A4 Cabriolet (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 Cabriolet

Roof leak at windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Roof leak at windshield?

Got our A4 cabriolet in January and have really been enjoying it as the weather is finally starting to cooperate. However, about a month ago my wife took it to a car wash and the roof leaked on the driver side right at the top of the windshield. Thinking it was maybe a fluke or we didn't put the top completely up, we didn't do anything, but this morning she went back to the car wash and it happened again, this time on BOTH corners of the windshield! I called my dealer who told me the top does leak in these situations due to high pressure water. This didn't sound right, so I called audiusa and they didn't have any reports of this. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Old 04-19-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roof leak at windshield?

High pressure car washes are never a good idea for convertibles of any style. they can infact leak depending on the pressure and direction of the water spray. I do not take my car to the auto car wash for that very reason. I go to a manual spray wash but only use light pressure when eashing the top and when directing it at any top to window connection point. the big test is to see if it leaks during a rain storm. If it does, you have something wrong.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback...it was interesting this morning. I called the dealer who gave me the story. Then I called audiusa. About two hours later I got a call from my dealer (actually the guy who sold me the car) asking me, in general, how things were going. Coincidence? He told me that he's taken those cars thru washes with no problems whatsoever and was skeptical of his own service department's claims.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:34 PM

I think for the most part the cars are supoosed to fair well in car washes but the owners manual warns of washing the top with high pressure.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default carwash pressures

This is a convertable. Even though it's rain tight, storm tight.... is it able to deal with high pressure water jets and high pressure air (drying) at a comercial car wash? Perhaps there is another carwash in your area that could do a better job. In my case, I don't trust auto car washes. A handfull of coins and a little exercise can wash a car much better than a bunch of clods playing bumper cars and smearing your interior with dirty towels. (only speaking from experience with our other car, a VW Golf)