Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

A6 Trunk Install deAutoLED Strip

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A6 Trunk Install deAutoLED Strip

Asking for insight on unclipping light prongs in order to install 48 LED Strip from deAutoLED. I see the bulb light housing and connector thru a hole in the trunk ceiling but can only touch one side of the prongs making the power connection. Anyone with experience doing this who can provide any tip(s) to disconnecting it from the bulb housing. Or, do I have to remove the entire bulb housing to make the separation. If so, how do I remove the housing? Seemed like it would be simple until I started feeling around and experienced the cramped quarters.

Second question, deAuto provides 3 adapters (Wedge/festoon/bayonet)** to plug into the existing trunk light housing. I'm assuming I use the white end** one but until I unhook I won't know for sure.
**Their info/clarification is sadly lacking

Am posting this in the C7 forum as I would like A6 experience in doing this and I have paged thru all the deAuto threads and found no help. I'll go to them if no A6 insight is forthcoming.

Thanks much,

James
Old 05-09-2019, 05:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What I remember is prying out the housing with a small screwdriver on the end opposite the plug then unplugging it. I did a home made light job so not sure what is offered by deAutoLED. I used bare wire to plug into the harness so I am guessing that is the bayonet? I found it hard to believe that Audi charges what they do and put the equivalent of a night light in the trunk. (Maybe just the chauffeur needs to look in there and who cares about their comfort.) Here are a couple of pics from what I did.

Before

After

Four of the five light blocks installed.

I got these on Amazon and had to extend some of the wires to find flat spots on the underside of the deck lid for some semblance of even distribution of light. Visible in the daylight now. The double sided tape used by the manufacturer has held up remarkably well. Tried a different light solution in my Passat and was disappointed. Not so here.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:57 PM
bpd
AudiWorld Member

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Pretty easy to remove the housing and look at what you need to do. Stick your hand up the backside and just push on the tab at the opposite end of where the power wire is.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to both of you. I got it out and now have to find the right connector for the LED strip. deAutoLED's 3 choices will not work. I will contact them to see what the problem is with their "plug and play" statement. My bulb has bayonet prongs and what they provide doesn't match. We'll see.

Thanks again.

James

Last edited by hotlips; 05-10-2019 at 05:06 PM. Reason: name misspelled