Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cleaning clear film auto mask

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Also could try a clay bar.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

KarKid, no question that anything of substance will self heal. Even Xpel Ultimate won't self heal as a result of a piano falling from a 4 story building on your car. (Unless maybe it's a glancing blow?). It's those small damned hood and fender chips that I'm hoping to avoid.

After a great deal of research, I took the plunge on the more expensive Ultimate. The shop I used are experts on this stuff (that's all they use) and they custom cut every piece - they don't use kits and they wrap all edges possible.

So far, so good. No chips and bugs come off easily. I wax it it like the rest of the car and you can't see the film. I'm a believer. (Can you tell )?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im having good luck with mine as well, although the coat of wax really did help. Before that it would take some elbow grease to get the bugs off, now they come off readily.

Having said that, my challenge is getting the edge of the film buffed appropriately after waxing. I swear I have it perfect (now wax residue showing at the edge), and I come out the next day and I can see the edge again. Hmmm, maybe I should have done the full hood

In all seriousness, its really not an issue, when I have the edge buffed correctly, the line is almost invisible, and I think the film has already saved me. Im CERTAIN it will preserve the front of the car once winter sets in and the sand goes down on the roads.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Snagit, yes I know you are a big fan of the ultimate.

JC, what I had done in the past with the hood line before waxing (Zaino in my case), I taped it with blue painter tape right over the line. This way, you will not get any residue buildup at the edge. After I wiped off clean/buffed, I then remove the tape. It worked very well for me and it doesn't pull the film off.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Im having good luck with mine as well, although the coat of wax really did help. Before that it would take some elbow grease to get the bugs off, now they come off readily.

Having said that, my challenge is getting the edge of the film buffed appropriately after waxing. I swear I have it perfect (now wax residue showing at the edge), and I come out the next day and I can see the edge again. Hmmm, maybe I should have done the full hood

In all seriousness, its really not an issue, when I have the edge buffed correctly, the line is almost invisible, and I think the film has already saved me. Im CERTAIN it will preserve the front of the car once winter sets in and the sand goes down on the roads.
JC, you might want to try Optimum Spray Wax. My Ultimate installer told me that's all he uses on the high end exotic cars they detail so I tried it. It works great (lots of good reviews), is easily applied and no wax buildup on any film edges. With a couple of quality microfiber cloths, I can wax the car in 20 minutes and though Optimum claims it will last about 90 days, I like to do a quick coat after every second or third wash. Check the reviews on line.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
JC, you might want to try Optimum Spray Wax. My Ultimate installer told me that's all he uses on the high end exotic cars they detail so I tried it. It works great (lots of good reviews), is easily applied and no wax buildup on any film edges. With a couple of quality microfiber cloths, I can wax the car in 20 minutes and though Optimum claims it will last about 90 days, I like to do a quick coat after every second or third wash. Check the reviews on line.
Thanks Snagit... Ill have to give that a try. I did a full wax a few weeks ago, it looks great, bu sure took me more than 20 minutes, and I do have a little build up at the film edges edges - nothing that cant be dealt with, but it is still a pain.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MileHighJC
Thanks Snagit... Ill have to give that a try. I did a full wax a few weeks ago, it looks great, bu sure took me more than 20 minutes, and I do have a little build up at the film edges edges - nothing that cant be dealt with, but it is still a pain.
The Optimum is really a true wax and not just a detailer spray. You just spray it on and wipe it right off - no mess, no waiting, no heavy buffing your brains out. I started off with a bottle at $17 and liked it so much that I've since purchased a 2 gallon bottle. I'll never screw around with paste again. I figured if it was good enough for Unique Car Care in MA to use on Porches, Ferraris and an R8 or two, it was good enough for me. He does recommend claying the paint every once in awhile to get the car really clean and end up with the very best shine (prob good advice for any detail). Do not clay the film though!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

What do you folks think of the OP trying tried and true "bug and tar remover"? I use a Turtle Wax product on the paint and think it does really well on the following: dried-on bugs, bird poop, calcium-looking drops from going under concrete bridges/overpasses being repaired, rusty droplets from going under dirty, rusty old bridges/overpasses. I put a little bit on the nasty stain on the paint, move it gently around with a soft rag or my finger tip, let it sit for 5 minutes or so, then buff gently with a clean, soft rag. 90+ percent of the time the stuff comes off easily. I usally wash the area after that then apply some kind of wax or detail spray and never see the mark.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Not sure if the chemicals in the bug and tar remover would be a good idea on the plastic film.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would anyone mind throwing out a ballpark estimate for installation of Xpel Ultimate or Fusion? How much more to do the entire hood as many have alluded to? And the film can be waxed like the rest of the car? If years down the road, the film looks like *** from sun fade, rocks, etc., can it be removed without harming the finish?

Quick Reply: Cleaning clear film auto mask