Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ADBLUE FORCE FIELD AFTER EMISSIONS TDI FIX

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it an ammonia smell by chance? Also what was the purpose of letting it idle in the parking lot, did you ask?
Old 01-06-2018, 08:51 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

I would think it is much more likely that the DPF went into regen mode where it burns off soot. I have heard that can be quite stinky when that cycle runs. Just a thought.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
I would think it is much more likely that the DPF went into regen mode where it burns off soot. I have heard that can be quite stinky when that cycle runs. Just a thought.
we all know that smell. It's more of a burning plastic smell when Regen happens.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2014a6tdi
we all know that smell. It's more of a burning plastic smell when Regen happens.
That's a bit presumptuous. If the OP doesn't know that smell, you can imagine that their comments are inline with exactly this regen occurring. I think it's well within reason.

And for the record, I picked up one of our TDIs with the fix today and no such increased odor noticed. It was idling in a confined place when I went out to get it. Nothing noticed then, not when I stopped on the way home, nor when I got back in, nor arriving home and parking in the garage. But today is a nice day here, so it's plausible there's a change that only impacts cold conditions too.

What I did notice is that shift points seemed raised to 2200 RPMs on the Q5 for light-to-casual acceleration. This was about 2000 or just below previously, IIRC. I plan to compare our 2 Q5s, one with and one without the fix to know for sure (that's why we're just doing 1 at first). That at least applied for the first 4-5 gears. Going into either 6th or 7th and above was a little lower. I did notice at the bare minimum acceleration (in our 25mph neighborhood), the car would shift before 2200, but not in real road driving conditions.

Furthermore, shifting into 8th gear does not happen automatically around 55mph as it did before. I often drive around that speed and recall it getting into 8th, whereas the taller final gear in the A7 requires higher speed before it gets into 8th so in this same commuting I wouldn't get the RPM advantage of both cars in 8th gear. This is what caused me to notice that the Q5 now doesn't auto shift into 8th at that speed (though you can manually shift into 8th at that point), and only auto shifts into 8th around 65mph instead.

Lastly, when putting into cruise control previously at a speed which would have otherwise been in 7th (ie 55ish and below), it would upshift into 8th. Now that doesn't happen either and cruise control stays in 7th unless you increase speed past that ~65mph point.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK, still smells like burning plastic though.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
That's a bit presumptuous. If the OP doesn't know that smell, you can imagine that their comments are inline with exactly this regen occurring. I think it's well within reason.

And for the record, I picked up one of our TDIs with the fix today and no such increased odor noticed. It was idling in a confined place when I went out to get it. Nothing noticed then, not when I stopped on the way home, nor when I got back in, nor arriving home and parking in the garage. But today is a nice day here, so it's plausible there's a change that only impacts cold conditions too.

What I did notice is that shift points seemed raised to 2200 RPMs on the Q5 for light-to-casual acceleration. This was about 2000 or just below previously, IIRC. I plan to compare our 2 Q5s, one with and one without the fix to know for sure (that's why we're just doing 1 at first). That at least applied for the first 4-5 gears. Going into either 6th or 7th and above was a little lower. I did notice at the bare minimum acceleration (in our 25mph neighborhood), the car would shift before 2200, but not in real road driving conditions.

Furthermore, shifting into 8th gear does not happen automatically around 55mph as it did before. I often drive around that speed and recall it getting into 8th, whereas the taller final gear in the A7 requires higher speed before it gets into 8th so in this same commuting I wouldn't get the RPM advantage of both cars in 8th gear. This is what caused me to notice that the Q5 now doesn't auto shift into 8th at that speed (though you can manually shift into 8th at that point), and only auto shifts into 8th around 65mph instead.

Lastly, when putting into cruise control previously at a speed which would have otherwise been in 7th (ie 55ish and below), it would upshift into 8th. Now that doesn't happen either and cruise control stays in 7th unless you increase speed past that ~65mph point.
Completely off topic but my wife and myself love your fleet of vehicles in your signature!
Old 01-14-2018, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanfZX14
Completely off topic but my wife and myself love your fleet of vehicles in your signature!
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2018, 04:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Transporter208
So what is that “last moment” for you? Has anyone looked at the court settlement document detail and determined how long we can push this recall off after the fix was approved and to be still eligible for the 2nd half of the payment??
I asked this question on the Audi Settlement "chat line" and was told the program ends in April 2020. So we have over two years to delay the fix and still get the 2nd half payment.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 882 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by Rjim
I asked this question on the Audi Settlement "chat line" and was told the program ends in April 2020. So we have over two years to delay the fix and still get the 2nd half payment.
I read the Settlement Papers and came to the same conclusion of the April 2020 deadline
Old 01-15-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I read the Settlement Papers and came to the same conclusion of the April 2020 deadline
This is good to know. I want to push this out for as long as I can to maximize the extended emissions warranty.

Quick Reply: ADBLUE FORCE FIELD AFTER EMISSIONS TDI FIX