Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

gear not engaging; 2012 A6 3.0T tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear not engaging; 2012 A6 3.0T tiptronic

My car has had an issue a couple of times on cold mornings lately. I start the car, put it in drive or reverse. let off the brake and try to move. The car will not move. If I rev a little the car jolts and then works moves. The second time this happened, I got the little gear warning on the dash indicating a transmission failure and I heard a strange scraping noise. I pulled off the road and stopped the car. Restarted and everything was fine. I drove 100s of miles between the first and second time this happened.

Any ideas what this issue could be or if it indicates a huge issue or something like low fluid levels?

thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by miahshodan
My car has had an issue a couple of times on cold mornings lately. I start the car, put it in drive or reverse. let off the brake and try to move. The car will not move. If I rev a little the car jolts and then works moves. The second time this happened, I got the little gear warning on the dash indicating a transmission failure and I heard a strange scraping noise. I pulled off the road and stopped the car. Restarted and everything was fine. I drove 100s of miles between the first and second time this happened.

Any ideas what this issue could be or if it indicates a huge issue or something like low fluid levels?

thanks in advance.
Transmission failure light, happened twice and drove hundreds of miles and now you want to get it checked out! You may want a diagnosis before the diagnosis is really easy?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DB22

Transmission failure light, happened twice and drove hundreds of miles and now you want to get it checked out! You may want a diagnosis before the diagnosis is really easy?
I agree I would have had that checked out the first time it happened!

Old 01-15-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

no light the first time (about a month ago), car just revved, but didn't go anywhere. light only showed up yesterday, then went away after the restart.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How many k on your car? Reverse not engaging is a mechatronics failure symptom!!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

~90,000 miles. Had the same problem with reverse and drive. First time it wouldn't move in reverse so I went to drive and nothing there either. Put it in park and revved the engine and put it back in reverse and it worked no problem. Second time I put it in drive and it wouldn't work revved it in gear (probably a bad idea) it caught and surged forward. In between it has had no issues.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

isn't mechatronic only for s-tronic? mine is the 8 speed tiptronic automatic.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

isn't mechatronic only for s-tronic? mine is the 8 speed tiptronic automatic.
Whatever, but you need to get your car into a good shop rather than ask people here what they think it might be. I still would have taken mine in after the first incident that you described. I am not trying to jump on you, just emphasize that you need to do something constructive before your car breaks entirely.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

thanks, I have an appointment to have it looked at by the dealer along with getting a recall done, but I was wondering if others had had similar issues and could tell me if it ended up being a glitch that I shouldn't worry aobut, or a case of don't drive it another mile your are doing permanent damage, or something in-between.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

or a case of don't drive it another mile your are doing permanent damage
That's my vote!

Quick Reply: gear not engaging; 2012 A6 3.0T tiptronic