A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Fixing oil in spark plug and other engine oil leaks on the 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 332 Likes on 281 Posts
Default Fixing oil in spark plug and other engine oil leaks on the 3.2

Shortcuts
Introduction and preview
How all of this started
The research
My findings
Procuring replacement parts
Procuring special tools
Other useful tools
Torque specifications
Considerations
Getting it started, engine sealing plug removal
Driver's side engine harness
Passenger's side engine harness
Warning! Protect your stuff
Getting ready to remove the upper timing chain covers
Removing the upper timing chain covers
Removing the valve covers
Turning the engine to TDC
Locking the engine at TDC
Removing the camshaft adjusters
Removing the upper timing chain tensioners
Removing the cam girdles (camshafts guide frames)
Cleaning stuff
Getting ready to install the cam girdles
Simulating the cam girdles installation
Installing the cam girdles onto cylinder heads
Audi green anaerobic sealant
Replacing the vacuum pump inner gaskets
Installing the upper timing chain tensioners
Installing the camshaft adjusters
Cranking engine
Understanding the plugs and bolts setup besides the driver's side upper timing chain cover
Removing the plug holders on the driver's side
Installing the upper timing chain covers
Installing plug holders at the back of the engine
Installing the vacuum pump
Installing engine sealing plug
Installing cylinder head covers (valve covers)
Replacing spark plugs and installing ignition coils
Connecting vacuum hoses
Installing other hoses and installing plugs
Installing intake ducts, hose and installing coolant reservoir
Changing engine oil
Testing the car

Extras
Replacing camshaft solenoid seals
Replacing oil filter housing gasket
Replacing camshaft solenoids
Replacing other oil seals
Replacing breather hose assembly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introduction and preview

This is a much needed job for the 3.2L FSI V6 engine after a decade or so.

The space between the cylinder head and the camshafts guide frame is where oil finds its way through when
(1) the gasket sealing the spark plugs and the camshaft solenoid and
(2) the anaerobic sealant between the cylinder head and the camshafts guide frame
have reached their end of life.

Finding space around the engine to remove and place back parts is the biggest challenge otherwise doing this job is relatively easy. While at it, it's a good idea to replace both upper timing chain tensioners, spark plugs gaskets, valve cover gaskets and every single bolt if possible. I will come back for more details but I wanted to show you guys a few pictures I took yesterday which show clearly enough what's going on in there.

Here is a schema of the cylinder head. People usually replace the cylinder head cover gasket (or valve cover gasket) but one thing to note is that if the upper cylinder head cover gasket is dead, the other lower cylinder head cover gasket sealing the spark plugs and camshaft solenoid is dead too and it is likely the anaerobic sealant between the cylinder head and the camshafts guide frame is dead as well.

Here is the passenger's side cylinder head. Brake booster vacuum pump (lower right), timing chain cover + tensioner (left), camshafts and guide frame (middle) were removed.

I locked the camshafts onto the guide frame with the camshaft locator tool for an easier install. Showing the passenger's side.

Here are both sides camshafts guide frames with camshafts locked in them with camshaft locator tools. Driver's side is on the left, passenger's side on the right.

Here are the guide frames flipped over. Passenger's side is on the left. You can now see the spark plugs and camshaft solenoid gaskets paths. Old brittle gaskets were removed.

Driver's side guide frame with camshafts locked into them prepared and ready to install. New spark plugs + camshaft solenoid gasket (black) and fresh anaerobic sealant (green).

Passenger's side.

Passenger's side guide frame with camshafts secured onto cylinder head. 8 Nm + 90 degrees in sequential order, inner to outer.

Last edited by kelisko; 07-27-2022 at 02:47 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by kelisko:
ascheppe (09-21-2023), bluedart (02-27-2022), jimjpublic (02-09-2020), Manolo Dumitru (06-02-2022), Sverige (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks once again for taking the time to write up a how-to article.
The following users liked this post:
Manolo Dumitru (06-02-2022)
Old 02-03-2020, 06:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Kelisko, Kudos! Brave man! That is the DIY I have been looking for. I have done the VC Gaskets, the solenoids, timing chain covers and oil filter housing. I am waiting on the timing chain tensioners as my bank 2 reading is only 4kw out presently. I knew after I did the VC Gaskets that the cam girdle seals were shot but logically i put that job on the docket with the timing chan tensioners.

