Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

C7: disable dual climate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon

On a positive note, I think an awesome future enhancement would be MMI "Favorites" for top-level quick access to any user-determined menu....
I agree and in my next design I would have one button push to recall a list of "macros", that may be named, and they control any or all of the cars controllable configurations.

E.G. Macro 1 called "DB To Work":

Seat position
Mirror position
Map = night light
AC = off
Sync = On
Temp Lo
Fan Speed = 2
Driver Seat Vent = 1
Pass Seat Vent = Off
Inclement Weather lights = ON
Radio =XM
BT Pair = Phone #2
etc.

Macros override Fob Presets.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22
Macros override Fob Presets.
I was going to say I thought almost all of those got stored to the fob today - does this imply that you don't tie fobs to drivers?

I've thought it odd that the C7 decouples the door seat memory buttons from the key fob seat positioning, and I frankly don't yet quite understand the differences

It sounds like you'd like all the fob-stored functionality also stored to the seat memory buttons?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I was going to say I thought almost all of those got stored to the fob today - does this imply that you don't tie fobs to drivers?

I've thought it odd that the C7 decouples the door seat memory buttons from the key fob seat positioning, and I frankly don't yet quite understand the differences

It sounds like you'd like all the fob-stored functionality also stored to the seat memory buttons?
I think that the fob should be your generic base setting so the fob stays and I agree, the seat position should also be stored.

I drive with different styles according to numerous factors: time of day, who is in the car, want max driving style, relax etc.. I think that the macros would be useful for this. The fob would have recall able macros according to whose fob is recognized. It would mainly serve to save menu surfing to make a setup because cars systems these days are getting really bad. The new Acura MDX has 2 screens, duplicate functionality and sometimes a simple instruction is 3 menus deep. Maybe Apple is the answer because human interface in newer cars is not their long suit although the MMI is one of the best and I will never buy a car with a touch screen.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I drive with different styles according to numerous factors: time of day, who is in the car, want max driving style, relax etc..
Ahhh, gotcha, yeah I agree - that would be cool, each fob store a handful of macros/profiles. I guess I think of them more as profiles than macros (which I think of as actions) but I won't argue the semantics
Old 07-16-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure why you wouldn't want touch screen. For me the finger prints would drive me crazy. With an iPhone you can wipe it off with whatever you are wearing.

I would love to see the functionality of the touch pad increase akin to a laptop's touchpad. That might make it easier to navigate the menus

For example - today I was too lazy to enter a destination to navigate to (and a previous attempt couldn't find it with voice command in online destinations) so I used my iphone. I was pleasantly surprised that the voice navigation came through the Bluetooth (although obviously disrupted radio).

I think that the fob should be your generic base setting so the fob stays and I agree, the seat position should also be stored.

I drive with different styles according to numerous factors: time of day, who is in the car, want max driving style, relax etc.. I think that the macros would be useful for this. The fob would have recall able macros according to whose fob is recognized. It would mainly serve to save menu surfing to make a setup because cars systems these days are getting really bad. The new Acura MDX has 2 screens, duplicate functionality and sometimes a simple instruction is 3 menus deep. Maybe Apple is the answer because human interface in newer cars is not their long suit although the MMI is one of the best and I will never buy a car with a touch screen.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mike-nd
Not sure why you wouldn't want touch screen. ).
Most touchscreens are located in the center of the dash and at arms reach. That requires your arm to be outstretched and to type on a virtual keyboard while being bounced around on American roads. Does anyone hold their IPad a foot to the right of center and 2 feet away from you when they type? Obviously not and for good reason, now try it while bouncing over bumps in the road. The finger prints on the screen is minimal compared to the entry errors that transpire when using one in the real world of driving.