A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

Turned High Beam Assist on my Premium Plus

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I just got a Next Gen OBDEleven and turned on some features on my Premium Plus. Some questions:
  1. Does High Beam Assist need a dark road to be active? I got the AUTO symbol to appear on my dash after pressing the stalk forward. I have been driving around the city with no traffic in either direction with just street lights. If ambient light needs to be lower then I will have to try it on a dark mountain road.
  2. The app says that Lane Assistant has to be installed for High Beam Assist to work. I installed Lane Assistant and Step 2 app "On without LDS button". I find it intrusive during my commute. It actually steers my car to stay in my lane and I did not install Active Steering. I tried to turn Lane Assistant off in the Step 2 app but it still is working. I don't mind the Lane Assistant lights on my dash but I mind that it is trying to steer for me. Otherwise I would uninstall Lane Assistant and would like to keep High Beam Assist.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

High beam assist is unlikely to turn on the high beams inside town, you'll need it to be fairly dark / edge of town for them to come on. I love this feature, works really well. It switches to normal headlights once it detects another car is coming or if you are coming up on a car going the same direction so you don't blind them.

You don't need Lane Keep Assist activated to make High Beam Assist work.

Try switching Lane Keep Assist to LATE instead of EARLY in MMI. Once I did this, the steering correction became much less frequent and intrusive. If you have it set to LATE and it keeps nudging you into the lane, you are probably a bad driver and you don't know it.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

It is set to Late. LOL, yea you must have a lot of faith in car technology that you blame the driver first. I do not know how traffic is in Olathe KS, but in Los Angeles there are a lot of drivers that like to cut off other cars. I do not have time to signal an evasive maneuver so that I do not get the steering wheel resistance. It also likes to steer on curves with painted lines even though I am centered in the lane. I'll just uninstall Lane Assist since I am an awesome driver
Old 12-02-2019, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CDang
It is set to Late. LOL, yea you must have a lot of faith in car technology that you blame the driver first. I do not know how traffic is in Olathe KS, but in Los Angeles there are a lot of drivers that like to cut off other cars. I do not have time to signal an evasive maneuver so that I do not get the steering wheel resistance. It also likes to steer on curves with painted lines even though I am centered in the lane. I'll just uninstall Lane Assist since I am an awesome driver
I live in the suburbs of Kansas City, which I suppose to anyone in Los Angeles, Kansas City is small-time but I've been to LA at least 20 times so I'm not clueless. Just saying that if you don't drift into the lines the car doesn't try to correct you. And every time I've been to Los Angeles I still signaled when switching lanes...?! But if you don't like it, uninstall it, you can still use auto high beam assist.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts

... The app says that Lane Assistant has to be installed for High Beam Assist to work. I installed Lane Assistant and Step 2 app "On without LDS button". I find it intrusive during my commute. It actually steers my car to stay in my lane and I did not install Active Steering. I tried to turn Lane Assistant off in the Step 2 app but it still is working. I don't mind the Lane Assistant lights on my dash but I mind that it is trying to steer for me. Otherwise I would uninstall Lane Assistant and would like to keep High Beam Assist.
I never installed Lane Assistant on my car, just the High Beam Assist -- which works wonderfully, btw.
Old 12-02-2019, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

The thing I miss the most in my 330i is high beam assist like in the B9. I wish it was code-able in the Bimmer as well. Worked wonderfully well in the A4 B9.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinB656
https://obdeleven.com/

$63. I figured it was best to buy directly from the manufacturer to make sure I got the latest version and to enhance chances of getting tech support if necessary.

Are you using the pro or standard version of OBDEleven? They are on Amazon with next day shipping. In the standard description it says you need the pro license to code?? Thanks everyone for your work on this!!!

Old 01-05-2020, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

You need pro to code. Worth every penny IMO.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a Next Gen OBDEleven and turned on some features on my Premium Plus. Some questions:
  1. Does High Beam Assist need a dark road to be active? I got the AUTO symbol to appear on my dash after pressing the stalk forward. I have been driving around the city with no traffic in either direction with just street lights. If ambient light needs to be lower then I will have to try it on a dark mountain road.
  2. The app says that Lane Assistant has to be installed for High Beam Assist to work. I installed Lane Assistant and Step 2 app "On without LDS button". I find it intrusive during my commute. It actually steers my car to stay in my lane and I did not install Active Steering. I tried to turn Lane Assistant off in the Step 2 app but it still is working. I don't mind the Lane Assistant lights on my dash but I mind that it is trying to steer for me. Otherwise I would uninstall Lane Assistant and would like to keep High Beam Assist.
I like you done both but tried to turn off the lane assist, And like you it still steers the car. I'm guessing we will have to uninstall it to completely to remove it. I also haven't noticed my lights turning on or off as yet.
I'll try driving in a darker place to fully test.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

I turned mine off with the free Step 2 app. Set it to Original. Then if you ever want it back, set it back on in the same app.

I drove on a dark canyon road and the high beam assist works great.

Quick Reply: Turned High Beam Assist on my Premium Plus