Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cabin noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cabin noise

How quite is your cabin, do you have snap, crackle and pops. Coming from BMW the cabin was full of rattles, most of them coming from the rear of the cabin like the door panels, seat and the shelf. Is this something that the A6 has been able to over come?
Old 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM
Banned

It depends? How are the roads in your area? I've seen some videos on YouTube from WindingRoad and I think they are in Michigan. The roads look and sound terrible in the videos.

Here are some samples:

Audi S7

Porsche Cayenne Diesel

BMW M5
Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

Yeah, mine rattles occasionally. NYC roads suck. My X5M rattled a lot too, but nothing was as bad as the CTS-V. It rattled and squeaked from day one.

I spoke to a rep from Mercedes and he was telling me that everything is going to rattle here. Just gotta keep going to the dealer to have parts realigned and refastened to get rid of them as they come.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine is very quiet with no rattles, but I chose my options specifically to get as quiet and smooth a ride as possible:

- no Sport package
- smallest wheels/highest profile tires: 245/45R18
- grand touring all-season tires: Continental ContiProContact, rather than high performance tires
- lowest rated air pressure: 32/29 psi

I believe that the more of these factors you remove, the tires and suspension will be stiffer and more shock gets transmitted into the cabin, so eventually parts will get loose and cause rattles.
Old 11-25-2013, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2004-2008 Acuras all had a few creaks, my 2009 AWD TL was tight like a bank vault, never a peep. My 2011 Infiniti M37S had a few when new that dealer got quiet. My A6 seems very quiet and tight, nothing other than a random buzz in back deck under some rate bass scenarios. I rather impressed how tight the build is on my A6.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by newmoon
Mine is very quiet with no rattles, but I chose my options specifically to get as quiet and smooth a ride as possible:

- no Sport package
- smallest wheels/highest profile tires: 245/45R18
- grand touring all-season tires: Continental ContiProContact, rather than high performance tires
- lowest rated air pressure: 32/29 psi

I believe that the more of these factors you remove, the tires and suspension will be stiffer and more shock gets transmitted into the cabin, so eventually parts will get loose and cause rattles.
When removing those factors why not just remove the Audi badge as well. To me it makes no sense to buy a car like this and strip it down like this. Just my opinion.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alvam
When removing those factors why not just remove the Audi badge as well. To me it makes no sense to buy a car like this and strip it down like this. Just my opinion.
lol, well maybe it's because I'm all the way down in South Florida and the roads are all flat and straight for about a 700 mile radius from here. Doesn't make much sense for me to get sport suspension or high performance tires if I barely make any turns. But that's the good thing about it. Same car--A6, different options, and you can get the ride that suits your needs the best.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alvam
Its not stripped. I have the same stuff on mine. Frankly, thats the quickest specification. Smaller wheels are lighter and take less power to turn. So its the most luxurious riding and the quickest. Perfect spec for people who don't care for profiling.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Its not stripped. I have the same stuff on mine. Frankly, thats the quickest specification. Smaller wheels are lighter and take less power to turn. So its the most luxurious riding and the quickest. Perfect spec for people who don't care for profiling.
I agree. I went a step further and got the 2.0 Quattro. It saves 144 lbs. on the front end, making the ride and handling better in my opinion. I went from a 2010 A6 3.0 supercharged prestige to a 2013 A6 2.0 Premium Plus. To me the newer car is all around better and the lighter front end seems to really make the car more agile. I have driven a bud’s 2013 3.0 and it feels heavier and less agile to me. I can’t stand the look of those super low-profile tires some guys stick on their Audis. I guess there is always the person who would “put feet on a snake” as they say. I can see sprucing up a cheap little car, but leave well enough alone when you get a well-designed car like Audi and others, IMHO.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall there was some articles a while back that the reason for years the Germans stuck with 17 and 18 inch wheels was that was the sweet spot for handling vs. the trade off of extra unstrung weight. Large wheels was a US thing that I suspect the car makers all add to remain competitive. I admit I like the look of large wheel low profile tires, but you can feel how it impacts ride when all that unsprung weight reacts with irregular roads and bumps.

Quick Reply: Cabin noise