Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Advice on LED, sports package and BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Been frequenting this site (have been really impressed with the knowledge base of many contributors) nearly two years and, before finalizing decision to order the A6 TDI Prestige, have a few questions.

LED option. I would like LEDs but for those with this option and have experienced snowy winters: any issues with snow/ice accumulation while driving necessitating that you to stop and clear? I live in an area where we experience substantial snowfall, which will accumulate on the car (with slush) while driving during snowstorms, however heat from the headlamps keeps same clear. Since the LEDs do not generate heat, the recent thread on headlight washers now piques my interest.

Sports Package Wheel Substitution. Have decided on the sports package for several reasons and note that an 18” 5 double-spoke (identical to 19” 5 double-spoke that is part of sports package) is offered on Audi Germany site. After reading many threads regarding sports package and taking multiple test drives, the 19” sport was actually more comfortable and fun to drive than the 19” non-sport maybe due to lower tire pressure, that the only sports package I drove was a Prestige (different seats) or all in my head. I also noted an appreciable difference between non-sport 18” and 19” ride. In any event, secondary to salt used to keep roads clear coupled with large winter temperature swings, our roads are awful and any extra sidewall afforded by the 18” would serve well to minimize damage to wheels, suspension and butt comfort. Also, as I keep cars 10 years, more rubber may be better in the long run.

This would not be a deal breaker, just asking if anyone knows whether trying to order a “non-US” wheel option would entail too many push-ups. If too many push ups to obtain the ‘foreign’ 18” 5 double-spoke, then what are the possibilities of substituting the standard 18” 5-V-spoke wheel in place of the 19” 5 double-spoke that comes with the sports package (but, really prefer appearance of 5 double-spoke).

Secondly, if either of the above substitutions is possible, would this have to be ‘factory performed’ so as to calibrate the odometer/speedometer as opposed to swapping wheels after the fact or, does same overall diameter makes this substitution immaterial?

BOSE Center dash speaker. [Now, this is a major issue.] Is there any way to control or in the alternative, eliminate this speaker without affecting any algorithms that steer sound to the other speakers? This particular BOSE sound system is simply not fun to listen to. This is the A6’s only deficiency, but a material issue given the time I spend in the car.

• With the volume low, all I really hear (perhaps ‘bothered by’ is more descript) is the center dash speaker, reminiscent of the mono AM car radios in the 60s.
• With the volume somewhat loud, the sound bounces off the windshield, overwhelming most of the sound from the other speakers and diminishing stereo separation. This is in contrast to the Bose (not great, but enjoyable) in my Infinity (limited to A-pillar, door and rear deck speakers) that I can enjoy music relatively loud and still converse with my wife (not always a good thing).
• Lack of bass is another deficiency noted and remedied by others in this Forum. Perhaps it is the lack of bass makes it appear as if most of the sound is emanating from the center dash. Following the well researched/detailed and ongoing thread by Subterfuse on improving his system, but somewhat reluctant to commit substantial resources/effort on a new car.
• If the AudioPilot can be inactivated using MMI, could too the center dash speaker (or using VAG-COM)? Some have noted an improvement in bass with such inactivation.
• Many on this Forum enjoy the B&O system, but none of the area dealers have one to listen to. Since it too has a center dash speaker, I may be plagued by the same issue but maybe B&O owners could comment (more controls?).
• Minor Rant: For a $60K+ car, one ought to be able to control more than fade & balance. This issue is not unique to Audi…seems like all manufacturers have succumbed to various 5.1 and beyond systems that are designed to play movie soundtracks as opposed to stereo recordings.
• BOSE Automotive initially responded to my inquiry regarding removal of the center dash speaker by sending me a test CD so that I could report back any noted deficiencies on various tracks(?!). They promise a response from engineering.
• Perhaps this question should be posted in the A/V forum?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you for reading this far.

LED Option-I highly recommend this not only for the unique look and how it brings the car to a higher level of sophistication but also for the clarity and illumination they provide. I found as I have become older, driving at night especially in the rain has become more challenging and the LED lights have made that easier for me. I owned cars with xenons and other lights but they weren't as clear or didn't light up the night to the level of the LED's IMO. Another nice part of the LED's is that they seem less distracting to other drivers. I have yet to be "flashed" by oncoming cars and that used to happen in the past.

Sports Package- I can only speak to the 20" wheel package but I absolutely love it. The majority of my travel is on surface streets and I don't consider the ride harsh. I have always purchased the touring or luxury options on cars to get smaller wheels and a more forgiving suspension as I want my commute to be comfortable. This is my first time straying into the sport option on a car and to be perfectly honest, I purchased it because I loved the look of the wheels and it was one of only a few cars available in the trim level on the lot. I will replace the awful summer tires with something more quiet when they wear out but have no plans to downsize the wheels. I also appreciate the lower stance and handling benefit of the sport option. If I still lived in the NE or in snow country anywhere I would not be open to the hazards of driving on these wheels and probably would go with the non sport model or swap the wheels since the roads are not as forgiving.

Off topic but I also plan to do a summer tire review in the spring since many people seem to feel driving in cold weather is just unacceptable with summer tires. I have been through very cold days (it will be 8 degrees here next week) without a single noticeable difference in ride quality or safety. Snow or other driving isn't in my plans but in the absence of that type of weather I don't see any appreciable issues. This is my experience only.

Sound System-some will say a 6k system is worth the investment but I can't agree. However that is my opinion and based on the fact I really dont spend a lot of time listening to music on my way to work. The option exists for those that do value the quality it provides just like a 15k TV will give you when watching movies. Its all a matter of opinion and value put on that experience. The best option is an aftermarket upgrade to get something better than the Bose without the expense of the B&O.

Hope this helps
Old 01-04-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as people discussed in other thread. The LED light's range seems a little shorter than the xenon. I occasionally can't see the road well enuf and need to turn on high beam to assist night driving. However I never tried the xenon at night so take it with a grain of salt.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
as people discussed in other thread. The LED light's range seems a little shorter than the xenon. I occasionally can't see the road well enuf and need to turn on high beam to assist night driving. However I never tried the xenon at night so take it with a grain of salt.
I've had Audis with LED, HID and halogen and I've found the HID and LED to be comparable in distance both in high/low beams. (How the headlights are level set can be a variable). The LEDs are a brighter white and have a wider angle of coverage than my others, however.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by q5q7
as people discussed in other thread. The LED light's range seems a little shorter than the xenon. I occasionally can't see the road well enuf and need to turn on high beam to assist night driving.
I had the same complaint and had the dealer raise the headlight aim just a tad. Afterwards, the LED lights went from good to spectacular.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The LEDs are fantastic. Everyone who rides my car comments on how bright and clear the lights are. As for the Bose, after the MMI upgrade, it was like getting a new set of speakers. I feel like the system was tuned differently. The original seemed like it was tuned for classical and vocals but the MMI upgrade tuned it for rock/pop. The speakers definitely more punchy.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The LEDs get warm enough that headlight washers aren't required (that's why they're there by the way ). You shouldn't need to stop and clear.

I find the LEDs provide a sharper, fuller light. It's much wider, especially when you turn on the all season/cornering lights. The cut off line for the LEDs is a very sharp edge so there's no light bleeding into oncoming traffic's eyes which is nice. I also agree they point down a little too far for my taste but I do most of my driving around the city/highways so it isn't an issue.