Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

AU: Oil on spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 10:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AU: Oil on spark plugs?

I made a thread a while back, though I now have had a bit of a breakthrough which really sums up the problem very differently.

I changed my PCV, Water Pump and Thermostat a while ago. Ever since doing it, my plugs have been fouling. I was sure it was fuel (probably because it made more sense), though today I can confirm it is oil.

It has been very weird and intermittent, although it has recently gotten worse. Initially, it was No. 3 Cylinder every single time. It has recently moved to being more No 1 and 2. It is only ever this bank, I have zero issues on the other. I am starting to consider some oil is getting sucked into the cylinder, which makes me think, perhaps my PCV is faulty. Has anyone ever heard of this? It is $350 for another one, would like some level of certainty before going that way.

Might be worth noting... The pipes that come from the PCV, going to the valve cover, have very little vacuum. The oil cap, has a lot less vacuum than it had just after I changed the PCV valve.

Last edited by shezza84; 02-22-2022 at 03:39 AM.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

6 out of the 8 plugs in my 2008 A6 4.2 were soaked in oil and the issue was the valve cover gaskets, just learning more about the 3.0T motor as I just purchased a 2016 A6 3.0T so I dont know if that could be an issue with yours but food for thought I guess...LOL
Old 02-25-2022, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjburden
6 out of the 8 plugs in my 2008 A6 4.2 were soaked in oil and the issue was the valve cover gaskets, just learning more about the 3.0T motor as I just purchased a 2016 A6 3.0T so I dont know if that could be an issue with yours but food for thought I guess...LOL
Were your spark plug tubes filling with oil? Because mine is definitely a deeper internal type of leak. No question, it happened less than 100KM after working on it. I don't know the connection, but there has to be one!!!

An update... I just installed a new PCV, no help. The main problem cylinder was 3, every time, it was 3. Now it has moved to 1. What on earth is happening?!
Old 02-25-2022, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

yeah…mine were a good 2+ inches up my coil packs, end of the plugs were extremely oil soaked and was getting cylinder misfire codes
Old 02-25-2022, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And yeah if there was no problem before it does seem like it would be related somehow.
Old 02-25-2022, 09:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jjburden
yeah…mine were a good 2+ inches up my coil packs, end of the plugs were extremely oil soaked and was getting cylinder misfire codes
I wish I had oil in my wells, I would love to change my gasket if it were the problem! But sadly, very dry wells...
Old 02-28-2022, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Read this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...3-2-a-2987300/

I think the lower valve cover gasket is non existent on the 3.0 TFSI. There would only be anaerobic sealant. Your camshaft guide frame (cam girdle) might need to be resealed.

Old 02-28-2022, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
Read this: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...3-2-a-2987300/

I think the lower valve cover gasket is non existent on the 3.0 TFSI. There would only be anaerobic sealant. Your camshaft guide frame (cam girdle) might need to be resealed.
Thanks for the post, that is an extremely extensive job! I wouldn't want to be guessing wrong before I started such a job, that if for certain! I looked through the post, I didn't see any mention of internal oil leaks into the cylinder. Maybe you could clarify?
Old 03-01-2022, 12:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by shezza84
Thanks for the post, that is an extremely extensive job! I wouldn't want to be guessing wrong before I started such a job, that if for certain! I looked through the post, I didn't see any mention of internal oil leaks into the cylinder. Maybe you could clarify?
I replaced my upper timing tensioners while at it which is why it was a lot more extensive. There has to be a way to perform this without having to remove the tensioners and the camshafts.

I guess the following is what you needed to see. Watch the video from 3:33.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kelisko
I replaced my upper timing tensioners while at it which is why it was a lot more extensive. There has to be a way to perform this without having to remove the tensioners and the camshafts.

I guess the following is what you needed to see. Watch the video from 3:33.
No oil on my coil packs or in the wells, it is definitely coming from inside the cylinder...

Quick Reply: AU: Oil on spark plugs?