Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 2016 gps issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 885 Likes on 724 Posts

Originally Posted by superswiss
Honestly, it makes perfect sense. Unless I purposely go for a scenic drive or something, I generally wanna arrive at my destination as fast as possible based on the current traffic, so I always use fastest route on any nav I've ever used.
What was the harm in leaving it up to the driver to select the option?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
They may have decided it was confusing to some owners (and no doubt most Audi sales people). For example, I have no idea what the "Mixed" route option is supposed to accomplish. Does it mean that sometimes the computer will get you there directly? Or will it take you on a tour of every neighborhood along your route depending on how it feels that day? The manual, of course, sheds no light on what that option does.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,066 Likes on 741 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I think this is a simple case of removing a feature that very few ever use. One less thing to have to be tested and made bug free. I also have a suspicion that some accidentally had it set to shortest route and then complained about the routes that the nav would generate, causing unnecessary support issues and support costs. I'm curious, under what circumstances would you ever choose shortest route if the shortest route is not necessarily the fastest route?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The main reason I was asking is that tha a6 GPS seems to lag in re routing compared to other car or phone. For example, if I'm want to get on a highway and miss the entrance, it will prompt me to make a u-turn and go back, while other GPS systems will just have me pick up the entrance at the next point. It will eventually reroute this way, but takes a longer time than Waze or Google maps.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

On mine, it will only suggest a U-Turn from a missed interstate entrance if that is quicker than rerouting to another entrance somewhere down the road. Which makes sense to me.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm curious, under what circumstances would you ever choose shortest route if the shortest route is not necessarily the fastest route?
I cannot speak for the OP, but sometimes I do take a shorter route even if I know it takes a bit longer. Reasons:
o I lease and I watch how many miles I am racking up, especially now that I am down to under 4 months left and am only a few thousand miles from $0.25/mile excess mileage charges.
o I lease and do not want to have to get new tires now that I am a few days under 4 months away from the lease termination. I group my chores/trips more than I usually do for this reason as well.
o Sometimes the shorter but more time consuming route has more interesting or peaceful things to see along the way, and I am retired.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Whatever16
The main reason I was asking is that tha a6 GPS seems to lag in re routing compared to other car or phone. For example, if I'm want to get on a highway and miss the entrance, it will prompt me to make a u-turn and go back, while other GPS systems will just have me pick up the entrance at the next point. It will eventually reroute this way, but takes a longer time than Waze or Google maps.
It's not lag. I think Waze and Google maps just avoid u-turns in general whenever possible. The Audi nav does not and if you miss an interstate entrance it's generally faster to make a u-turn instead of keep going to the next entrance. It's just a matter of preference. I've gotta wonder, though, why you are missing interstate entrances at a frequency that elevates this to a major problem for you.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by irenesbob
I cannot speak for the OP, but sometimes I do take a shorter route even if I know it takes a bit longer. Reasons:
o I lease and I watch how many miles I am racking up, especially now that I am down to under 4 months left and am only a few thousand miles from $0.25/mile excess mileage charges.
o I lease and do not want to have to get new tires now that I am a few days under 4 months away from the lease termination. I group my chores/trips more than I usually do for this reason as well.
o Sometimes the shorter but more time consuming route has more interesting or peaceful things to see along the way, and I am retired.
You should probably reconsider leasing.

As for your third bullet point, if I wanna take a specific route for some reason, then I program it that way using stopovers. In cases like this, I usually plot the route on Google maps and then send the stopovers to the car and use them to put the route together on the MMI. I can do this in advance of the trip and save the route for future use.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree. If you want to sightsee, best to plan for yourself the route you want to take instead of letting a computer decide it for you. Besides, I've found ig you let the computer do a "shortest" route, it can often pick back roads and neighborhood streets that are selected even if only a few feet shorter than the "fastest" route would provide.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

You should probably reconsider leasing.

As for your third bullet point, if I wanna take a specific route for some reason, then I program it that way using stopovers. In cases like this, I usually plot the route on Google maps and then send the stopovers to the car and use them to put the route together on the MMI. I can do this in advance of the trip and save the route for future use.
Leasing is fine for me. I just set a goal to stay within the mileage and expenditure limits set at the outset of the lease and I am fine with that. Perhaps you mean that you would find such steps as I take to stay in those limits very annoying (even dumb - lol), and that’s fine, we are all different.
I did not mean to and don’t think I did say that I use NAV to plot scenic trips as I go. I was just responding to your comment "I'm curious, under what circumstances would you ever choose shortest route if the shortest route is not necessarily the fastest route." I did not see that comment as relating soley to the use of NAV; if that is what you meant, then I misunderstood. My usual use of NAV is primarily as a confirmation of my planned route that usually comes from experience and perhaps a brief review of an online map. I use the NAV to see if I am staying up with the planned ETA, etc. Seldom (except in new places) do I use it to tell me what roads to take, when to exit, etc. Most pf the time I keep the NAV lady's volume at the minimum setting and just check the screen now and again to see if the ETA has changed or if there is a traffic warning. Again, we’re all different and, as my posts here indicate, I have a less than typical interest in a lot of the technology and "bells & whistles" our cars offer.

Last edited by irenesbob; 08-31-2015 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: A6 2016 gps issues