Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cleaning clear film auto mask

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning clear film auto mask

I opted to get the CilaJet sealant and the clear film auto mask put on my phantom black A6 at the dealer when I bought it. Not sure the auto mask was a good choice. After 3,000 miles of road trips I cannot get the bug residue off the front of the hood where the auto mask is applied. I've been washing the car with the 2 bucket method once a week, but the bug spot/residue is not coming off. I know the idea of the auto mask is to prevent rock chips, but I didn't think that I wouldn't be able to keep it clean. Any ideas? Is there a way to clean it so it looks like new? Or should I try to have the auto mask taken back off (is that possible)?
Old 10-28-2012, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

You could try a bit of isopropyl alcohol and if that doesn't work, the bugs are probably etched into the film and nothing will get the stains out at this point. Other than replacing the film.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Like Snagit said, I'd try rubbing alcohol on it. You can also use cleaner wax on the film too. Once it's cleaned, it's a good idea to place wax over on top of it. I always have 'clear bra' on my cars and dead bugs are not a problem to get off. Just like paint, if you do not wash them off soon enough, it can etch onto the film. Hope this helps.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KarKid
Like Snagit said, I'd try rubbing alcohol on it. You can also use cleaner wax on the film too. Once it's cleaned, it's a good idea to place wax over on top of it. I always have 'clear bra' on my cars and dead bugs are not a problem to get off. Just like paint, if you do not wash them off soon enough, it can etch onto the film. Hope this helps.
What kind of cleaner wax would you recommend?
Old 10-28-2012, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bobinwa
I opted to get the CilaJet sealant and the clear film auto mask put on my phantom black A6 at the dealer when I bought it. Not sure the auto mask was a good choice. After 3,000 miles of road trips I cannot get the bug residue off the front of the hood where the auto mask is applied. I've been washing the car with the 2 bucket method once a week, but the bug spot/residue is not coming off. I know the idea of the auto mask is to prevent rock chips, but I didn't think that I wouldn't be able to keep it clean. Any ideas? Is there a way to clean it so it looks like new? Or should I try to have the auto mask taken back off (is that possible)?
Not sure which paint protection film product you have installed on your car but it does not sound like it's Avery Dennison's Nano-Fusion® film. Their product is extremely resistant to bug spots/residue due to its chemically resistant topcoat (the film itself is urethane). If the film on your vehicle is a typical urethane, the stains are likely permanent--try the isopropyl alcohol but nothing stronger. If you want the chip protection afforded by paint protection film, remove what you have on your car and have the Nano-Fusion product installed. It simply works!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Or go with Xpel Ultimate. Bugs come off easily with washing or a tiny bit of rubbing alcohol if they're stubborn. The film is coated with it's own clearcoat so can be waxed with the same stuff as used on your paint and the film is self healing from rock hits. Do a search on the forum - lots of good comments and info on the Ultimate. I'm very pleased with mine after 4000 miles.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bobinwa
What kind of cleaner wax would you recommend?
There are many different cleaner wax out there. Meguiar has one. It looks like you are in WA state. Griot's has some nice product line too. Hopefully you can get them off and not an actual 'etched' stain.

There are different clear film makers out there, just like the tint films. They all claim 'self healing', but the truth is that if the object is big enough and hit your car at 60mph, nothing is self-healing. It's an extra layer of protection to protect your paint. Perhaps you can post a photo of the stain/bug?
Old 10-28-2012, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by KarKid
There are different clear film makers out there, just like the tint films. They all claim 'self healing', but the truth is that if the object is big enough and hit your car at 60mph, nothing is self-healing. It's an extra layer of protection to protect your paint.
Which other films claim self healing? I'd be interested to read about them.
You are right that no film can repulse a large rock but smaller gravel usually hits at a shallow angle and can still cause a paint chip or scratch. With a self healing film like Xpel Ultimate, it can recover from a small hit as well as being stain and bug resistant with it's integrated clearcoat.

All I can say is the Xpel Ultimate is superior to any other film I've used over the years. 4000 miles and not one chip or stain. Best investment I've made on my A6.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great replies - thanks! I don't know who makes the film I have but will find out and research my options.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Snagit, you are correct. Xpel ultimate is the only one who claims self healing. As I re-read my post, I meant to say "they can all claim self healing". People always have their preferences and we tend to think whatever we paid for is the greatest out there. Xpel, Nano-fusion, or even 3m..... they all protect the paint better than not having one. xpel ultimate and nano-fusion are newer products on the market. Xpel, as a company, has been around for a long time and the ultimate line looks great as minor scratches go away by itself. But if the object/stone is big enough, nothing will help to protect that paint.

To Bob, I do not believe he is looking for a new install. He simply wants to find out how to remove the stain. Apology to the OP for the needless debate on the films.

Quick Reply: Cleaning clear film auto mask