A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

When will the B10s come out?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 08:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
The average typical model lifecycle is 7 years before a major redesign occurs. The B9 was delayed, hence it took a little longer. So the earliest you'll see a B10 available for sale will be 2024. But there will be a facelift about three years into the lifecycle. All Germans do midcycle refreshes of their models, so by 2020 we'll most likely see a B9.5. Speculation is that at that point we may see a new interior with the all new MMI from the new A6,7,8.
If they slam a largely updated MMI interior similar to the a6/7/8, those financing the car, like me, would get owned at re-sale. I'm hoping they don't change the interior to the new touch interface. Also, personally, Audi tactile MMI is just such an ease to work, no way taking my eyes of the road to see the touch screen is better than what we currently have...
Old 11-21-2018, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing that the MLB platform is over with the last B9 A4, based on a number of observations, including recent news releases about sharing platforms with Ford. I shudder at the thought.
Old 11-21-2018, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaToSky
I am guessing that the MLB platform is over with the last B9 A4, based on a number of observations, including recent news releases about sharing platforms with Ford. I shudder at the thought.
Given that Ford's tend to handle better and have superior feedback through the controls I would welcome that. However, in looking at this collaboration there is no mention of platforms being shared that I could see.
However it isn't the first time as there was the a collaboration before with people carriers in the 90's...

Last edited by cuke2u; 11-21-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaToSky
Ford has exited passenger car development outside of the Mustang, so I think it is extremely unlikely that Audi will discontinue a platform used by all cars between the A4 and A8 and switch to one developed with Ford.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by munsabin
If they slam a largely updated MMI interior similar to the a6/7/8, those financing the car, like me, would get owned at re-sale. I'm hoping they don't change the interior to the new touch interface. Also, personally, Audi tactile MMI is just such an ease to work, no way taking my eyes of the road to see the touch screen is better than what we currently have...
It's increasingly likely that this will happen. The facelifted Q7 is getting the Q8 interior based on spy shots that have come out just recently, so Audi is not shying away from completely updating the tech/interior for the facelifts. This kind of thing is part of the reason why I generally skip all-new models and wait for the facelift. The facelifts usually have a lot of the initial complaints and issues addressed and get things updated that were already a bit long in the tooth. The B9 came out towards the tail end of the current tech generation. It felt already a bit dated to me.

Originally Posted by JD15
Ford has exited passenger car development outside of the Mustang, so I think it is extremely unlikely that Audi will discontinue a platform used by all cars between the A4 and A8 and switch to one developed with Ford.
That's only in the USA. In Europe, they'll continue making and selling passenger cars. Even though, SUV/CUVs are increasing in popularity in Europe, passenger and smaller cars are still in high demand. Europeans also still buy lots of wagons. The planned collaboration I believe that was disclosed recently I believe is mostly gonna happen in the EV sector. VW has fallen behind and realize to catch up they'll have to partner. What that means for the B10 etc. will be seen. The future is certainly electrification. The B10 will at a minimum be a light hybrid.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's only in the USA. In Europe, they'll continue making and selling passenger cars. Even though, SUV/CUVs are increasing in popularity in Europe, passenger and smaller cars are still in high demand. Europeans also still buy lots of wagons. The planned collaboration I believe that was disclosed recently I believe is mostly gonna happen in the EV sector. VW has fallen behind and realize to catch up they'll have to partner. What that means for the B10 etc. will be seen. The future is certainly electrification. The B10 will at a minimum be a light hybrid.
Thus, it doesn't make sense for Ford to invest in a passenger car platform that would be suitable for A4s, A8s, and even some Bentleys. I can easily believe electric powertrains could be jointly developed, however.