Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Help with Brake/Rotor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Brake/Rotor Replacement

Hi,
I have a 2013 Audi A6 Quattro Prestige with 20"Rims. it has 40,000 miles on it. The replace brake light just came on. Is there any way to find out from the sensor light if this is the front brakes or the rear brakes or both?

AIso I have a shop that can replace the brakes and allows me to buy the parts. Since it is recommended I was thinking of replacing both the pads and the rotors

Can someone recommend good quality (and budget friendly) brake pads and rotors that I can buy online. I found the following brake pads and rear rotors from Amazon, but have had no luck finding good and economical front rotors. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Rear Brakes Rear Brakes
Rear Rotors Rear Rotors
Front Brakes Front Brakes

Last edited by rimmi2002; 04-08-2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Before you do anything, verify what is needed. The fronts are probably worn, but that light comes on very early.
Given that you don't really have a pad in mind or a good place to source them, why not just let the shop get them? There are tons of choices; figure out what your needs are and ask the shop to source (track use? live on top of a mountain? city driving? low dust? etc)
Old 04-08-2018, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Before you do anything, verify what is needed. The fronts are probably worn, but that light comes on very early.
Given that you don't really have a pad in mind or a good place to source them, why not just let the shop get them? There are tons of choices; figure out what your needs are and ask the shop to source (track use? live on top of a mountain? city driving? low dust? etc)
The car is basically for standard suburbia driving. The car will be driven in a low dust environment. We drive about 8-10K miles a year. So it gets light use. most shops normally upcharge the parts and many times don't provide the best parts. In my experience I can only normally get same/better parts at half the price that the shop is quoting me. So I normally prefer to buy the parts myself. I have a good reliable shop that can install it for $105/axle.

Normally on Amazon I am able to find the parts. This time there are not many choices on Amazon (Most have no reviews). I have never bought parts for Audi before. Is there another better source out there? also I was not sure if my Tire size (20") changes the size of the rotors I need?

Last edited by rimmi2002; 04-08-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
Hi,
I have a 2013 Audi A6 Quattro Prestige with 20"Rims. it has 40,000 miles on it. The replace brake light just came on. Is there any way to find out from the sensor light if this is the front brakes or the rear brakes or both?

AIso I have a shop that can replace the brakes and allows me to buy the parts. Since it is recommended I was thinking of replacing both the pads and the rotors

Can someone recommend good quality (and budget friendly) brake pads and rotors that I can buy online. I found the following brake pads and rear rotors from Amazon, but have had no luck finding good and economical front rotors. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Rear Brakes
Rear Rotors.genuine
Front Brakes
You might want to check the following websites for the parts you need; www.genuineaudiparts.com; www.audionlineparts.com; www.audipartssupply.com; and www.audiusaparts.com. Good hunting !
Old 04-18-2018, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stealthTDI
You might want to check the following websites for the parts you need; www.genuineaudiparts.com; www.audionlineparts.com; www.audipartssupply.com; and www.audiusaparts.com. Good hunting !
Thank you. I'm a little confused when I check for brakes and rotors they come in many variations from my model: 2013 A6 Quatrro Prestige (20" wheels). 400mm/356mm/320mm rotors for the front brakes. How do I know which one is the right fit for my car. According to the website all of them fit.

https://www.audionlineparts.com/auto...nt-brakes-scat

Thank you.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Rotor sizes by model/engine:
A6 2.0L - 13.6/13.0 (345/330 mm)

A6 3.0L - 14.0/13.0 (356/330 mm)

A6 TDI- 13.6/13.0 (345/330 mm)

S6 - 15.7/14.0 (400/356 mm)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Best thing is to use the PR code from the little square sticker in the trunk. I.e., my 2013 A6 2.0L is different than above post (things change year to year, etc.):

Front rotor(1LA): 320mm dia, 30mm thick new, 28mm min
Rear rotor(1KW): 300mm dia, 12mm thick new, 10mm min
Old 04-21-2018, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rimmi2002
Hi,

Can someone recommend good quality (and budget friendly) brake pads and rotors that I can buy online. I found the following brake pads and rear rotors from Amazon, but have had no luck finding good and economical front rotors. Any advice would be great.
Take a look at Rockauto.com prices. It might be less expensive to select what you want on-line and buy locally. Rotors are heavy.

Centric Stop Tech makes good high carbon and coated rotors. Zimmerman is another name mentioned. Ceramic pads reduce brake dust on your wheels but they lack the initial bite of the OEM semi-metallic pads. You will need two wear sensors for the left side inner pads. Some pads include a sensor.

My used A7 has the ACC which uses the rear calipers to slow down. The previous owner used it and I found my rear pads had the most wear when I replaced them.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Curious regarding the sensor comment. I have a set of front Akebono Euro pads that came with 2 sensors. I have rear Akebono Euro that didn't come with a sensor. Are these sensors useable for both front and rear? They're identical and have no identifying information.

Also, any idea about using Centric Stop Tech rotors paired with Akebono. Many have mentioned using Zimmerman with Akebono. Don't know anything about Centric but am open to what rotors I will order in the next week or so. Price is probably similar I expect.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2018, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
Best thing is to use the PR code from the little square sticker in the trunk. I.e., my 2013 A6 2.0L is different than above post (things change year to year, etc.):

Front rotor(1LA): 320mm dia, 30mm thick new, 28mm min
Rear rotor(1KW): 300mm dia, 12mm thick new, 10mm min
Where is this sticker located?

Quick Reply: Help with Brake/Rotor Replacement