A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Help! Extremely difficult to shift gears while car is moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Extremely difficult to shift gears while car is moving

Hi,

I'm hoping that somebody knows what is wrong with my 2003 Audi A4 Quattro (5 speed manual. Trans code: GBT).

A few days ago it became very difficult to shift from first into second while the car was moving (it is easy when stationary). Well, I needed to get places so I just skipped second gear and went into third. Well, the next day I can't shift into any gear while the car is moving, unless I perfectly rev-match. it doesn't matter if the car is running or not. If the car isn't moving, running or otherwise, I can shift between all the gears just fine.

I'm pretty sure it isn't the clutch dragging, because I can shift fine while the car is running, just not while moving. So next I thought it was the synchros, but that didn't make much sense to me because the issue started with just 1st to 2nd, and then suddenly all the gears. Maybe that is the problem, I don't know. I've never had a car with bad synchros before. Well, after the car had been sitting for two days, I noticed that there was oil on the road under it. Crap.

So I checked the transmission fluid. It's low. At that point I am actually relieved. This whole problem is just because of a leaking seal, I thought. Hopefully just a drive flange seal that I can change in a few hours. Well, to test if that's the only problem, I filled it up. It took 2qt (and I think it was still a little low, but it was close). I started it up and tried to drive it. No change. Still can't shift while the car is moving (again, unless perfectly rev matched). If I try to force the shifter, it grinds.

What I don't understand is why it still doesn't work now that it has the correct (or close) fluid level (might be wrong fluid. It is 75w-90, but it isn't GL-4). Could the low fluid level have damaged all the synchros that quickly? I mean, it was just shifting into second that had an issue. I get in the car the next day, and the problem is now all of the gears. I don't see how the other synchros could have become damaged while the car was simply sitting there.

Oh and this might be important: The clutch is worn and I need to replace it. It shudders a little when starting off. I wondering if that might be related to the transmission oil leak. As in, the transmission is leaking from the input seal and getting on the clutch, causing it to shudder a little.

I just want to make sure there isn't a simpler issue before I take the transmission off and do an overhaul. I'm planning to replace all the synchros, seals and gaskets. I'm hoping all the bearings are fine. I never heard any bearing noise, anyway.

I don't know if I left anything out. Please ask me all the questions you want. Any input would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could bad shift linkage bushings cause this problem? I see that there are kits from the OEM for about $80 for replacing all the shift linkage bushings.

I'm just hoping that I didn't damage the bearings or shafts in my transmission by running it with low oil. I definitely didn't hear any transmission noise. Still haven't.

I honestly don't know how long it had low oil. There was a pretty big puddle of transmission fluid under the car, so I think that I can safely assume that the leak was fast and sudden.

I've found a company that sells rebuild kits for this transmission: https://jhmotorsports.com/01a-5-spee...rformance.html

So unless somebody can tell me that there is a simpler problem, I'm going to be removing the transmission and rebuilding it in the next month or so.

Also, let me know if you know of a better rebuild kit. Thanks!