A4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi A4 2017-

WiFi Tethering with Phone / Hotspot

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by clone1008
Could you please post...I was under the assumption that this could only be done on Canadian spec B9s
Yes, please do. I only care about the google maps overlay, so if somehow that still works without an Audi connect plan then thats amazing.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
I have the google earth overlay working without an Audi Connect subscription or tethering through a phone. Forgot what coding I changed to get it to work though. If enough people want a coding dump I can post it up. Btw I'm not sure what exactly would still work even with a data connection without the prime subscription.
please post this. Can you take screenshots of you obd11 5f adaptations and post.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danoarx
I don't have client option there.
Hi Danorax, I was trying to enable Google Earth but stuck on phone tethering: once discover iPhone sharing or my house SSID wifi lan I connect but always have a grayed DATA CONNECTION: IPHONE and google earth fail to load.

After that, when trying to reload it, selection from GOOGLE EARTH goes back to STANDARD. It seems no data exchange from/between phone/wifi and car even though telephone shows that car is connected.

Someone have same problem? Any idea how to solve it?

Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ernesas
Hi Danorax, I was trying to enable Google Earth but stuck on phone tethering: once discover iPhone sharing or my house SSID wifi lan I connect but always have a grayed DATA CONNECTION: IPHONE and google earth fail to load.

After that, when trying to reload it, selection from GOOGLE EARTH goes back to STANDARD. It seems no data exchange from/between phone/wifi and car even though telephone shows that car is connected.

Someone have same problem? Any idea how to solve it?

I've more or less given up on this. I've enabled lots of options on 5F, I get Google maps option, I get an option in the connection manager to enable data ( I'll check when home for exact format), it then gives a screen saying ' start data module' I think. Anyway, nothing happens, like a piece of hardware is missing. On the Audi A6 C7 the post 2015 MMI is really locked down, its not called even MMI anymore on some sources. If you didn't get a unit with a SIM card slot, you are not getting data, end of. The only glimmer of hope is the Wi-Fi AP for WiFi music players, or phone. If only this could be changed to Wi-Fi client, then tether from there. It's useless as is, as your phone connects to it for music, then expects it to supply data, so no internet on phone while playing to MMI. If you set your phone to phone data on in the event of no Wi-Fi data, it won't connect at all. You have to have Audi connect app running on your phone also.

Last edited by deezell; 06-18-2019 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attempted this in 2018 S6, USA... The 5F settings were there in VCDS, was able to access and change them//

adaptation in module 5F

IDE03471-ENG06576-Vehicle configuration-WiFi_Client_HMI - ON
IDE03471-ENG117842-Vehicle configuration-WIFI_Hotspot - ON

However, there is no "Setting" (the gears icon) in MMI, and therefore no way to access the "connection manager"
Old 09-20-2019, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by breadbooze
I have the google earth overlay working without an Audi Connect subscription or tethering through a phone. Forgot what coding I changed to get it to work though. If enough people want a coding dump I can post it up. Btw I'm not sure what exactly would still work even with a data connection without the prime subscription.
Id also love to know how you did that. I wish I still had. The google earth overlay on my car (I had it when I had Audi connect for 6 months). The google earth overlay takes the VC up to a whole new level.
Old 09-23-2019, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've tried this on US spec car. The options appear, but remain unselectable (i.e. cannot scan for WiFi networks).
The following users liked this post:
finnallen1500 (07-06-2021)
Old 09-23-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK. After flipping WiFi_Client_HMI, LTE module needs to be disabled to scan and connect. Looks like only 2.4Ghz is supported, and after turning off LTE module, SOS module(?) stops working too (so no remote door lock/unlock with myAudi app).
The following users liked this post:
Clixt (07-12-2020)
Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DeXel
I've tried this on US spec car. The options appear, but remain unselectable (i.e. cannot scan for WiFi networks).
Did you try it on your ‘17 or ‘19?
Old 09-23-2019, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Did you try it on your ‘17 or ‘19?
2019. 2017 lease ended. As I have active Audi subscription, someone please test whether Google Earth works (2019 has ugly satellite maps ).

Quick Reply: WiFi Tethering with Phone / Hotspot