen where I can pause it, fast forward, stop it, etc... no options or side buttons to make to shrink down to cover art.

Maybe it has to be used outside of Apple Carplay somehow when it's plugged in? Idk.... I have some messing around to do unless someone knows how to do it here.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by David Shaw
I verified that it's on when the car is not running.

It would not affect the battery really. you could probably charge for months before it caused any issues. Most iPhone chargers are 5 volts and 1.0 amp (up to 2.1 amps for an iPad). Car batteries are 12-14v and 200-1000 amps.
Just be sure not to confuse current capability (to start the engine) (measured in Ampere) with battery capacity (measured in Ah). If the USB is loaded with 1A at 5V that is 5W output. With some converter loss, lets assume 6W is taken from the battery. At 12V that equals 0.5A. 0.5A constant for 24 hours equals 12 Ah. I don't know the B9 battery capacity (in the range of 100Ah maybe when new) but lets assume you don't want to consume more than 50Ah to be sure to have power for starting, then you should not leave it loaded like that for more than 4 days.
(Maybe the B9 power management will turn it off at some other point.)

If you want something, that charges its battery, constantly connected you should instead use the average power consumption (in watts) in the above calculation and also consider how much the car charges the battery when driven.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just want to use my iPhone to use my music with. I was able to get cover art for radio stations but when I use my iPhone in Apple Carplay it doesn't show cover art. It just shows a screen where I can pause it, fast forward, stop it, etc... no options or side buttons to make to shrink down to cover art.

Maybe it has to be used outside of Apple Carplay somehow when it's plugged in? Idk.... I have some messing around to do unless someone knows how to do it here.
If you download tracks for offline listening it will store all that metadata but also CarPlay displays a large blurred album artwork behind the track info and skip/play.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone needs to figure out how to disable the trunk opening button on the key fob, while still maintaining all the other trunk opening functions (auto unlock manual opening, hands free opening). I don't know about anyone else, but this is the most frustrating and scary issue I have with this car.
Old 10-20-2016, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you download tracks for offline listening it will store all that metadata but also CarPlay displays a large blurred album artwork behind the track info and skip/play.
That's what I am getting, I can't have it look like it does on the virtual cockpit or when I have a radio station selected? I don't want a massive screen with a blurred cover art behind the track info and skip/play section.

Also does wifi streaming audio from an iPhone vs using Bluetooth take a data plan or any of my free 6GB of data vs using Apple Carplay.

Looks like this

Want it to look something like this....

Last edited by Strife1013; 10-20-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Thanks! Things I learned here about my car