I am looking forward to hearing about more of your experience with this repair.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome write up kelisko, thanks
Old 02-10-2020, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks guys. I finished the job yesterday. It took me three weeks but I worked only during weekends and some Fridays afternoon so the job took me about 8 days in total.

I have good news! Check the video below. I will organize all the information I saved during the job and post it later.

Description: Starting my 2005 Audi A6 after doing a major engine maintenance. The maintenance consisted of replacing the lower cylinder head cover gaskets (spark plugs and solenoid gaskets), resealing the camshafts guide frames (cam girdles) to the cylinder heads, replacing both upper timing chain tensioners, resealing the upper timing chain covers, replacing the upper cylinder head cover gaskets (valve cover gaskets), replacing spark plugs, replacing oil filter and flushing engine oil.

The following 2 users liked this post by kelisko:
Manolo Dumitru (06-02-2022), Sverige (02-19-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

How all of this started

My engine was leaking oil since the day I purchased the car. A few year later I decided to fix the leak and from what I found online, the valve cover gaskets are what I should replace. I cleaned the oily mess, replaced the valve cover gaskets which were indeed hard and brittle. While I was doing the valve cover gaskets job, I found oil in the spark plug holes. I thought replacing the valve cover gaskets would fix that too.

After replacing the valve cover gaskets, oil obviously stopped leaking out of the valve covers sealing surfaces. But a few months later, I was surprised to see oil leaking around the camshaft solenoids. Oil was definitely finding a way out and it was not through the valve covers.

Recently, cold starts started being very rough. I could hear loud chain noise but I thought of spark plugs. I checked the spark plugs and the holes were still getting flooded with oil which made me think that oil which was finding another way to get in there was probably causing electrical issues hence the rough starts. I cleaned the oil and reinstalled the spark plugs.

Also I started smelling oil burning after driving the car and white smoke started coming out of the engine bay after driving the car a little harder. Oil was probably dropping onto the exhaust system or something. That I did not worry about too much.

Then all starts, not just cold ones started being very rough with chain noise. And then all starts started being scary as the chain noise was ongoing for a long time before the engine smoothed out a bit and the whole car started vibrating. CEL is ON at this point. Scanning for faults returned Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) Implausible Signal. Measuring block 93 stopped reporting data and was showing extreme values that would not fluctuate at all.

I decided to stop using the car. I researched the sensor location, removed, cleaned and re-installed it, ordered a replacement and replaced it but nothing changed. You can see the car in the picture below very dusty because parked for a while. I went out to test drive hoping the issue would go away after a few miles but nope. Car lost power and was shaking badly at idle. I also attached a picture of the old camshaft position sensor.

Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

The research

It was obvious I had chain/timing/tensioner issues and the thread below was very helpful. Thanks to the thread starter and all of those who shared their experience.
DIY - A6 3.2 Upper Timing Chain Tensioner Replacement Thread: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...ement-2861500/

But how do I fix the other leaks? How does the oil get into the spark pug holes? Then I found the thread at the link below which made things a little clearer.
Oil leak from what appears to be the camshaft cap: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...ve-this-happen

I then gathered all the information I could and started preparing a job which I said to myself would either kill the car if I did something wrong or save it which I very much hoped.

Last edited by kelisko; 03-12-2020 at 02:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

where did you get the camshaft locator tool that appears to lock the camshaft in place?
Old 02-12-2020, 11:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by 09mazda6
where did you get the camshaft locator tool that appears to lock the camshaft in place?
That will come soon. Please stay tuned.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

My findings

After doing some research I came up with the following understanding.

Here is a picture of the passenger's side cylinder head.

Here are the potential oil leak locations.

Purple: Vacuum pump gasket. No sealant.
There is another gasket inside the vacuum pump which may also cause oil leaks if bad.
There is no vacuum pump on the driver's side. Instead there is an additional engine cap.

Blue: Upper valve cover gasket. No sealant.

Green: Lower valve cover gasket and anaerobic sealant.
You can see one engine cap on the passenger's side in the picture. There are two engine caps on the driver's side.

Red: Silicone sealant. No gasket.

Here is an exploded view with gaskets and sealant tubes

Last edited by kelisko; 02-13-2020 at 04:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by kelisko:
das60 (02-25-2024), Manolo Dumitru (06-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Fixing oil in spark plug and other engine oil leaks on the 3.2